Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
ZipDee DIY

I have wanted to get a new ZipDee awning for my 75 Tradewind since I got it. The trailer has the mounting rail, but nothing else. After watching the final episode of the DIY Airstream series, the instalation looked fairly easy. Has anyone on the forum installed the awning and if so, did you order it from ZipDee direct? The dealer wants about $240 for the install and they are 2 hours away (Tucson, AZ).

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Awning install

I installed a new rail and awning on my 1973 Argosy without help! Easy install, just follow directions and get HELPER.
Make sure the locking pins on the arms are LOCKED.
If not you will have problems.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I have wanted to get a new ZipDee awning for my 75 Tradewind since I got it. The trailer has the mounting rail, but nothing else. After watching the final episode of the DIY Airstream series, the instalation looked fairly easy. Has anyone on the forum installed the awning and if so, did you order it from ZipDee direct? The dealer wants about $240 for the install and they are 2 hours away (Tucson, AZ).
The installation is fairly straightforward, but you will need hand tools such as a drill and bits, and a pop rivet gun. This is not a job to be done alone. You need a second person and it goes pretty smoothly. I used the original awning rail that hung my vintage pole type awning for the install on my overlander and we installed a new rail on my friends overlander. Both turned out great. Try to use a rivet hole finder if you install a new rail so you can use the existing holes from your old rail. Good luck.

Mark
Old 12-13-2005, 06:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I installed the awning on our '64 Overlander. It's not hard as long as you have a helper and the right tools, which you probably already have. The instructions were good. The original mounting rail fit the new awning. I ordered through Inland RV and ZipDee shipped it to my inlaws where I did the installation.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
weblog moderator

1966 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
I have been searching for the stock awning for my 66 Safari. It's track is 12' long. Anybody got any pointers?

Bob Kiger
Oceanside, CA
1966 Safari
Old 04-11-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserBob
I have been searching for the stock awning for my 66 Safari. It's track is 12' long. Anybody got any pointers?

Bob Kiger
Oceanside, CA
1966 Safari
There was no "Stock" awning. It was mostly a dealer installed option at the time, and definitely not a a Zipdee. I have seen old Carefree's and some strange contraption in a box up on the rail that has poles that fold out. There also was a "bag" awning with poles and you had to put it on the coach and off each time. I think. I wasn't born when ours was made!

As for getting a zipdee, yes, you need to verify just how long to get the awning, probably by asking Andy at Inland or AS customer service.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
As for getting a zipdee, yes, you need to verify just how long to get the awning, probably by asking Andy at Inland or AS customer service.

John
I called ZipDee a few weeks ago to get a price for an Awning and as I didn´t know the length needed I just told them which Trailer we have. They told me which length we need and gave me the same price as Andi at InlandRV (both prices for the Awning without shipping!). So just call ZipDee or Andi, they´ll both be very helpfull...

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey folks,

If you need help on the East Coast, I'm also a Zip-Dee dealer . Awning installation is not rocket science and Zip-Dee provides very clear instructions. You just need a second (or 3rd person for awnings over 20') to help slide it in to the awning rail and hold dit while you secure the arms to the coach.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
palm springs , California
can't find evidence of awning at all!

Hey all
I'm thinking I should order the awning fast since it sounds like it takes a while to get...However i don't have anything on my trailer that would indicate a previous awning...There is no "rail" So how do I put one on? Thanks
happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaze
Hey all
I'm thinking I should order the awning fast since it sounds like it takes a while to get...However i don't have anything on my trailer that would indicate a previous awning...There is no "rail" So how do I put one on? Thanks

I had always thought that the rail was standard equipment. It is a split metal tube that runs from the back of the front end cap to the front of the back end cap about where the roof meets the wall panels. The tube is about 3/8" in diameter, make sure that you either do or don't have this. If you don't, then maybe it was damaged and removed. There for rivets would be filling the original rivet holes.

As for installing one, someone else will have to guide you, but good luck!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Awning Rails

Some have 'em.....some don't. It's not a problem to install one and Zip Dee will include it in the shipping tube if requested. You can call them for your length spec's as they maintain a file on every Airstream that they made an awning for since they became the preferred OEM awning supplier to A/S.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote