Old 02-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
My pole awning is permanently attached to the trailer. I made a pole frame for it that works very well. In high winds where my friends with their awnings have had to roll them in mine stays up. I do supplement the poles with ropes when wind is part of the equation or if we are going to be away from the trailer for a while as we never know about wind coming up. It works very well and my neighbor who bought my Silver Streak did an updated version of mine using the elbows one finds on boat tops that fold up and out of the way. His is much cleaner looking in how the poles fold up as part of rolling the awning up, but what we really like is that nothing needs to go into the trailer, it is all folded up nicely in the awning. I will probably update the two poles on mine that don't have the elbows and add a center pole which he has done having looked at mine to determine what improvements could be made. He did a great job.

I can put mine up and down alone in less than ten minutes but with my wife or a helper it is less than five as there is not the hassle of sliding the awning into the rail. It rolls up nicely and is not intrusive although I'd build a silver one next time rather than the blue. Mine does not have the scallops but I intend to have them made up with either snaps or velcro and include in that a way to hang my awning lights.

I've thought about a Z-D and like the simple set up and take down but I love the look of a vintage awning. I guess a snap on set of scallops would also work on a Z-D if a person wanted them. I've yet to figure out the best way to do that (snaps or velcro) but I've got a buddy who is a retired upholsterer who I'm going to tap for his knowledge one day when he's not too grumpy .

Barry

Old 02-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Sheridan, Glad you made the decision to go with the rope-less framed version. Try to find the nice old style canvas for the true vintage look.Sunbrella fabric is nice but I don't think it looks Vintage enough.You won't be sorry. We love ours.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
We have a Caravel and an old awning . Help how the heck does it hook on the rail????????
Help Help ! thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #60
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
We have a Caravel and an old awning . Help how the heck does it hook on the rail????????
Help Help ! thanks in advance.
It slides into the awning rail.

Andy
Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
It slides into the awning rail.

Andy
Does your awning have a rope sewn into it at one end? If so that slides into the rail. You have to be careful with the canvas, ours is a very tight fit.We practiced in our driveway a few times before camping so we didn't look like total newbies. We have a good routine now.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Gerr, Any chance you could show me some pictures or give me some details about your frame awning. Dimensions, how the frame is connected, how it's broken down for storage, etc. I'm going to have to make my own, they just aren't available and any help I could get would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan
Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Framed Awning

The pole framework for a free standing awning was just listed on eBay. It includes the awning and the side walls. It sounds like what you all have been describing.Good Luck.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Sheridan I would go for it.Item #130289563067.It would look great on your Caravel. This awning was on ebay a while back and did not sell. I met the seller at a rally in California last sept. Nice man. He restores Shastas. If you don't get it, somewhere I have photos of the framework of ours that I can find.Good luck
Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
I checked out the ebay listing "awning, tent style room" as per Kristi,s' and Gerr's advice and found that I would have to do some major modifications to the frame-awning for it to fit my small Caravel. For a few hundred dollars more I could have a frame-awning that fits my trailer exactly with the color of fabric and type of valance I like, and with or without walls. Thanks to Gerr for referring me to RJ Dial who referred me to:

Canvas Replacements

Dan

BTW, I'm selling my Zip Dee listed in forums classifieds.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Make sure you post some photos when you have the awning. Gerr