Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Charlotte , North Carolina
1976 Sovereign Water Fill Door

I have purchased a 1976 which I had to drill out the lock to open the curbside water fill door because the previous owner lost the key. Inside, I observed a fill hole but no cap or plug. Unfortunately the door flopped open before I found the correct lock and it flopped open during transit and upon entering the campground, I barely hooked it on a roll out trash can. It broke part of the bottom hinge off and tore out the plastic box frame from the inside.
someone please respond as to what should be normal and where can I find a replacement cast door,lock and whatever goes in the filler hole if anything at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Badco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Could you post a picture so that we can see exactly what type it has installed. If it is a flip down type not a door to the fill cap. The flip down type is no longer available to my understanding. There are fixes for most types.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Check out this thread.

If you have all of the pieces, you may be able to reassemble it. I rebuilt mine on a '73 Sovereign using Evercoat fiber reinforced epoxy (bondo)for similar reasons and it is working fine. Getting to it from the inside is a lot easier if the coach is gutted (mine was at the time).

You'll have to disconnect the filler hose and remove the housing from the inside of the exterior wall (it is firmly attached with vulkem and olympic rivets on the outside) and care must be exercised to avoid further breaking. (It is very brittle.)

Once it is repaired, re-installation should be done with some sort of backing washers on the rivets to avoid cracking the housing (again, it is brittle).

Another option (assuming you can make the door stay on) is to insert a long flexible hose from the outside and fill the tank using a funnel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterfillerrepair1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	34148   Click image for larger version

Name:	waterfill2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	34149  

PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote