Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Zip-Dee Travel Latch - HELP!

We installed our new Zip-Dee awning today. Everything went fairly ok until I got the travel latch. It has me stymied...

In reading the directions, the hook piece that attaches to the awning metal cover should be screwed to the first section of the cover. But the first section of the cover is mostly under the awning and sitting next to the trailer skin. There’s not enough to it exposed to actually mount the hook to.

If I hold the hook in the correct position on the cover so it can latch into the eye that mounts on the trailer, the screw for the hook lines up exactly dead center of the hinge between the first and second metal sections of the cover. I doubt putting the screw through the hinge is a good idea.

If I move the hook up a bit onto the second section of the metal cover so the screw will clear the hinge, then it will not engage the eye of the latch unless I raise the latch up off the trailer about 1/4” with spacers.

Does anyone have a picture of their Zip-Dee travel latch installed on their awning that they can post? I’d love to see how others are installed before installing ours.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
One more question - why install it at the rear of the awning instead of the front?

Chris
Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
I unroll the awning about a foot to get to the travel hook and nut. I have them at both ends......extra precaution.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Does anyone have a picture of their Zip-Dee travel latch installed on their awning that they can post? I’d love to see how others are installed before installing ours.

Chris
From what you are asking, this might be what you are looking for. It looks as if the hook were mounted vertical, it would be dead center on the hinge between sections 1 & 2. Positioned offset, it then can be mounted on the slat.

No reason comes to mind as why they recommend mounting it towards the rear end of the awning other than the spring mechanism is on that end as I recall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3219240038.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	186081  
Old 05-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Exactly the picture Chris needed, Silver Goose! Yes, he was trying to get the hook vertical and it wasn't making sense. Antique Peddler, your answer makes sense too. We are thinking about 2 latches as well. This is an investment we definitely don't want to have to repeat!

Kay
Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Why not call ZipDee? They are always glad to talk with customers.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
It was Saturday... I would have called this morning if no-one responded.

Chris
Old 05-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sorry - I should have observed that Silver Goose provided just what you needed and timely too. Just wanted to encourage you to call them. Looks like another happy ending.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
That's interesting. Mine came on the AS with 2 latches. Wonder why the add on version only has one?? I wouldn't trust it with just one. In fact I found some white velcro ribbon inside and I use it around the forward braces just in case the latch were to come loose. I think the latches are poorly designed. After almost 1 1/2 years of use I can never get the awning to roll up tight enough to latch. I aways have to use a step stool to reach up and push it by hand. If I let it roll up fast it doesn't even go into the cover all the way.

I notice that on the higher level Airstreams (I have the basic Sport model) they use a locking wheel mechanism instead of a hook. I wonder if those can be retrofitted to mine. Guess I should call Zip Dee when I get back from my Memorial Day weekend camping trip.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ours came with 2 locking wheels (one front and one back) and 1 latch. We will add another latch for peace of mind. We don't think the locking wheels are really very secure and we're using a step stool to manually snug them down instead of trying to do it with the wand from the ground.
Rich, sounds like maybe your awning isn't tensioned enough. According to the directions we followed to install ours, it should be tensioned so that the awning will roll up after being started by hand for about 1 foot. It took a few tries with 3 of us to get it tensioned correctly, but the 21 ft awning rolls up easily now with just a push of my hand.

Kay
Old 05-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
We don't think the locking wheels are really very secure and we're using a step stool to manually snug them down instead of trying to do it with the wand from the ground.
The locking wheels are the primary lock for the awning. Everything else is a backup. They didn't even install the backup measures until the 90s or later; my parents' '87 has nothing other than the wheels, and my main awning only has the additional cam lock that prevents it from rolling, no hook lock at all. The one streetside awning has a hook lock on it - apparently that's recommended for those awnings over a certain length.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Mino, thats what I was thinking, that it needs tensioning. I will have to look up how to do that since it was already installed by the factory.

Skater, not all zip dees have locking wheels. Mine only came with the 2 latches and that almost worthless aluminum pole that bends like spaghetti every time I use it. I was pleased to see an ad in the latest AS Life advertising a retro kit to modify zip dees and fit a 12 volt electric extender/retractor. It's sold by zip dee. I am going to check it out. Might save a lot of frustration if it doesn't cost too big a fortune.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Try drilling a small hole through the hook and when it's latched slip a latch pin through the hole and the hook can't come out.
2005 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
Minno did you install travel latch yet ? I just installed my awning on my 65 Safari and have the same problem with the latch placement. Can you post picture .Thanks for the help
Old 05-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I did get the latch installed before our Memorial Weekend camping trip at bear Head Lake St. park (in northern MN). I should have taken a picture of it at the time, as it latched better than it does now. Not sure what the difference is after using the awning for several days - maybe I need to unroll the awning and roll it back up again to see if it rolls up tighter. When I first installed it, the hook of the latch went about halfway though the eye. Now it's just barely catching on the eye. But, it didn't vibrate loose on the trip home. We carry a step stool with us so we can use our hand to tighten the wheel clamps that hold the top of the awning rails in place. Using the rod just isn’t a very practical way to loosen or tighten those wheels in our opinion. The wheel clamps did not vibrate loose at all on either day of towing, and we hit some pretty rough roads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0531 awning latch.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	186980

Chris
Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
Minno thanks I will take another look at mine
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
From looks of pics. the hook is installed to far aft center of hook [pivot point] should be centered above eye Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Minneapolis , Minnesota
I too have the same problem. I installed my awning last fall and am just now getting around to installing the hook. My hook lands right on the hinge line as well.
I called Zip Dee yesterday and the advise I got was to omit the hook. The lock wheels should be adequate. I think he said something about they would be required on a window awning, because it has no lock wheels.
61 Streamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Follow up to pos. of hook and eye, hook looks as mounted hor. & eye is to high under awning, hook should be vert. mount just below hinge then pos. eye to line up as I stated in earlier reply this is only way that I have seen Zipdee mount hook & eye, they put my awning at Zipdee fact. & that is how they did mine be careful when installing eye as they put window awning eye a tad bit low as I have to pull awning a tad to hook into eye
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Fetherbedder, can you post a picture of your latch? As a I mentioned in post 1, if I make the hook vertical, the screw lands right in the middle of the hinge between the two cover sections.

61 Streamy - interesting. I think I'll call Zip Dee and see what they have to say about mine.

Chris