Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
ZipDee power awning

A new issue as presented itself with the. ZipDee awning. It was working perfectly until it wasn't. The awning now opens and tilts, but when it is retracting when it gets to that final step of making the final turn to close and shut off, it repeatedly bangs over and over. We quickly shut it off at this point. Firefly panel believes it is still partially open. Service technician says it must need a new motor. It seems like the motor works fine. Anyone know of any adjustment that might fix this rather than waiting months for a new part to be approved, ordered, and installed?

Have I said that I do love my Airstream? Just wish it all worked. It is a very big step up from sleeping in a tent! As I speak a falling leaf just got caught up in the Fantastic fan. Scared me almost to death!
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!

It might help sort things out if you changed your personal info from "currently looking" to the model and year of AS that you have. I'm guessing it's a recent Classic. I could easily be wrong.

It sounds like the sensor that lets the control circuit know the retraction is done has bit the dust. From the tech's guess, it likely is built into the motor. It has to be built into something.....

From what I've seen, the control circuit senses the load on the motor. When it goes to "full power" the control system decides things are done. The most common fault is it deciding it is done when it's not fully retracted.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Aj, if it isn't retracting all the way, what is it banging against? I am not the expert here but I am thinking it has somehow gotten bent, the frame? Don't know.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Here's a thought:

Is there a stick / pine cone / gold bar caught in the top of the awning?

Bob
Old 09-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If the banging your referring to is the motor running and trying to finish the close as Bob said something stuck, or one of the arms bent. It does not take much wind or rain to get these out of alignment. I'd try opening, then close with each of you gently helping the arms do their thing.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
The awning is essentially closed. Maybe the last turn that produces what looks like a cover may not fully be engaged, but the motor keeps trying to close it even though it is essentially closed and the banging may be the awning moving in its housing with the motor still going. We manually stuff off the awning and it never gets reported to Firefly as closed. Something stuck in awning was my first thought, but do not see anything. At the point of the "banging" noise, all arms are in place and awning is no longer visible. Sensor telling it to shut off sounds like a likely culprit. The awning continues to function in all other ways.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Water valley , Mississippi
I pick my 2018 classic up last Monday and as I stated in an earlier post, everything seems to work perfect although I haven't actually tried everything. I do have a question about the fire fly panel and others as well. I noticed they stay lighted unless the battery disconnect is turned off. I do have solar to keep the batteries charge but I'm wondering if it is an issue for the control panels to remain lighted or should I dim them or turn them off each time between using.
ted baylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted baylor View Post
I pick my 2018 classic up last Monday and as I stated in an earlier post, everything seems to work perfect although I haven't actually tried everything. I do have a question about the fire fly panel and others as well. I noticed they stay lighted unless the battery disconnect is turned off. I do have solar to keep the batteries charge but I'm wondering if it is an issue for the control panels to remain lighted or should I dim them or turn them off each time between using.
Hi

The 2018 is set up a bit different than the 2017. On the 2017, the charge function continued to work with the use / store switch in the "store" position. I suspect that they still solar charge in the "store" position on the 2018.

There are a bunch of things that come on in the "use" position. You do not want all that stuff on the battery when you are storing the trailer. The lights on the panels are only part of the issue ....

Bob
Old 09-18-2017, 05:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
When I store our 2017 Classic I turn the Firefly off, at least the lighted aspect of it as well as the main Firefly panel on the wall near the refridge. Simply to take light out of the trailer at night when it's in storage. If I don't the guard thinks someone is inside and I get a phone call. Nice that he is up and working, but a pain at 2:00am.

Bud
Old 09-18-2017, 06:30 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted baylor View Post
I am lretty sure if you turn off the panel lights, the firefly will go off, as well.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I am lretty sure if you turn off the panel lights, the firefly will go off, as well.
Actually one can turn the "lights" off the Firefly panel and they panel functions exactly the same. All functions on the 2017 are available thru the Firefly, lights on or not and as long as the battery cables are not disconnected at the battery. Store switch in store position or ON, makes no difference in our 2017 Classic as th to whether the panel functions are available to control the various activities in the trailer. Example, lights off, bed tilt function works the same, tank heaters work the same etc.

Bud
Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Actually one can turn the "lights" off the Firefly panel and they panel functions exactly the same. All functions on the 2017 are available thru the Firefly, lights on or not and as long as the battery cables are not disconnected at the battery. Store switch in store position or ON, makes no difference in our 2017 Classic as th to whether the panel functions are available to control the various activities in the trailer. Example, lights off, bed tilt function works the same, tank heaters work the same etc.

