Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Salem , Virginia
Zip Dee Issues: upper bracket - stripped screw & plastic strip damage

The upper bracket on my Zip Dee was leaning outward and was creating a gap between the aluminum and the bracket. I took it off, removed the old vulcum, put a new layer of butyl tape on and reinstalled it. It was then I realized the gap was being caused by a stripped screw on the right side. I checked the forums and the only information I can find on this subject is folks adding another layer of metal underneath the bracket or bolting it from inside. I notice there is a dimple where a fourth screw seems like it should go. Should I drill a fourth hole where the dimple is? Use a bigger or longer screw on the stripped screw hole? Someone mentioned jb weld but I want a permanent solution. Any other ideas?

Also i noticed the protective plastic strip is peeling up and is trapping dirt. Whats the proper way to deal with this?

Thanks!!
JConsroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I used oversized Olympic rivets.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Salem , Virginia
That must be a beast of a rivet!

Im trying to upload some pics but it keeps failing
JConsroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JConsroe View Post
The upper bracket on my Zip Dee was leaning outward and was creating a gap between the aluminum and the bracket. I took it off, removed the old vulcum, put a new layer of butyl tape on and reinstalled it. It was then I realized the gap was being caused by a stripped screw on the right side. I checked the forums and the only information I can find on this subject is folks adding another layer of metal underneath the bracket or bolting it from inside. I notice there is a dimple where a fourth screw seems like it should go. Should I drill a fourth hole where the dimple is? Use a bigger or longer screw on the stripped screw hole? Someone mentioned jb weld but I want a permanent solution. Any other ideas?

Also i noticed the protective plastic strip is peeling up and is trapping dirt. Whats the proper way to deal with this?

Thanks!!
Use the next size stainless steel screw and drill out the 4th hole
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I had the bracket come off my '89. The local dealer confirmed they just use a big pop rivet, which is what I had already done to get it mounted pending a better solution. Oversize screw didn't seem to work without enlarging the hole in the bracket. One of the screws is likely in the rib The other two are just in the skin. Drilling another hole might be necessary as a last resort, just be sure you don't over tighten the new screw.

Cause of my failure was likely the constant gusty winds in the Rio Grande Valley. Got to tie that awning down or roll it up!

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I just had to repair the mounting of the rear top bracket on my Excella. There are 2 screws that should go into the rib and the 3rd screw just hits the skin. Well on mine the skin area had been dented and repaired, right at the vertical skin seam near the bracket mount. Well when they re-riveted the seam, they did a crappy job. Poor riveting of seam, that they gooped up with silicon. When they reinstalled the awning mount they missed the rib, so all 3 scwres were just in the skin. The bracket was loose and had an ugly mess going on. I removed the offending rivets, and goop, and pop riveted the seam with Vulcum. Filed the holes from the crummy bracket mount job, will pop rivets. Placed the bracket on skin and drilled holes for the 3 screws, 2 into rib. Seeing as the rivets I used for filling the screws holes now fell under the bracket, I had to grind reliefs in the back side of bracket to get it to lie right on skin. Used a Dremmel type tool, to grind the reliefs. Then I sealed up the head of the pop rivets and screwed the bracket in place. Fits much better, and now 2 screws have good bite in the rib. Plus the seam fits together much better than before.
TOPORANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I used larger screws.
When the old screws pulled out the metal around the screws came outward shape like a cone. I used a punch to carefully flatten the metal back into place which made the stripped holes smaller
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I used oversized rivets. Local Trailer place with former AS personnel said they also use oversize rivets. Held up fine until I sold the trailer. Our cause was windy conditions in Texas.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote