Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Hey, Kevio. You got a lot of folks out here curious about your results/where you stand on your efforts. How about a post?
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Karnes City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
Hey, Kevio. You got a lot of folks out here curious about your results/where you stand on your efforts. How about a post?
Sorry for the delay but thanks for all the tips. My wife uses this trailer for her business and has had a lot of shows lately, so I didn't want to get in a situation where I can't secure the awning. We have a two-day show this weekend but I'll try some of these tips next week. That way, if I end up having to replace it, I have time to order a new one. Thanks!
Kevio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Karnes City , Texas
I ended up getting it off with a plumber's wrench. I couldn't use anything to protect the wheel without the wrench sliding, so it's a little scuffed up. However, it didn't unscrew, it just twisted the small locking pin and snapped it. I'll put the wheel and screw on the bench and separate them but I'm just ordering completely new assemblies. If I get the other parts separated I'll keep them as possible spares. Thanks for all the input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8422.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	321132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8431.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	321133  

Old 08-30-2018, 05:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Karnes City , Texas
I put the assembly in the vice on my work bench and tried the plumbing wrench but it won't budge. I may order some large channel locks to give that a try. If it doesn't, I guess I'll have a new desk accessory for my office.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Car mechanics have some kind of solution in which they soak things like this for days. I would even consider putting some in a stainless pot and heating it up carefully, after a day or two of soaking. Then remove the assembly from the liquid and put it in a Ziploc bag and freeze it for a couple of days. Repeat as needed.

How about this?

https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Pe...A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

"A scientific principle reduces the surface tension so that this amazing solvent creeps into openings as small as one millionth of an inch. Kroil loosens frozen metal joints in minutes. Dissolves gum, dried grease, and oil -- without attacking the metal. Displaces water, provides lubrication and prevents rust."

When you are ready, put the shaft back in the vise, and use a propane torch to heat the circular part carefully near the shaft.

To paraphrase a famous old carpenter, "Give shot pipe wrench," and voila! [RIP RG Sr.]

No? Then you are shafted!

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:25 PM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Car mechanics have some kind of solution in which they soak things like this for days. I would even consider putting some in a stainless pot and heating it up carefully, after a day or two of soaking. Then remove the assembly from the liquid and put it in a Ziploc bag and freeze it for a couple of days. Repeat as needed.

How about this?

https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Pe...A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

"A scientific principle reduces the surface tension so that this amazing solvent creeps into openings as small as one millionth of an inch. Kroil loosens frozen metal joints in minutes. Dissolves gum, dried grease, and oil -- without attacking the metal. Displaces water, provides lubrication and prevents rust."

When you are ready, put the shaft back in the vise, and use a propane torch to heat the circular part carefully near the shaft.

To paraphrase a famous old carpenter, "Give shot pipe wrench," and voila! [RIP RG Sr.]

No? Then you are shafted!

Good luck,

Peter
YEP...Blaster PB worked for us. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Do you live near salt water?
I wonder if the bolt part is stainless and the wheel aluminum, and galvanic corrosion caused the two parts to weld together?

In my boating days, we were always cautioned to not use stainless screws into aluminum unless we first used a "anti-seize" lubricant grease on the threads.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote