Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Zip Dee Patio Awning Stuck open

We are currently camped at Chapel Hill NC while my wife is receiving radiation treatment. Yesterday, I attempted to open the awning which fell leaving me with a sore shoulder. The awning is stuck open. How can I get it unstuck and rolled up so I will be able to drive to a dealer for repair? I think that the spring and Z lock assembly are broken.

Thanks Jon AC4XE
ac4xe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac4xe View Post
We are currently camped at Chapel Hill NC while my wife is receiving radiation treatment. Yesterday, I attempted to open the awning which fell leaving me with a sore shoulder. The awning is stuck open. How can I get it unstuck and rolled up so I will be able to drive to a dealer for repair? I think that the spring and Z lock assembly are broken.

Thanks Jon AC4XE
Some ZipDee awnings have a latch you have to switch to get the awning to open and close. It's at the front arm of the awning, make sure it isn't thrown in the wrong direction.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you have a z lock, you have an older awning, the newer ones do not have that feature.

The spring is located in the rear of the the roll (Patio awning) and can be very dangerous. you can remove the tension by disconnecting the rear arm and carefully unwind the arm. The arm can cause serious damage to you and your trailer if it get loose and unwinds by itself. If you can remove the tension from the roll, you can remove the arm from the head and roll the awning up by hand, attach the hold downs to the heads and re attach the arms. Spring tension on the arm is shown here:
Awnings By ZipDee

Did I mention that the arms under tension can be very dangerous?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
You should be able to roll it up by hand,may need a ladder. It won`t be as tight but will get you to where it can be repaired. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote