Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I have the thumb wheels on the curbside awning. This is the awning that has the loose travel latch/hook. Its mounted on one of the aluminum plates that roll up with the awning.

Kelvin

Old 08-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I forgot about this thread...

I'm no longer concerned about the hook latch. The wheel locks work very well, and we carry a folding step stool so we can reach them to tighten them down without using the awning rod. They have not loosened at all in the 2 1/2 week trip we took (over 3000 miles).

Kelvin, my hook latch attached to the awning using a phillips screw on the backside. There 's a nylon washer on sides of the awning cover if memory serves. I used locktite on the screw threads since I didn't want it coming loose. You do not need to unroll the awning very far to get a stubby screwdriver in there and tighten the screw down.

I may join others and use zip ties around the awning arms while traveling. Cheap enough insurance.

Chris

Old 08-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
I may join others and use zip ties around the awning arms while traveling. Cheap enough insurance.

Chris
Good idea! I just ordered an arm from ZipDee because our Sovereign was missing one when we bought it. Cost was $91 including shipping. We've been using an arm off our Overlander but I didn't realize until our last trip that because it was from a newer awning it wasn't locking in with the knob at the top. The only thing keeping it from falling out was the 1/4" pin at the bottom, and it was loose. I redrilled the hole and threaded it for a stub of 5/16" bolt.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Something you may want to consider… Velcro wrap straps. A single strap of Velcro with hooks on one side and loops on the other. Put a screw through the Velcro (with a washer) to attach it permanently to the awning arm. With it permanently attached, you're less likely to forget, and you don't need to cut it off with a knife every time you set up your awning as you would with plastic zip ties.

If you get a bright color like red or Safety Yellow or Hunter's Orange, it's also less likely you'll forget and leave the Velcro flapping in the breeze; you'll see it in your passenger-side mirror.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #33
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
You guys ever see this video.

Zip Dee Patio Awning Operating Instructions For Airstream - YouTube
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
The Airstream he is demonstrating on has a center support like my 2008 Classic 25fB but he doesn't deploy it. I found if you deploy the center support and then make further adjustments to the awning such as to raise it more, will cause the center support to come out of the hole and slam back onto the trailer side causing small dents and scratches. The previous owner did this and unfortunately so have I. The center support I only deploy when I confident the awning is where I want it.

I also have to use a small step ladder for the center support, I'm 5' 10" and its out of reach when the awning is out. Any time I want to make and awning adjustment I always stow the center arm.

I'm kinda envious watching all the SOBs with their electric awnings.

Kelvin
Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

I'm kinda envious watching all the SOBs with their electric awnings.

Kelvin
Zip Dee now makes an electric awning to replace yours, just came out. I've seen the price of the three factory awning option (expensive), but not the single curbside replacement.

http://awningsbyzipdee.com/2773/115112.html

doug
Old 08-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
The Airstream he is demonstrating on has a center support like my 2008 Classic 25fB but he doesn't deploy it. I found if you deploy the center support and then make further adjustments to the awning such as to raise it more, will cause the center support to come out of the hole and slam back onto the trailer side causing small dents and scratches. The previous owner did this and unfortunately so have I. The center support I only deploy when I confident the awning is where I want it.

Kelvin
Maybe the center arm isn't mounted correctly. I've adjusted our awning with the center support in place and have never had it come out.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Our instructions that came for the center support said to attach the side arms, then raise the awning up 1 hole, then put the center support in and tighten it. Then you raise the awning the rest of the way. We've been doing this and have not had the center support come out at all.

Kay
Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
I've had similar experiences as described by KJRichie. Now I deploy the center support after the awning is where I want it to be. May try the "first hole" approach described above. My owners manual did not mention this method.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #39
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
My, my, I just posted on another thread on the Zip Dee. (Apparently this is the season for awning issues.) I have had zero "fix it" issues on my trailer during it's warranty period....save one. The rear locking will not lock into it's travel position. I am getting this fixed, though I confess that I was never able to really get it to work correctly. Oh, and when I had my walk through it was suggested to just climb up on the step and do the front wheel lock manually as the extension rod is so hard to work. So true.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Our instructions that came for the center support said to attach the side arms, then raise the awning up 1 hole, then put the center support in and tighten it. Then you raise the awning the rest of the way. We've been doing this and have not had the center support come out at all.

Kay
I don't have an instructions for the center support. When my center support came out and slammed back to the trailer I had deployed the awning to where I thought I wanted it then deployed the center support. My center support is like the main awning supports you have to pull on it for the latch to catch on the first hole. I can't extend it any more past the first hole because its tight up against the awning tube. Then I realized the awning was too low because the entrance door was going to hit it so I raised it up from each side. As the awning raised it moved up and away from the center support and the center support came out of the awning tube and swung back and BAM!!! My brother and law came out from his 5th wheel in the next campsite and said my awning was kicking my ass

Kelvin
Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
If the center came out, I suspect it was because you did not push on the arm to engage the ratchet and spring. You must also do this with the side arms. The best way to understand this is to watch the video.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #42
Taroni

2014 22' FB Sport
Lake Jackson , Texas
One of my travel latches fell off on our trip to Bellville, Texas this weekend. Called Holiday World to try to order one but they never called me back.

Tom Taroni