Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It occurred to me that I needed to be more clear about what this meant:

"Get up on the roof at the rear, I betcha the three vents need re-doing (new screens, remove old caulk and re-caulk)."

I meant the three plumbing vents: all near the rear, 2 on the curbside, 1 on the streetside. They allow your plumbing to drain properly, and if debris, or dead mice or birds are blocking them, they won't work well. Plus, the caulking works itself loose there every few years, and if not attended to, will let water down into your two closets, plus behind the tub/sink area.

You'll need to try somebody like Out-Of-Doors Mart to get the little kits they sell,or make yourself one. There's a rubber gasket made of rubber like an inner tube that has a hole in the middle to pull over the black ABS pipe of the vent, a square piece of screen to stop leaves,bugs, and any other detritus to enter, plus Vulkem caulking. Vulkem has a new name which I can't remember at the moment, but you'll find it.

The vent is all contained in a chromed cast unit about 5"X5" at the base (guessing on the measurement) and it's held on by Phillips head screws. Not a difficult job to do, but an important one, part of the Battle Against Water Ingress!

You'll be up on the roof doing this, so if you have time, use the same Vulkem, and go check around the seams of the three air vents, to make sure that they aren't going to leak on you either. In fact, everything that pierces the roof is a potential threat, and needs to be inspected.

And lastly, always remember: no silicon caulking on the exterior! It is heck* to get off after it goes black (which it always seems to do), and it actually attacks aluminum. The only area you are instructed to use it is on the seams of the bathtub.

Have fun!

*Heck is for those who don't believe in Gosh

Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Thanks Aage! The first thing I did when I got the trailer out of there (after putting air in them) was goto Les Schwab and get 5 new tires. :P

I also just got my axles ordered yesterday. Should be here in 2-3 weeks! Very excited about making it completely road worth, and getting rid of the low-rider affect.

The rear dent concerned me too, but another forum member that helped me inspect it looked very carefully in the rear compartment, and thankfully the floor looks solid. I'm going to continue to monitor and seal as needed. Not really sure what to do with that big old dent.....

http://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Rogers , Arkansas
New owner also, I've just purchased a 1974 sovereign and I'm experiencing the exact same problem and was wondering where you found the valves. I found two under the stove in a well and one under the bathroom sink. Any info would help.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevers911 View Post
New owner also, I've just purchased a 1974 sovereign and I'm experiencing the exact same problem and was wondering where you found the valves. I found two under the stove in a well and one under the bathroom sink. Any info would help.
Hey there! Would love to see she pictures if your 74. We are in Austin, where are you?

As for the valves, the answer was the two valves back by the gray and black water dump valves. Once I closed this, I could fill her up! Also be careful not to continue filling when full.... mine will leak under the stove if I do that.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Rogers , Arkansas
I'm currently in Oklahoma City but will be relocating soon. I'll get pics up soon. Do you need a working water pump to have water flow?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevers911 View Post
I'm currently in Oklahoma City but will be relocating soon. I'll get pics up soon. Do you need a working water pump to have water flow?
You do unless you are connected to "city" or hose water for pressure.

Tags
sovereign