Bud
Hi

Ok, you made me look

I just did the store / use thing with the trailer up and running on shore power. As expected, everything shuts down when you go to "store". Firefly is totally dead. Alde panel and fridge go dead. WiFi shuts off and get flack from the rest of the crew.

It is correct that the Firefly panel works fine with or without the lights on the panel turned on. It's a bit harder to work out what's what in that case (is the master on or off ...).

So much fun.

Bob
Old 09-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Bob, must be another AS wonder. Ours works no matter what I do unless I disconnect the batteries or unplug from shore power. I even went over just to make sure I was correct. I can turn OFF the store button, turn off the firefly lights and all work just fine, I have the same functions as if all are on.

As an aside I had questions on the Store button on our Classic last year shortly after we purchased it and called JC. It seemed to me that if we were hooked up to shore power the button was of no consequence, on/off made no difference to the operation of the electrical systems in the trailer. JC customer service stated that the 2017 Classic wiring is different from other trailers (1) The inverter is by passed if one turns it off and will have no further impact on the electric system (2) The inverter in other trailers can be turned off, but the wiring still runs thru it (2) The Store button when hooked to shore power actually does not function. Which is what I've found to be the case.

So, it seems there is a miss-wiring in either my trailer or yours. I don't much care either way, just interesting.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Bob, must be another AS wonder. Ours works no matter what I do unless I disconnect the batteries or unplug from shore power. I even went over just to make sure I was correct. I can turn OFF the store button, turn off the firefly lights and all work just fine, I have the same functions as if all are on.

As an aside I had questions on the Store button on our Classic last year shortly after we purchased it and called JC. It seemed to me that if we were hooked up to shore power the button was of no consequence, on/off made no difference to the operation of the electrical systems in the trailer. JC customer service stated that the 2017 Classic wiring is different from other trailers (1) The inverter is by passed if one turns it off and will have no further impact on the electric system (2) The inverter in other trailers can be turned off, but the wiring still runs thru it (2) The Store button when hooked to shore power actually does not function. Which is what I've found to be the case.

So, it seems there is a miss-wiring in either my trailer or yours. I don't much care either way, just interesting.
Hi

It sounds like your converter and mine are wired to opposite sides of the latching relay. The owner's manual shows that. It's not the way my trailer appears to be wired. You did get me up from the chair to check that my converter *is* indeed running.

If that's what you have, the Firefly would indeed run with shore power and the battery in the "store" position. It still would be dead if in store and there was no shore power. If it's still functional in store and no shore power, there's a lot of load on that battery when you are in storage.

-----

A little more research shows that the 2018's have the converter on the battery side of the latching relay. They should work like my trailer (Firefly dead in store + shore power). It would be tempting to say that mine must actually be an "early 2018". If so they made the switch in ... September 2016 .... seems unlikely ... Maybe there's a phantom service bulletin out ????

Bob
Old 09-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
To clarify, I apologise for getting you up, I'll remember to only respond to your posts at a time you select, mine does not work if no shore power and battery disconnect in store.

Wonder why the change. Rolling changes became the norm for the operation I ran, a pain to be sure.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm not sure it is a formal change. Bubba at the factory may simply have run a wire to the wrong place .... It would be interesting to see if anybody else has a 2017 wired like mine.

Bob
Old 09-19-2017, 04:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I'm not sure it is a formal change. Bubba at the factory may simply have run a wire to the wrong place .... It would be interesting to see if anybody else has a 2017 wired like mine.

Bob

It would be fascinating --- ANYONE?
Old 09-19-2017, 05:25 AM   #18
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
I ran around this problem after delivery as I read the manual about the Store button, but when in Store, all DC went dead. Thought it was broke, found out Delivery Dealer doesn't have drawings, contacted CS @ AS and found out that portion of the manual was incorrect (to be revised). On page 8-15, push the Store button, the PMM disconnects power to the G6 (DC push button fuse panel), all DC goes dead. The switch is under the rear dinette seat on mine. AS confirmed that was the way it was (supposed to be). You should be able to hear it switch on and off with the Store switch. Doesn't disconnect the DC fuse block for jacks, 7-pin cable, batteries, CO monitor, and brakes. The Inverter should still work, based on the drawing, never tried it in Store.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
ZipDee power awning

When I put ours in "store" mode it cuts all D.C. power including the Firefly panels. Nothing works except the propane detector and the solar battery charging.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So... when did each of these trailers leave the factory? I believe mine came out in September.

Bob