Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
'65 caravel galley pump switch

I have a wall switch near the kitchen sink that the owners manual says is for controlling the pump. No other switch on the wall. Funny thing is, it seems to only control the main ceiling fan. Does anyone else have this problem?

There wasn't a pump installed when I got the rig, but I have a PAR pump ready to go in. Anyone know which wires I'm looking for at the switches? I found an orange wire thats hot and not connected to anything, maybe thats it?
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
As the manual says that was the switch for the water pump. Someone must have modified it. Sorry but I don't know enough about the wiring to tell you what to do. I'm sure someone here will know.....
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
San Marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
i also have a 65 caravel and didnt realize that an owners manual is available. where did you get one? i would love one or a copy. i have just had the caravel about a month and have just replaced a whole lot of skin. what a job!!!
kevinkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkatz View Post
i also have a 65 caravel and didnt realize that an owners manual is available. where did you get one? i would love one or a copy. i have just had the caravel about a month and have just replaced a whole lot of skin. what a job!!!
ebay 1965 Airstream Owners Manual 120+ Pages:eBay Motors (item 260436675624 end time Jul-26-09 23:18:44 PDT)
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
I have a wall switch near the kitchen sink that the owners manual says is for controlling the pump. No other switch on the wall. Funny thing is, it seems to only control the main ceiling fan. Does anyone else have this problem?

There wasn't a pump installed when I got the rig, but I have a PAR pump ready to go in. Anyone know which wires I'm looking for at the switches? I found an orange wire thats hot and not connected to anything, maybe thats it?
The wall switch is for the 12v water pump, sound like the p.o. rewired it to a new fan.
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Free Caravel Manual

If you have the '65 Caravel you are in luck. There is one posted to the Airstream.net site that can be downloaded fro free.

The Vintage Airstream Club

Of course, you may want to buy the hard copy one.

Bill
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
65 caravel galley pump switch

I am not certain precisely how much changed between 1964 and 1965 in regard to the switch, but in my Overlander that switch also controlls the power supply to:
  • 12-Volt porch light outlet -- this was to accommodate the accessory home-style porch light that screws into the outlet.
  • both roof mounted vent fans
  • the original water pump (for easier access, my water pump was relocated next to the water tank so this no longer controlls my water pum).
  • the electric hitch jack -- this may be something of a fluke since this feature was added as an aftermarket accessory ten years ago.
My theory has been that the switch was connected to the water pump and ceiling vent fans to be something of a fail-safe to protect against problems that might arise should the power be continually supplied to those devices while underway.

Good luck in sorting out your wiring!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel