Old 08-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Dan, for now all I can do is to carry extra water in portable containers. I developed a pump system which allows me to pump the water from the 6 or 7 gal containers I purchased at Wal Mart into the main tank without lifting them to pour them in. A little 12 volt pump does the transfer. As I almost exclusively boondock, yes, it is a real issue but I knew it when I decided to buy a new rig. I was out for 9 days and got back last week, and had to add my water stach of two, plus one extra container.

BTW, the 23 gal tank also is on the 23' FC, and the smaller 19's and 16's.

As I get older, even hauling 6 to 7 gal of water around (50 pounds) by hand is not something I look forward to, and then there is the place to store it in the Jeep, plus the weight there.

Sometimes I wonder about what Airstream is thinking when they decide on new changes. I guess that since so many people almost exclusively go to full hookup campgrounds, AS has moved away from good boondocking capacity in water and electrical systems. However, I think that they should develop a "boondock package" with larger solar systems, and bigger tanks as an option for those, like myself, who do use their rigs when not hooked up to services. Is anyone at AS listening? I would trade a good water system any day for the fancy TV-DVD-Radio that they include as standard on the FC series. I don't go out camping to watch TV.

I agree. A boondocking package for new Airstreams would be nice. It probably won't happen though due to lack of demand.

I carry my old water tank, empty, in the back of my Tundra. If I need water I fill it and use gravity feed to fill my airstream tank. It works fine for me. I don't really need it unless I am out for more than 3 days with my wife or 5 days by myself.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote