Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Roseburg , Oregon
2003 safari 25' SS Moen shower valve stem problems

I only have luke warm water in my shower , the other faucets get nice and hot, so i narrowed it down to the posi valve in the shower made by moen, i contacted moen and they gave me great detailed instructions on how to clean out the valve stem, BUT the problem lies in getting the valve stem out, i tore it all apart yesterday , the hole is too small to do anywork behind the wall, there is not enough room to pull the brass clip of off it to pull the stem out and clean it..........
brad_casie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Brad,

Check your water heater bypass to see if it is letting cold water into your hot water line. If it is OK, I have had some success in blowing compressed air back thru the shower line into the valve with the hot side open. It will sometimes remove an obstruction or dirt in the valve.

You will need to drain your water system to do this and open the low point drain on the hot water line near the water heater to try this.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi brad

usually the shower mechanicals can be accessed from the back/side wall...

for example my shower plumbing access is from under the lav sink, it's tight but reachable.

most models have some back access like this or a partial wall, access panel to remove.

i see you are a newbie, so here are some suggestions to read or ignore...

-include a picture whenever possible, it really helps others see your issue.

-it really doesn't pay to post the same question in multiple forums...

that just bumps them down the page and besides a mod will eventually delete all but one.

-also it is often useful to keep ALL of this info in one thread, so new help doesn't have to retrace and re-ask background info....

in the original thread you started on this issue, this is actually an a/s factory person reading and posting...

-anyone posting/subscribing to the original thread will SEE your update if in is IN that thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...hot-38192.html

while they may miss multiple new threads...

-so if you ask a mod (nicely) they can combine all of this in one linear lukewarm2hot storyline for ya.

keep at it!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Do you know if you have a positemp valve or the legend valve? The positemp rotates to turn on and the legend pulls out to turn on. There is no service for these valves from the back. It is all done through the front unless you are replacing the valve. If you have the Positemp which given the year is more likely there are handle high limit stops. have you tried to operate it with the handle off? It could be as simple as removing or re-setting the high limit stop.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Before you pull the retaining clip on the valve make sure you have a couple of spares on hand. They have a nasty habit of getting lost. A good hardware or plumbing supply place should have them.

Jim
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Roseburg , Oregon
it is the positemp valve, i have not tried to operate it without the handle, i will before i go and tear it apart again, i was looking at the retaining clip to replace the valve, but there is no room to get to the top of it, the hole is about a 2" circle to get to all the parts.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I have experience

Hi, I have fought this battle and won. My shower acted up one time and would not allow hot water to the shower head even though I had good hot water everywhere else. I thought it was an air pocket and eventually it started to work. Next time out I was unable to get any hot water out of my shower head no matter how much I tried. When I got home I took the shower valve assembly completely out of the trailer and tore it apart. There was no clogs or blockages in the valve or lines to the valve. I took the valve apart and tried to take the cartridge apart; It's not made to be taken apart. [the cartridge] I put it all back together and got pressure from the cold side of the valve all the way to the hot side of the valve. Now it should work. Next time out, before useing the trailer, I fired up the water heater to test the shower and it .........................................didn't work; No hot water.

Now I'm mad and not going to let the shower valve beat me. I went to Home Depot and bought a new cartridge, although I never saw anything wrong with the original one. Now that I have some experience, I know I can remove the handle, then the handle mount, then the sleeve, and finally the horse shoe clip. WRONG AGAIN. The way the valve is mounted to the shower wall, it won't allow you to remove the horse shoe clip without removeing the entire valve assembly, So out comes the whole darn thing again. New valve cartridge installed and I'm back in business again; Working perfect. "I have experience." My thoughts were that the internal valve within the cartridge was sticking due to lack of use and sitting for long periods of time, but tapping [hammering] on the valve would not make it work. Conclusion: If you can't get hot water out of your shower, buy a new cartridge and remove the whole assembly to replace it.

Thank You for reading my long story about shower valves.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Roseburg , Oregon
thank you for sharing your experiece with me, that is exactly what is happening, although how do you remove the horshoe clip, i have no room to get too it, maybe pry it up a little from the front but i cannot get around to the top, it sits just behind the shower wall , did you have to take the wall out to get to the valve?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Lufkin , Texas
did you have the part number of the cartridge? i am having this trouble but have no owners manual or other docs. did moen make good on the lifetime waranty?
Baked Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #10

2006 25' International CCD
alameda , California
Moen cartridge not accessible

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_casie View Post
thank you for sharing your experiece with me, that is exactly what is happening, although how do you remove the horshoe clip, i have no room to get too it, maybe pry it up a little from the front but i cannot get around to the top, it sits just behind the shower wall , did you have to take the wall out to get to the valve?
We have a 2006 ss and are wondering if anyone figured a way to get the cartridge out?
Thanks!
Erica
ebartel is offline   Reply With Quote