Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
ZipDee Awning and the Firefly

We have a 2017 Classic 30' Twin. We thought that we finally got all the bugs out of this unit but found a new critter. Don't get me wrong, we've had several RV's and none of them came with zero defects.

We love this trailer however, we recently started to use the awning and have been unable to get the tilt function to work. Our unit has the firefly lighting system which includes the operation of our awning. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks Ray
asw211rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
No issues with tilt here. We actually don’t use our tilt at all. I know it was designed to let the rain fall off but we have heard way to many stories about rain or wind ripping the entire awning off our unit and the cost to fix being $10k, we just bring our awning in with wind or rain.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
Zip Dee Relax/Firefly

I am now thinking that maybe my problem is Firefly related but who knows! Thanks for your reply. Safe travels. Ray
asw211rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by asw211rf View Post
I am now thinking that maybe my problem is Firefly related but who knows! Thanks for your reply. Safe travels. Ray

I have heard that the motherboard for the awning can sometimes have bad connections. You can check to ensure you have the most recent firefly upgrade. Mine was upgrade this past March to version 3.8

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by asw211rf View Post
We have a 2017 Classic 30' Twin. We thought that we finally got all the bugs out of this unit but found a new critter. Don't get me wrong, we've had several RV's and none of them came with zero defects.

We love this trailer however, we recently started to use the awning and have been unable to get the tilt function to work. Our unit has the firefly lighting system which includes the operation of our awning. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks Ray
Oh, boy...don't get me started. We have a '17 Classic 30 Twin. In April on the way to Missouri we had an unintended awning extension at 65 mph. Yep, ripped the awning right off. If you are concerned about connections, you may want to gat that checked out before your next trip. When I had the awning replaced at JC ($10,500.00), it was found that there were connection issues plus the awning control board was not mounted to the floor.

JC did a great job repairing Elsa!! The service tech used different connectors; mounted the awning control panel to the floor; and added a power disconnect switch. One thing the service tech showed me was that multiple wires connect to the control board through a plastic connector that can work loose. He zip tied this connector to the control board. Good luck! Padawan
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
PRIOR LAKE , Minnesota
Awning control board location

Oh and if you don't know where the awning control board resides, it is on the floor under the kitchen sink. Pull out the bottom drawer under the kitchen sink and it will be there on the floor. Padawan
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote