Old 05-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I did get the latch installed before our Memorial Weekend camping trip at bear Head Lake St. park (in northern MN). I should have taken a picture of it at the time, as it latched better than it does now. Not sure what the difference is after using the awning for several days - maybe I need to unroll the awning and roll it back up again to see if it rolls up tighter. When I first installed it, the hook of the latch went about halfway though the eye. Now it's just barely catching on the eye. But, it didn't vibrate loose on the trip home. We carry a step stool with us so we can use our hand to tighten the wheel clamps that hold the top of the awning rails in place. Using the rod just isn’t a very practical way to loosen or tighten those wheels in our opinion. The wheel clamps did not vibrate loose at all on either day of towing, and we hit some pretty rough roads.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0531 awning latch.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	186980

Chris

Old 06-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rescue , California
Minno thanks I will take another look at mine

Old 06-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
From looks of pics. the hook is installed to far aft center of hook [pivot point] should be centered above eye Bill
Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Minneapolis , Minnesota
I too have the same problem. I installed my awning last fall and am just now getting around to installing the hook. My hook lands right on the hinge line as well.
I called Zip Dee yesterday and the advise I got was to omit the hook. The lock wheels should be adequate. I think he said something about they would be required on a window awning, because it has no lock wheels.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Follow up to pos. of hook and eye, hook looks as mounted hor. & eye is to high under awning, hook should be vert. mount just below hinge then pos. eye to line up as I stated in earlier reply this is only way that I have seen Zipdee mount hook & eye, they put my awning at Zipdee fact. & that is how they did mine be careful when installing eye as they put window awning eye a tad bit low as I have to pull awning a tad to hook into eye
Old 06-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Fetherbedder, can you post a picture of your latch? As a I mentioned in post 1, if I make the hook vertical, the screw lands right in the middle of the hinge between the two cover sections.

61 Streamy - interesting. I think I'll call Zip Dee and see what they have to say about mine.

Chris
Old 06-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Try to hold hook vert. just down from hinge then hook into eye this should work. Install hook 1st. then eye, as I see your pics. it looks as eye is mounted to high I can take pics. but don't no how to post. pm me w/phone # I can explain better than typing it Bill
Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
No one answered whether the hook can be put on the trailing end of the awning rather than the front. It CAN, but the whole purpose of that hook is to keep the awning from deploying while underway - and the leading edge of the awning will be the part caught by the wind. (Unless you're backing up at 55 mph of course)

Paula
Old 06-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Zipdee installed patio & window awnings w/hook aft end my A.S. Patio has wheel locks both ends
Old 06-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Paula, the instructions that came with the latch say to install it at the rear. The eye should be located so one if the rivets goes into a rib.

I'm calling Zip Dee tomorrow. I'll report back what they say.

Chris
Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
This is how I installed the latch on our Overlander.

From photos others have posted it appears that I should have been able to do it without the spacer, but I didn't see how at the time. This has worked fine, but our '74 Sovereign with factory installed awning doesn't have this latch and we've never had any indication that the wheel locks have loosened in travel.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
On the lock wheels....

.....the rear wheel never lined up properly on our Classic, very difficult getting it locked down properly. Plus the awning was rolling up like a crooked window shade.

After loosing the rear lower support arm while on the road I noticed the main awning support arm was not plumb, it was off to the rear about 3"....

I used the forward mount hole, drilled two more and replaced the mount screws with stainless hex head bolts. Also replaced the screws on the forward lower mount.
The wheel now lines up and locks easily, and the awning retracts straight as an arrow.

Plus...a zip-tie now secures both supports to the main arm, just to make sure it doesn't un-hook itself again.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I noticed my travel latch seems to be loose on the awning. Is there an acorn nut behind it? The hook has a nylon washer on the exterior. Is there a nut with lock washer on the other side which I can't see?

My trailer is in storage and there is a 30 AS next it on the curbside. Do I only need to pull out the awning a little bit to tighten the nut?

Seems like a lot of the acorn nuts come loose on these awnings. I decided to use blue Loctite on those threads on my curb, street and rear window awning.

Kelvin
Old 08-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My awning has the thumb wheels on each end and also has the little locking lever that you have to pull out to get the roller to work. My street side awning has the hook thing on the front end. The hooks seems to work on the street side awning but I would prefer to have a roller lock as well. By the way, my street side awning got ripped off the trailer a while back in a tornado. The other awnings were still intact and I put the street side one back on. The tornado pulled the mounting bracket right off the trailer. I can take a photo of the hook location on mine if that would help.

Here is a pic I stole from another thread on the thumb wheels. These are your best bet for insuring the awning won't come loose. They can be a pain to deal with. My front and rear awnings don't have locks at all.

Perry