Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #1

2014 31' Classic
Eagle River , Alaska
Zipdee awning pulling away from airstream

Hi, I’m new to the forums and this is my first post.

I recently purchased a 2014 30 foot airstream classic. The gentleman who sold it to me was showing me the “Relax” zipdee awning and instead of hitting the open button he hit the tilt button and the arm started to lift. Before I realized what was happening the arm started to lift the covered portion of the awning up and away from the trailer. I could see screws coming out of the airstream. It looks like this has probably happened before as both ends of the awning appear separated from the airstream. The separation runs probably 2 1/2 to 3 feet towards the middle of the trailer at each end and when the awning is open you can see approximately three screws in the gap at each end. I’ve attached some photos and I’ve circled the screws in red on the photos and also the light brown area that shows the light coming through from the caulking. For some reason the photos are all upside down. Sorry.

Has anyone had any experience with this and any ideas as to how I would repair it? When we checked the top of the trailer it appears the caulking is still in place and still adhered to the trailer. I have attached a video but it’s very hard to see the screws. You can see where there is a small sliver of light brown color; that is the light shining through the caulking on the other side.

My husband thinks we can pull the stripped screws out, use JB Weld Steel Stik (see photo) and then drill new screws into the Steel Stik bond. Any advice would be appreciated. We live in Alaska so I have no way of getting this to certified airstream repair shop.

Terri

Attachment 318040

Attachment 318041

Attachment 318042

Attachment 318043ive in

Attachment 318044
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACAAC444-71EF-4FAF-98DA-29421C2B1F3D.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	318046   Click image for larger version

Name:	B12696F2-FB0A-4C53-9DD6-B0C2C7B9C6E4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	318047  

Click image for larger version

Name:	F44B90D5-0A32-4183-A5E1-FE70D1E74BB4.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	318048  
Attached Files
Therczeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:20 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
First, the Relax awning is malfunctioning, as it should never work as you described. It should be repaired, probably with a replacement control board, to prevent this from happening again. The "tilt" button should have no effect until the awning is fully deployed.
Next, it's hard to see in the pictures, and my browser won't allow Flash to run, but the attachments of the awning rail to the body of the trailer should be rivets, not screws. If there are screws holding the awning rail to the trailer, they will need to be replaced by rivets, and sealed to prevent water from leaking in =to the trailer during rain/snow events.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

2014 31' Classic
Eagle River , Alaska
Thanks for the information Terry. It’s funny you should say that because I did contact zipdee and have already received a replacement control board and motor. We haven’t put those in yet so that will be the next thing we do. I’ll also check for rivets vs. screws.
Therczeg is offline   Reply With Quote