Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Salt Lake City , Utah
1959 Airstream Tradewind

Hello, I am very pleased to announce I have a Kitchen, and bathroom sink, as well as a tub under all that scum!! !!

I found a hose connector under the street side, which I assumed was where I would put the direct water, It worked! I had a few leaks in the kitchen faucet and under on a supply line, the nut was split and the flarred end of the copper pipe was questionable. I was so lucky to find a brand new one waiting in the bathroom drawer.

But I do not know what these battery terminals under the kitchen sink do? and I am not sure how to drain and clean the large tank under the front couch bed thing a ma jigger.

There is a black lid that looks like it goes over a battery, that I did not get a pic of, it was also under there.
Rev it UP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Salt Lake City , Utah
1959 Airstream

Sorry here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07-23-07 103.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	606.0 KB
ID:	41708   Click image for larger version

Name:	07-23-07 101.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	601.2 KB
ID:	41709  

Click image for larger version

Name:	07-23-07 108.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	609.5 KB
ID:	41710  
Old 07-23-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Salt Lake City , Utah
I know! I need to clean it out under there...
Old 07-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Sorry I can't help you with any of your questions, but I have to say that I love those 50s trailers.

Best advice I can offer is just start carefully disassembling things until you find the answers you are looking for...while your at it, make sure you document the disassembly process. This makes thing easier to put back together

Good Luck! ....Cool Trailer
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Looks like you've got a real project! Good luck.

Yes, get a spray bottle with some diluted bleach and spray the floor lightly, everywhere. You need to reduce the chances that mice left any hanta virus behind. Then clean like crazy.

It looks like you have a water pump. If you have a large galvanized tank under/behind the couch, your trailer still has the original fresh water tank. It was designed to be pressurized with air as the propelling force to drive the water into the lines. The fill tube will have a tire valve on it so that a bicycle pump could pressurize it. Since your street side water connection works, the next step is to see if the tank and pump work. There really isn't a good way to clean these tanks except by filling and draining.

The pump works off of the 12V system. From the look of your wiring and the location where there used to be a battery, I'm not sure you'll find a converter for getting the 110V AC down to 12V DC. Look for a 8x8x14" box that's heavy, like 50 pounds. It should plug in to 110. The old converters don't have good voltage regulation without a battery connected on the output, so if you find one, I wouldn't run it for a long time unless you have a battery to hook up.

Post more photos as you go.

Zep
Old 07-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Rev -
Welcome to the (surprisingly large) group of '59 Tradewind owners. You will find a lot of info by using the search function to review topics in common to all of us.
The 12 volt battery originally was housed in a rectangular box beneath the front window. Wiring entered the trailer on curbside, behind the front gaucho, and from there was distributed to the trailer. This battery box was/is much smaller than a standard 12 volt RV battery today. A previous owner of your trailer must have used a newer, standard sized RV battery that was housed under the sink compartment, and there attached the "battery cables" you have into the trailer's 12 volt system. If you do this, be careful to vent the battery's gasses to the exterior of the trailer.
Also behind the gaucho in front is the fresh water tank - an aluminum cylinder approximately 16" in diameter and 5 feet long. The interior of mine was heavily coated with white sediment, and I discarded it. Others have been able to use the original tank, however.
Brad, aka "flyfshr" on this list, maintains a registry of '59
Tradewind owners. I'd expect that he will contact you to obtain more info about your trailer. His trailer is pictured on the Vintage Airstream photo archives at the example of how good a '59 Tradewind CAN look:
http://vintageairstream.com/archives...114/index.html
Please send along some more photos, and also the trailer's VIN number for the registry.
Best of luck with your new trailer!
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags