Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Austin , Texas
'75 Overlander city water connection and other questions

Hi all! I'm a new owner of a 27 foot '75 Overlander with a rear bedroom. She's pretty much completely original, and excepting a leak at the water heater and the fridge not working at all, everything seems to work- everything I've tested so far at least.
I am pretty green, and if it matters, a single female; but am handy and technically inclined, own my own tools, and usually know when I shouldn't do something myself. I'm preparing to full time in her, but have some time before I need to be moved in and using all the systems full time. Since I will be by myself on the road, I definitely want things set up properly but sometimes that's a hard thing to discern amongst all the well meaning advice.

So...the plumbing. Got the sewer connection done. Actually the overeager gentlemen at my RV lot did... with PVC pipe, but that's ok. I know how to undo that and put on the right stuff. The problem seems to be with the city water connection. The pipe is smaller than a standard garden/potable water hose connection- it's 3/4 of an inch while the hose is 5/8. My helpers were stumped. They taped a hose to it while I was inside "to test it"... and blew off a small hose under the bathroom sink. More easily fixed than my too short electrical hose that was cut and 'spliced' to another instead of waiting for me to get an extension.... ...tightening the hose clamp, I resolved to repair it myself before they came back.

I thought it wouldn't be hard to find a coupler to let me connect them anyway, but it appears I was wrong. I now have a large but useless collection of hose couplers and repair kits, but still no water. Yesterday the RV lot owner showed up with an ancient piece of plumbing he thought might work and spent 10 minutes haranguing me (again) about how useless the water pressure regulator I'd connected to the water hose was, and got upset with me for asking him to show me the part before putting it on...so I'd like to try and find the right part before he finds whatever he's looking for.

After I get the water connected, what next? How do I flush the system and ensure it's all clean/working?
What hidden places do I need to look at, and how do I get to them, to look for leaks?
Is there, somewhere in the overwhelming amount of great info here, instructions on how to flush out your fresh, grey, and black water tanks when first coming into possession of an older trailer?
First steps with the toilet, testing the pump(s)?
Also, I haven't found any tanks inside the trailer, and none are visible underneath. Are they embedded in the flooring? How do I get a look at them to see if they are in good order? I know no one here can account for modifications by the original owner- but I will say that everything appears to be factory in my rig, right down to the gold rubber shower curtain and the bathroom sink hair trap.

Yes, I will post pictures....

Old 06-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Ok, really? 27 views and NO replies? I know my questions are probably pretty basic stuff, and I am and have been dilligently searching the forums past postings, but... I'm not finding the answers I need.
Anyway, I was hoping some of you who I know have run into this yourselves might share just exactly which parts you cobbled together to make a connection since I couldn't figure it out from your pictures of fixes.
For those who may find themselves in my shoes, I finally tracked down a hose bib that had a 1/2 inch pipe connection (the pipe that I mentioned measured 3/4 inch on the outside is a 1/2 inch pipe) leading to a 5/8 garden hose connection, harder to locate than one might think. This left me with a male 3/4 spout to connect to, of course the end of the hose is also male. Surprisingly, male to male connectors aren't too easy to find, Home Depot and Lowes guys seemed to think they don't exist. By the time I hit all the hardware stores it was after dark. So in the morning I'll be performing hose surgery to remove the male end of my drinking water hose and replace it with a female end. Which will give me the chance to make a custom length hose. I'll add pics of all of this in the morning. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
TrailerVamp,
Welcome to Airstreaming and the forums. I will try to help you out a little.

First off your sewer copnnection on a 75 will most likely be a Thetford connection and all modern day sewer connections are Valtera. So you will need one of these if you want to use Valtera brand connections...

Thetford to Valterra Adapter

And you can look here for other Thetford style connectors...

Thetford Valves & Fittings

Your friendly neighborhood RV dealer probably will not have these types of fittings.

As for sanitizing your potable (fresh) water tank...here's a link to the method I use...

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System

The drain valve for your potable water tank will be under the trailer.

As for flushing your gray and black tanks a Flush King may help. it's what I use to flush our gray tank.

And yes your three tanks (potable, black, and gray) are not readily visible. Once you get water hooked up and pressurize the system, run the water at all faucets and toilet to make sure there is no air in the system. Once the air is purged just look around inside and under the trailer. If you have any major leaks they will be readily apparent. To test the potable water and on board pump you should obviously have water in the tank and be disconnected from any city water. Look for a switch in the bathroom or galley that might be labeled pump. Turn it on and hopefully in a few moments, after the pump primes itself, you'll have water running.

As for your water connection issue...pictures would be a big help.

You may also want to PM UTEE94. He lives in Austin also and might be able to give you a hand getting to know your Airstream and systems better. He is a good guy and knows his way around Airstreams.

Good luck, keep us updated, and keep asking questions.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello and welcome to airforums.com, TrailerVamp! We hope you sort all your questions out quickly, before your local RV camp guy blows a fuse!

I have never heard of your problem with hose fitting sizes, but a quick fix for the "male to male" issue is to get a nice fresh new white (for potable water) hose from any RV parts place, and if it doesn't have a male fitting on the end you need it to, just cut off the female end and put a male one on, available at any hardware store.

Too many adapters is rarely a good thing.

Yes, your tanks are all under the belly pan, that sheet of aluminum covering the bottom of your TT (travel trailer). You can see the neck of the black tank by looking down your toilet. That tank sits directly below it.

Advise you track down an owners manual and a service manual for your trayla, you will find them invaluable. Look on the airstream.com website under "Service", I think they have a link in there to order them from "Secretarial Services".

Here's hoping your water leak in the water heater is just a bad fitting, and not a hole in the tank, as it was on my '74 last November, them varmints is spendy!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerVamp View Post
Is there, somewhere in the overwhelming amount of great info here, instructions on how to flush out your fresh, grey, and black water tanks when first coming into possession of an older trailer?
First steps with the toilet, testing the pump(s)?
Also, I haven't found any tanks inside the trailer, and none are visible underneath. Are they embedded in the flooring? How do I get a look at them to see if they are in good order? I know no one here can account for modifications by the original owner- but I will say that everything appears to be factory in my rig, right down to the gold rubber shower curtain and the bathroom sink hair trap.

Yes, I will post pictures....
You betcha --- I'm going to hedge a bet and say that there are probably instructions on most everything you want or need to do to your Airstream loaded within this forum. The largest problem is: finding it!!! The Google option on this forum's Search Function is pretty good. And don't get too frustrated by the *number of views to a post vs the answers* too quickly--- the replies will come!

After saying that, I've never read about the problem you are experiencing with the city water inlet. Weird!

You will definately benefit from a Service Manual as well. Unfortunately, I've found that the Owners Manual to be, ahem, almost useless. It details the options, but the instructions for use of the options are limited or non-existent! This forum fills in nicely for those inquiries!

Love your rear bedroom - think I would have preferred that myself. Sigh. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Laura

Tags
city water, 1975 overlander