Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
ZipDee fabric joiner replace?

Howdy!

I found our 1999 Excella street side awning is attached with a fabric panel running length o'd awning tube. It attaches the body mount to the sections of aluminum. The sections of aluminum then wrap the awning.

This will be a problem as the fabric is deteriorating rapidly. Looks like it has some kind of algae / tree fungus growing on it. Looks similar to "lichens" I think.

Anyway, was this a cost saving step for ZD?

How would you go about repair before it rips?

Thanks!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Howdy!

I found our 1999 Excella street side awning is attached with a fabric panel running length o'd awning tube. It attaches the body mount to the sections of aluminum. The sections of aluminum then wrap the awning.

This will be a problem as the fabric is deteriorating rapidly. Looks like it has some kind of algae / tree fungus growing on it. Looks similar to "lichens" I think.

Anyway, was this a cost saving step for ZD?

How would you go about repair before it rips?

Thanks!
If this is the original awning, it is made from Sunbrella, which doesn't rot and AFAIK isn't subject to other biological attacks, either. However, if it's dirty, the fungus _will_ grow on the dirt. I'd clean it with the awning out but the arms in the stowing position; a light soft push broom would help you reach the top, I think. I'd use water w/ a bit of liquid laundry detergent, and rinse thorougly afterward.

Here are detailed instructions from the zipdee web site:

Maintenance Instructions

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Even the polyester in Sunbrella will begin to break down under the right (wrong) conditions. Is the fabric breaking down, or is it just covered with scum?

If you can figure out how the fabric attaches (pictures?), it might be a simple matter of copying the damaged fabric in a fresh piece of Sunbrella and carrying on for another decade or so.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My Limited is about the same age as CWF's. My streetside awning connector (the fabric strip he is talking about (zipdee calls it "Wide Flex Key Only") failed at Alumapalooza a couple of years ago. The zipdee folks were there and I placed the order for the stuff at 4.10 per foot.

I was able to do the work myself on the rear awning, but the longer one up forward was just too much - couldn't open the crimps. So I got the guys at Airstream to do it for me the next time I was there.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Our old awning had been badly installed by a PO who not only put the fabric in upside down (so that the pull strap was on top) but had crimped the tubular casing so badly that it could not be opened. We ended up cutting that off and riveting on a new piece of tubular casing, purchased from sailrite.com, along with the awning rope that runs inside it.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jim Webb (President of Zip Dee) will be doing a seminar on this exact replacement at Alumapalooza 4 this year if you are there you can see how to do it yourself!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Hi - Our Excella is the same age as yours. Like Pat, we had ours (the long one, curb side) replaced at Airstream Jackson Center because I wasn't up to the job by myself. The PO had already bought the replacement key strip so I don't know the cost of the part itself. Keep it clean is what I'm told, so I get up there with a long brush from time to time.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote