Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
ZIP DEE TROPIC ROOM - I Need Advice!!!

Has anyone actually purchased and used a ZIP DEE TROPIC ROOM for their Airstream?? We from time to time, spend 1-2 weeks at the same State Park, BLM area, or public lands location. We thought it would be nice to have an attached screen room for extra outside space, insect protection, etc, etc. So rather than a standalone screen house, we are looking into the ZIP DEE TROPIC ROOM attached screen room.

I was taken-a-back, when I called our Airstream Dealer, and found out they have only sold one one in many many years, and then called other dealers, and none of them had an opinion or had customers that had purchased them and could give us any feedback on ease of use, quality, usefulness?? This seemed to raise a RED FLAG...

Have any of you purchased a ZIP DEE TROPIC ROOM?? I would value your opinion and advice on this.

Thanks
Al
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I don't think they are very popular for many reasons but here are a couple links to previous discussions. I also saw a couple for sale in the classifieds. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...ns-134273.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...ure-81677.html
Old 09-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My Safari came with a never used or even fitted tropic room. I installed it several months ago and have used it a couple of time. My opinions is it is more trouble than it is worth under most situations. PITA to put up and take down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	248761  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
1995 36' Classic 36
Ambler , Pennsylvania
We have one for our Airstream motorhome and use it for extended stays. We spend a lot of time in Maine and find it very helpful to keep out bugs and rain. I have seen them used for sale. I bought mine used and put in on my Airstream trailer. When we got the motorhome I remade it to fit the motorhome. It seem the ones I have seen for sale have been used very little. One thing I did not like was the zipper at the corner which needed to be ziped and unzipped each time you needed to go out. When I remade it It using the magnets from a portable screen door sold on as seen on TV. That way you just push through and the magnets close it. There may be one on the classified in the forumns.
nawwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The corner zippers are also one of my negative issues. I like the idea of the magnets.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Victoria Harbour , Ontario
Zip Dee Tropic Room

I have also been considering a Tropic Room, but my wife prefers the Dometic Patty O Room, which has flaps for privacy/rain. We had the Dometic product on our previous 2 trailers.
nevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cassopolis , Michigan
Take a ladder unless you are very tall. Also consider that it won't work on an electric awning-the gas struts that stabilize the corners interfere with the tops of the zippers.

Also make sure you have storage space for it. Folded, ours requires around 2'x1.5' in one side compartment. Full ht.
biyak269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My Interstate has a Fiamma awning, so I bought a Fiamma "Privacy Room" for it. Like the Zip-Dee Tropic Room, it has one glaring drawback— if high winds kick up suddenly, it's all but impossible to quickly take down the walls safely and retract the awning before one or the other is damaged. So if you use any kind of walls for your awning, make sure to check the extended forecast for your area with particular attention to forecast winds and wind gusts, and take down the walls well in advance.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Diy??

Interesting topic. I'd looked into the Zip Dee tropic room too, and concluded that they were too expensive for what you get. I have a design in my head for how to make one that would work just as well, but DH doesn't want to do "another project." I love projects, which is the problem.

Anyway, I might think about it again next season. Interestingly, no place that we camped this year had many mosquitoes, which I find somewhat odd given what a mosquito magnet I usually am!
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
BTW, when I was looking at them I talked to the company. They are custom made to your measurements. That's something to think about if you are considering buying a used one. The tricky part is the piece that fits under the steps to keep bugs from coming at you from under the trailer.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We looked into it before a long trip several years ago. Found it to be very expensive then, can't be better now. So we purchased a nice easy up and down screen room. Very happy with it. Used it as our outside living room. Works great. If a storm is coming it can be brought down in just a couple minutes.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #12

2005 22' Safari
Tallahassee , Florida
Our tropic room came with our used airstream. It has been valuable camping in Florida....extends living space with a 22 ft safari.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Sparky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I saw what looks like a good deal on a used Tropic Room. What does a new one cost?

My 34 is parked in one spot in NM (high wind) for extended periods. What do you think about using extra lines and stakes to secure the awning for high wind?

How long does it take to set up a Tropic Room?

Thanks,
Marshall
Old 09-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2001 27' Safari
1995 36' Classic 36
Ambler , Pennsylvania
We have one which use in Maine for about three months a year. I have water in the weight sacks snd it is staked and tied down. We have never had a problem but we are in trees which break the wind from the ocean. We like it and it keeps the bugs way and gives us a place to store our bikes.
I would not use it for short stays as it is a lot to set up and take down and a storage problem.
I got mine used so make sure the fit is correctly as they are a bear to alter. make sure it is same size trailer.
Nancy
nawwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawwin View Post
We have one which use in Maine for about three months a year. I have water in the weight sacks snd it is staked and tied down. We have never had a problem but we are in trees which break the wind from the ocean. We like it and it keeps the bugs way and gives us a place to store our bikes.
I would not use it for short stays as it is a lot to set up and take down and a storage problem.
I got mine used so make sure the fit is correctly as they are a bear to alter. make sure it is same size trailer.
Nancy
I am not getting the answers I need from the seller. Initially said in the classified listing the Tropic Room is for a 24 foot awning. On my 34 footer I have a 21'6" awning. Talked to the seller who said "I was not to careful when I measured but it will absolutely fit".Talked to Zipdee and it sounds like the biggest Tropic Room may be 22 feet. Asked seller for info on year and model the Tropic Room was for and did not yet get an answer. What other specs to I need to know?