Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
1/2" pex to small?

I am installing a new fresh water tank in 'Cloud' and wonder if 1/2" pex from the tank to the pump is to small? Also is 1/2" to small to carry through out the trailer?
Barry & Karen in Mi.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
1/2" is plenty for water volume. You could use 1/2" for the main lines and step down to 3/8" on the branch lines depending how your trailer is plumbed if you wanted. The benefit to this is to get hot water to the faucet quicker (using less water) if you are a boondocker.
I would also recommend using the crimp fittings over the quick connect fittings. I have never had a crimp fitting leak whereas quick connects have made a mess.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I just replumbed my '89 25' Excella with 1/2" PEX throughout. I used flexible reinforced vinyl hose from tank to pump and pump to PEX. We have plenty of volume. The job was not as bad as I had feared. I used the Sharkbite fittings without a single leak. For the trial and error that seemed necessary for me to get things fit together it was worth the extra cost to be able to assemble and then disassemble to trim off an inch or two. Be sure to make square cuts with a tubing cutter on the PEX. Also be sure to buy the little horseshoe shaped disassembly tool. If you do the entire trailer be sure to make a detailed drawing of what goes where before removing the old lines!
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I agree 1/2" is plenty, I had a trailer with 1/2" and 3/8" and had no problems with volume. With that said I would use 1/2" throughout to reduce the emergency kit size (not needing both 1/2" and 3/8" fittings and pipe).

I prefer the clamps or compression fittings over the Sharkbite (push on) fittings for something going over the road, just afraid the vibrations of travel would be more likely to cause a leak with the Sharkbites (personal feeling, no experience to back it up).

Also flexible reinforced vinyl hose to and from the pump to isolate vibration and reduce noise is a good idea.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have done a LOT of plumbing work with PEX and it is a fantastic product. Do use the crimp fittings, though. The tool is a bit pricey (around $100 as I recall, but you can probably rent one...). It is almost impossible to screw up a crimp, as the crimp tool will include a little device that you slide over the ring once you crimp it. If you should screw up a crimp you'll know it right then, not once you turn on your water supply! As you probably know you can buy it in white, red, or blue. You'll always know which is the hot water line if you use red! Good luck with the install. Trust me, it's a lot easier for an amateur than learning to solder copper tubing.....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Thanks guys , I am very familiar with pex having used it completely on our last build. I just wasn't sure about using it between tank and pump being that that line will at least in part be in between the floor and belly pan. Size /diameter was the only issue. Thanks again,
Barry
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
1/2" PEX is the way to go, as others have indicated above. I also agree with the crimp-on connectors. I did my '66 Tradewind in 1/2" PEX throughout using them, and it was inexpensive, easy, and near fool-proof. I went with 1/2" due to easy availability of fittings, but would have gone smaller otherwise. The 1/2" delivers more than enough flow.

I did take care to make assemblies for spaces where the crimp tool wouldn't fit. This created 2 additional joins, but none of the crimps leaked, though this was my first time working with PEX.

Good luck and God bless!

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
I did use pex off the tank, to the pump without any problem.

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote