Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Fairhope , Alabama
1961 Overlander Fresh Water System

I have a 1961 Overlander with the huge galvanized tank. Does anyone have any information of converting the old pressure (psi) system to an on demand system? Or should I clean up and get the old system back to working order?
Thanks
Char61Oland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Does the tank hold water without leaking? All you need is a water pump to convert it to a demand system. You will need to add a new fresh water hook up though. A new plastic tank might not be a bad idea. It would be easier to sanitize.

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Fairhope , Alabama
Yes the tank does hold water. The only place that I have noticed that it leaks is at the acorn caps behind the street side wheels. Have you seen anywhere on the web that would explain how to go about converting the system?
Old 10-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I've read some old threads about replacing the air pressure system on this forum. I think they're from many years ago. Just start searching and you'll find them.

However, I would encourage you to consider sticking with the air pressure system. I know some folks here will disagree with me, but in my opinion they are far superior to the modern systems. The water pressure at my house is about 45 psi. So I hook a hose up to the camper, with all faucets closed, and it fills the tank to 45 psi and stops. I've got a small 12-volt air compressor hard wired into the camper. Every three or four days, I just turn it on for a couple of minutes to keep the pressure up. Other than that, it operates exactly like my water system at home, and it's absolutely quiet, unlike the electric pumps, and no priming. I carry a old style bike air pump that I could pressurize the system without the battery if I needed to, but I've never used it. Winterizing is very simple. I just empty the tank, and fill it with compressed air. Then I just have to open faucets one at a time and it's done. I did re-plumb the entire system with pex.

The disadvantages are; apparently the tanks corrode from the inside and can leak. Replacements are hard to find. I ran an inspection camera inside mine and saw no corrosion. They don't hold as much water as modern plastic tanks. Since they are cylinders, they waste space. I think mine is about 20 gallons, and there has to be space left in it for air to compress. That has always been plenty of water for me and the wife. We just plan out where we can fill up, and carry a couple of collapsible water jugs to supplement. I know that this would not be enough for some families.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2024 28' Flying Cloud
Savage , Minnesota
My system still has the air compressor. I have found a Viair air compressor (Model 100C). Has anyone used this brand or model air compressor. It appears to be the size that will fit in the space available.
The original in my unit is a Grover Products. They have a new unit model # 1167 for $285.00. The Viair 100C is $94.00 at Home Depot.
What do you think?
John
42indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Fairhope , Alabama
System Evaluation

I have decided to retain the original system in my Overlander. After thorough checking the tank, the original copper pipe, sinks, and toilet it appears that everything is intact. It does have the air compressor connected to the inlet pipe. After putting water in the tank I tested the air compressor and it works fine. I did find that there is a leak in the spigot and pressure Schrader valve. I will pull the spigot and rebuild it. Hopefully this will prevent any further air leak.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2024 28' Flying Cloud
Savage , Minnesota
When your tank is about 1/2 full and you have just put a bunch of water in the sink to do dishes. About how long does your air compressor run?
John
42indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
We used the original pressurized water system for years in our '61 Overlander and it still has the original system. Our outside water spigot has a brass cap with a rubber seal that we use when not hooked up to city water. But, because of the age of the galvanized water tank, we did not use it for drinking water.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags