Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
ZipDee Failure...Urgent help needed.

So today I was visinting a friends house and pulled out my iPhone with the Airstream app to show him. To my surprize, it showed the awning as open. We closed it earlier in the day due to high gusty winds. I called my wife to see if she had opened the awning for some reason and she wasn't even near the trailer.

I used the app to close it, but the app just kept saying it was open. I hurried home to see what was up. The Awning was fully opened and had apparently opened on it own. It was unresponsive when I tried to close it both with the app and with the cZone controls (switches by the door and the touch control). I can hear the relays clicking beneath the wardrobe, but nothing happens. I've tried resetting the system, power cycling and every combination i can think of, but it is unresponsive.

Worried that the wind my tear the trailer up, I pulled out the manual and attempted the manual override. The awning will roll up, but the support arms do not shrink. The motor shaft can easily spin, but there is no change in the arm length. This leads me to believe the gearing is stripped out.

I've rolled it up as far as i dare go without shrinking the arms at this point.

Of course, it's a holiday weekend and airstream, zipdee and the dealer I purchased from are all closed until Tuesday. Airstreams voice prompts direct and transfer me to coach net who says they can't do anything.

Any ideas?
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Wow! that is a serious problem and one that concerns me. I have the same trailer. Can you imagine the awning coming out while traveling down the road!??

This is the first I've heard of a 2019 having this problem. Did you unlock the awning before trying to get it closed? Hit the two bottom buttons at the same time. Did you try to go out first, then hit the close?
Was it plugged in with the 7 pin connector to your tow vehicle when this happened?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
The trailer was sitting in my drive in preparation for a trip. I had the awning out earlier today and rolled it up when the wind started kicking up. The awning was not locked and the trailer was connected to shore power. Not hitched to the truck.

I have have no idea when it opened. I was gone ~ three hours. No one was near the trailer and the doors were locked.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I would talk to Airstream and see if they will replace the control panel for you. This seems to be the culprit of problems with gremlins in the system

Tom & Doty
Old 05-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Of course the big question is what do I do about the awning right now. it's supposed to be windy again tomorrow and I can't close it. While the roll motor can be rolled, the extension arms are unusable. They can't even be closed manually. That means I can't close the awning manually at all. I can't reach anyone at Airstream, ZipDee or the local dealer cause they are all closed for the holiday. Aistreams emergency line directs me to coach net who tells me that they can't help me.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
So I pulled the drawers under the sink to look at the controller. it would appear that this unit has had problems before. There is a keypad controller sticky-taped to the top of the control box, but it is not being used. An identical keypad controller is laying on the floor beside the control box and this is the one that has all of the wires connected to it.

I don't know what caused it to open, though I suspect the keypad controller went bad again. Right now, either the unit destroyed itself or it deployed in the wind and the wind stripped the motor gears. In anycase, I have no idea how to close the unit up. I'm contemplating pulling the pins on the lower arm attachments. That would allow me to roll the unit up so the wind doesn't destroy the trailer, but I still can't tow the unit anywhere.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I would do whatever you can to preserve the trailer and limit damage especially if you know wind will cause damage. i will be at JC in 5 hours for Alumapalooza. Pm me all your info ( vin # phone number etc ) and maybe i can find either zipDee or service to call you.

Tom & Doty
Old 05-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #8
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
So today I was visinting a friends house and pulled out my iPhone with the Airstream app to show him. To my surprize, it showed the awning as open. We closed it earlier in the day due to high gusty winds. I called my wife to see if she had opened the awning for some reason and she wasn't even near the trailer.

I used the app to close it, but the app just kept saying it was open. I hurried home to see what was up. The Awning was fully opened and had apparently opened on it own. It was unresponsive when I tried to close it both with the app and with the cZone controls (switches by the door and the touch control). I can hear the relays clicking beneath the wardrobe, but nothing happens. I've tried resetting the system, power cycling and every combination i can think of, but it is unresponsive.

Worried that the wind my tear the trailer up, I pulled out the manual and attempted the manual override. The awning will roll up, but the support arms do not shrink. The motor shaft can easily spin, but there is no change in the arm length. This leads me to believe the gearing is stripped out.

I've rolled it up as far as i dare go without shrinking the arms at this point.

Of course, it's a holiday weekend and airstream, zipdee and the dealer I purchased from are all closed until Tuesday. Airstreams voice prompts direct and transfer me to coach net who says they can't do anything.

Any ideas?
Hi Ephraim,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 05-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Nothing Is Wrong

I was at Airstream of Chicago's open house in May and talked with a Zip Dee representative about unintended awning deployment and circuit board failures. "The circuit boards were redesigned in 2016. We have had no issues with them."

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Ephraim,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
I've been trying to contact anyone at Airstream, the dealer or coachnet. CoachNet says there is nothing that they can do. Airstream and the dealer are closed for the Weekend/Holiday. It's supposed to be windy again today and I can get no emergency help for this. I've sent Airstream an email in hopes that someone there checks the email during the Holiday.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Use some long bungees or rope to tie your awning down to whatever is handy, be that a picnic table or another vehicle, until you can reach someone tomorrow to help you figure out how to get it in.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 05-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
I've been trying to contact anyone at Airstream, the dealer or coachnet. CoachNet says there is nothing that they can do. Airstream and the dealer are closed for the Weekend/Holiday. It's supposed to be windy again today and I can get no emergency help for this. I've sent Airstream an email in hopes that someone there checks the email during the Holiday.
Did you try to send Airstreaminc a private message through Airforum? I believe that is what Airstream is asking you to do. Also did you try customer_support@airstream.com?

Hi Ephraim,*

Thank you.*
Old 05-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Wow - that is scary - sometime I wonder if advanced technology on a TT is just more trouble than it's worth
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
ZipDee Failure...Urgent help needed.

What a bummer. Maybe jerry rig some straps to hold down the extension arms so they down flap around.... just a thought.. probably better than nothing
Attached Images

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mountain View , California
Typical support from Coachnet. Follow the link to Airstream support and warranty coverage.
JFRINALDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Right now, I have it partially rolled up and then loading/ratchet straps anchoring the floating end to ground. But yesterday we had 55 MPH gusts of wind. More of the same expected today.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
Wow - that is scary - sometime I wonder if advanced technology on a TT is just more trouble than it's worth
Things like this are why some of us like and stick to the old ways...all manual, all the time.

Maggie
Old 05-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Airstream needs to rethink what they offer as standard equipment. I get the feeling, me included, that lots of folks would want manual awnings. All the automatic stuff would keep me from ordering anything that has standard automatic awnings. Give me a classic or serenity where I could get manual awnings, and I might consider it. Meantime, very happy with my very manual Flying Cloud.
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Oh and by the way,Ephraim, I really hope you get your issue resolved quickly. It seems to me that Airstream should have at least one or two on techsupport on the holiday.
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
Oh and by the way,Ephraim, I really hope you get your issue resolved quickly. It seems to me that Airstream should have at least one or two on techsupport on the holiday.
No response from them or anyone yet. I can't even leave a message with ZipDee. Their phone just gives an announcement and then hangs up. The winds have started. 25mph with gust up to 40 so far.

Here's to hoping the trailer survives.