Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I like the idea of the ZipDee Tropic Room! Awnings By Zip Dee
Our trailer is so small that it would be a tiny little room but to be able to stay away from the bugs......
We are thinking about it.
Bruce
Any chance the Awnings by Zip Dee link can be Fe posted. It says file not found.

Thanks

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #22
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Go to the zip dee website.

I have enjoyed my zd sunshade, btw. Easy to install and use.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #23
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Sure, here you go,
Solar Shade: http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/solar-shade.html
Tropic Room: http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/tropic-room.html

However, before you spend money on these, I'll challenge you a little with this scenario: a fast-moving rather strong thunderstorm moves in on you and your awning. You need to get that awning in fast to save it from likely damage via the strong winds. Will either of these add-ons allow you to move fast enough to save your awning?

We had this exact scenario happen to us while camping in Florida with a classic afternoon thundershower. One minute it was hot and sunny. Next minute we had a pretty vigorous storm on top of us with lots of wind and rain blowing sideways. We barely got the awning in fast enough to avoid wind damage to the awning. Some of our neighbors, who left their awnings out and went out do do offsite activities, were less fortunate and lost their awnings.

We had neither of these nifty add-ons, thank goodness, which allowed us to move quickly.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #24
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have and use the Zip Dee sun shade. For just an overnight or emergency roll up I leave it on and just let it loosely roll up. Then I simply pull the awning out in the morning or when the storm passes by. It will add bulk and will not roll tight enough to secure for travel but for an overnight or a few hours all's good.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #25
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
x2 with polarize. Just roll up the awning.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #26
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Rolling up the awning with the sun shade attached is an interesting idea, and may serve emergency purposes.

However, we have the electric Zip Dee Relax awning. Having already replaced the main roller motor once at a very significant expense, we would not be willing to add more load to that motor by double-rolling, as it were. So, in our case, we'll pass on the solar shade and the tropic room.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
You may very well be smart to not roll it up. Those of us with manual awnings often overlook the issues that might involve the automatic ones. So my suggestion to roll the sun shade up for temporary closures will apply only to US with manual ones.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I started this thread in 2012 and actually purchased a ZipDee solar shade in 2017. It's now 2019 and I've finally had gotten around to installing it today.

Looks like a nice product. I'm sure I'll get a lot of use from it over the summer.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I started this thread in 2012 and actually purchased a ZipDee solar shade in 2017. It's now 2019 and I've finally had gotten around to installing it today.

Looks like a nice product. I'm sure I'll get a lot of use from it over the summer.
If you’re referring to the screen-like product, It actually is a good product. I just saw this thread or would have commented earlier.

We bought one at alumapalooza last year. The weather at JC was very sunny & hot. We had a spot at the end of a row. Installed the shade and it helped a lot.

I had the zip Dee guy install the snaps. Like others have said, don’t roll it up with the awning, except for temporary. Just unsnap and fold it up.
Cheers
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks!
Old 05-19-2022, 06:09 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Reviving an old thread - New Idea / Adding Drop Shade to Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post

Couple of old pics attached. (Our WBCCI numbers are 3805 and it was the original owner that earned the 7 stars!)
Here in the west, the summer sun can be brutal. While I just became aware of this product (and found this link to do the installation - which also shows just how quickly it can be removed in a sudden downpour https://youtu.be/sKgClnn2urk)

The picture provided on this sparked GREAT interest. We have the full awning package and it just now occurred to me that we could use this same extension on the street side of the coach...where our fridge fights to maintain coolness when the sun hits that side. Is there any reason this couldn't be added to both sides??? https://store.airstreamlife.com/prod...39313278271582
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:17 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
Update - I called ZipDee and the tech support contact confirmed that these can be placed on the large curbside awning as well as our street side short awning. I didn't realize they had both a 5' and 6' length (we're going for the 6') and they come with both grommet holes and stakes! Buying directly from ZipDee would be $201 for the 10' and $245 for the 15' plus UPS.

With some trips to AZ this summer, this is a no brainer!
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote