Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

FWIW...the zip tie is to prevent pre-mature arm deployment under adverse road conditions...once was enough.:

For re-usability, try using a Velcro strap. ZipDee reps hands out red ones with their logos. Got mine when they installed optional rear and road side awnings at their factory.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461794333.836336.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461794441.739662.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  80.5 KB

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
We accomplish the same thing with our Zip Dee sun screen accessory. We bungee it to the ground to provide some give to the awning, should a wind slam into it.
I mentioned that to the ZD rep at the Florida State Rally after he said do not under any circumstances tie the awning down when opened. He rolled his eyes and had nothing else to add, keeping to the party line like a good employee.
I was thanking the same as you. The sun screen room when properly installed seems to really beef up the awning. I have only used my screen room a couple of times because it is such a PITA to put up and take down.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I was thanking the same as you. The sun screen room when properly installed seems to really beef up the awning. I have only used my screen room a couple of times because it is such a PITA to put up and take down.
One of the main things a screen room does is it provides a windbreak to reduce uplift forces on the awning fabric. With the screen walls in place, the wind can still suck the fabric up through a venturi effect, but it's harder for wind to get underneath to blow the fabric up directly.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
One of the main things a screen room does is it provides a windbreak to reduce uplift forces on the awning fabric. With the screen walls in place, the wind can still suck the fabric up through a venturi effect, but it's harder for wind to get underneath to blow the fabric up directly.
Agree, the sun room is designed to add water to the bottoms to hold it down. No idea how much but I would guess a couple of hundred pounds when full.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I have the original 1972 awnings on my Overlander. Other than doing something very stupid - like leaving it deployed in the rain, this thing has worked flawlessly. Back to the issue, I bent the main tube and replaced it myself using the ladder method they describe. It's very important not to wind the rear tension arm too tightly. I remember the formula to be length plus seven equals number of turns. Then be very careful as you are now holding a propellor. Either way, it's doable but not very much fun. All three of my zip dees work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #46

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Agree, the sun room is designed to add water to the bottoms to hold it down. No idea how much but I would guess a couple of hundred pounds when full.
about 150 pounds for the 8-foot tubes for each end wall, and about 225 pounds for the 12-foot tube for the long front wall, if you fill them as full as possible. In actual practice the fill ports aren't well located, and you'd be lucky to get half of that weight of water in them.

I bought some of those Zip-Dee tubes for my Fiamma Privacy Room for my Interstate, so I could use the Privacy Room without having to drive stakes— it's hard to drive stakes for a screen room when you're parked on pavement. I eventually got rid of the Privacy Room, though. More trouble than it's worth for a solo traveler, especially if you're trying to take it down in order to take in the awning before a storm hits. Can you say "Chinese Fire Drill"?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Agree, I actually find it more trouble than it is worth. If the bugs are so bad that bug killer or my electric repellant does not work I go inside. I do have a sun shade that I made and use it all the time. It attaches to the same snaps as the sun room.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #48
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
I have the original 1972 awnings on my Overlander. Other than doing something very stupid - like leaving it deployed in the rain,

You can't use it in the rain?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
You can't use it in the rain?

As long as the wind is not blowing too hard I leave mine up in the rain. Love sitting outside when it is raining.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:25 PM   #50
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I also leave mine open during showers so I can sit outside. I thought maybe I was doing it wrong....lol
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I love watching a rain storm under the awning. Just gotta remember to angle the awning so rain doesn't puddle up and of course, if it's windy, roll it up and hop in the trailer!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
From my experience where you have to be real careful is in storing the awning placing the rafter arm hook on the storage pins. With all the weight and leverage of the whole awning it is easy to bend the bottom curved end of the main awning arm. As an alternative attach the rafter arm to the storage pin after the awning is rolled up
Thanks for mentioning this! I'll try putting the arms on the pins after the awning is retracted. The last time we used our awning we bent that bottom curved piece on the rear arm. The awning is 40 years old and we've used it a number of times in the 7 years we've had the trailer with no problems prior to this. I'm not sure what we did different this time. I made a new piece and bent it to match the front one. $3 in materials and an excuse to use my milling machine. Not knowing what caused this one to bend, I was worried that if I bought a new one I'd bend that one too.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #53
1Boyscout

2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
Angry Zipdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi View Post
Sorry, it was protagonist. I guess I am feeling a little antagonistic after spending more money and time on my zip dee awning:}
I concur with Robi. WATCHED the video 6-7 x. OPENS OK. Closing is a disgusting hassle every time. The back brace is the culprit each time. Tried silicone, I guess
I should have used a lot more.

You would expect a better product considering how much an AS COSTS, ,3 to 4 times more than a JC Eagle.

Have not used it the last 6 weeks on our last trip. Quality is missing!
One of the hooks on the front brace broke at our orientation at the dealer.
I love towing my 2015, handling and gas saving is great.

The Carefree awning on my 2012 SOB, electric, was a pleasure to use with 1 finger.
1Boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:34 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
CRH - I don't leave it deployed when it's raining - I am perhaps a tad cautious. Once bitten, etc.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
I have been using Zipdee awnings on 2 different Airstreams over the past 12 years. I'm rather amazed at the intensity of the complaints in this thread - I have had zero issues operating both awnings. It's hard to imagine having so much trouble after watching the various instruction videos.

I have no magic suggestions, I'm just baffled.

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #56

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
It's hard to imagine having so much trouble after watching the various instruction videos.
I'm sure not everyone has seen those instructional videos. The elderly folks I assisted with their Zip-Dee a couple of weeks ago certainly hadn't— and neither had I, until later on this very thread. They've had their Airstream since 2005 when it was brand new, and in all that time, apparently no one ever showed them the right way to do it. They did it the way they figured out for themselves, and that's how they directed me when I helped. It required a stepstool and brute force and was done in the wrong sequence. And they didn't use that rod shown on the videos, though I think they had one and just didn't know what it was for. Or maybe they knew how to use the rod but their hands shook too much to use it effectively.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I operated my ZD the hard way for the first 6 months I had the trailer. Someone here graciously posted a link to Colonial Patrick's videos. What was pretty much a PITA became very easy and quick operation. Learned a few more tips and tricks from the ZD rep at the Florida State Rally. Biggest, lubricate, lubricate and keep lubricated.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Can someone post the link to this helpful instructional video? 😃

2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroyl View Post
Can someone post the link to this helpful instructional video? 😃

https://www.airstream.com/setup-take-awning/
Here is a different video, which also shows the caravan position for the awning.

Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:22 PM   #60
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Ditto what AWCHIEF said - especially about lubricate. If the parts don't slide, then the spring is strong enough to bend the arm.

Once I realized that (and re-bent the arm to match the front arm angle) I reinstalled and now clean and lubricate with spray silicone regularly.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote