Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #29
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
This is a good thread. Sorry about the damage. Made me take a look at a few of the videos...

This guy makes it look easy..

YouTube - Zip Dee Patio Awning Lubrication

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
I should have taken another picture when the fabric was out another 5 feet at the front or billowing in the wind while traveling but this was a solo trip and I had my hands full. My photos here were after winding it back in with my hands under the canister as far as I could get it before attaching the C-clamps in Barstow in a Home Depot parking lot.

If I had the time (still working full time) to make a short video while my canister spring is broken, it would show that with both wheel knobs locked over the outriggers you can easily pull the awning fabric out at the front, even with the extra security catch closed at the back. A lot of people on this thread seem to think that those knobs will keep the awning fabric canister closed. They do not if the enclosure spring fails. Adding 2 or 3 safety catches is really cheap insurance. The photos I posted yesterday also show that the one and only factory safety catch was partially deformed and on its way to failure.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #31
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Im sorry you even have to post a thread like this with a 2010 model. I work with new high end cars everyday and typically when something happens it happens right away. If a part is defective it usually will fail within a few hundred miles. I think you just had a random mechnical failure and hopefully they can fix it without anymore stress to you. There should be something thrown in for your pain and suffering.. like a free detail or sumptin.. lol

Vin

Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Just a guess

Based on my experience with the Zip Dee awning on our new 2010, I'd say the spring failed because the installer wound it up too tight during installation. That was the case with mine. When I first unfurled the awning it got away from me and slammed closed. No damage anyway. So I got a couple of guys and we unwound the spring 4 full revolutions before it would operate properly.

I've had experience with those K&E awnings on Airstreams in the late 90s. K&E quit making the brackets to fit Airstream when Airstream quit specing them.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Thank you Antique Pedaler as you made a good point. In retrospect my awnings seemed to have too much spring tension in them from day one. They were hard to extend or retract without the springs pulling like heck all the time and it made operation by one person difficult. I watched the ZipDee video and my awning could not be easily operated as in their video. Guess that factory and my dealer let it slip. That said I think that having two or three safety catches should be a slam dunk!

Airslide, After speaking with ZipDee I don't see any extra love. I'll have to pay for everything upfront (labor, parts and shipping) and then I'll go to work getting reimbursed.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #34
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyRoad View Post
... I'll have to pay for everything upfront (labor, parts and shipping) and then I'll go to work getting reimbursed.
is there some reason u r NOT taking this too an a/s dealer so THEY can handle this?

most dealer/service shops will do this stuff, and the stream should NOT be out of action for a MONTH...

also removal/mounting and everything SHELL related for the repairs should be handled by an a/s service center...

because IF there are 2ndary issues or ONgoing problems after the repairs and they've been done by a NON a/s shop...

that's a problem for sure (think LEAKS)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I agree with 2air. This would seem to be an Airstream warrenty issue. Airstream should be involved and you should not be out of pocket a penny for repairs. My experience with A/S for warrenty issues has been excellent. I suggest you give them a call before you do any repairs yourself as that could void the warrenty.

John
Old 05-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
I agree with 2air. This would seem to be an Airstream warrenty issue. Airstream should be involved and you should not be out of pocket a penny for repairs. My experience with A/S for warrenty issues has been excellent. I suggest you give them a call before you do any repairs yourself as that could void the warrenty.

John
The Airstream warranty, usually does not cover "owner errors".

Thousands upon thousands of Zip Dee awning owners, that use the center support, have never experienced any problems with it.

The bottom line is how much tension you apply to that arm. If it's proper, the arm cannot fall out, as thousands will confirm.

If anyone were to blame, I would suggest the dealer that sold the trailer, for not giving proper instructions to the buyer. Airstream has no control over that issue.

Andy
Old 05-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #37
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
...Thousands upon thousands of Zip Dee awning owners, that use the center support, have never experienced any problems with it...
wrong thread.

this 1 is about the original/new internal roller SPRING.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Livermore , California
ShinyRoad,
I'm not a well experienced Airstream Traveler but when we started RVing, I put an emergency kit together. (Not to be confused with the standard tool kit I carry.) 2 rolls of duct tape, mult. cable ties, several wire cloths hangers with a pair of dykes and pliers, a roll of visqueen plastic, several small tarps, assorted bungie cords, misc spring loaded clamps and now, thanks to your insight into something I hadn't thought of, 4 large c-clamps. Wishing you the best.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
It's a shame this happened to you and a representative from Zip Dee in this weak market blew you off, go figure, common sense anyone.

Awnings - manual or electric? I've had many motorhomes before my airstream with both manual and electric awnings. My favorite is the manual for many reasons, 1. you can determine the pitch, 2. you can secure it yourself and be sure, unless something breaks. 3. Even though I have a Carefree now without a rachet mechanism I like it. I had a Carefree electric on my 40' coach and being 13 feet up and a 5 degree pitch it was about as worthless as you know what on a boar. I extended it in Florida last year on vacation and 2/3 rds the way down it flopped open. Guess what, the end cap spun out on the rod from the motor. A technician came out 4 days later (Monday) and showed me it had been modified to a newer slip proof stlye, and even though under warranty, only 3 years old, Carefree would not pay for the repairs unless the head was replaced (5 days later due to shipping from them) They told me to go see my dealer since I opted to have the old one modified that day for $200 so I could leave and continue my vacation instead of paying another $250 to stay where I was. I already extended my stay 4 days on my nickle. So much for another manufacturer's helpfulness even under warranty. Carefree of Colorado didn't give a hoot.

Stick with Zip Dee after it's fixed to your satisfaction.
Good luck on your quest.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Glad I found this thread as we just had a major problem with our zip dee three days. ago. We have a 2009 International that we bought in Feb and the fourth time we put down the awning, well, it went down fine, but the next morning it wouldn't move! No wind that nite at all! many people in the park came to our rescue but we couldn't get the arm to release (the one that goes into itself). So we called zipdee, no help there, thus we took it apart, bought some marine grade green twine stuff and when we got to a dealer, the part was bad. BUT in order for zipdee to honor the warranty, we would have to send it back, they would look at it, then decide whether or not to honor the warranty. Took too long so we ordered new ones...they do make stainless steel ones and we ordered those. Why do things always happen the furthest from home and our dealer! I do know how disappointed you are with the zipdee and AS as a whole. So far we have have a flood (not leak) from not placing the seals properly in the storage compartments, then leaks, too many to count, then the tires had bulges and AS said they were ok, BUT Goodyear said they were bad! So we put on new tires and not at the AS expense. Yes we are getting disolussioned at best. What happened to quality control???
Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have to agree that Zip Dee is a well engineered product. I had a bit of binding recently and found that in fact like the linked youtube video, the bars need to be lubricated, which I never did. So last bind, I stopped back it down, but by then it was too late, my stabilizer horizontal bar claw had cracked and broken off.

I zip tied my zip dee bracket for transport home, and promptly called Zip Dee. Said sure we have the part it's $14. So I take my arm, damaged claw about 15 miles down to Zip Dee (great that they are right down the street). Guy I talked with on the phone saw me and said, I can help ya. Brings out the part and asks "Do you want us to install this for you into your bar assembly?" I said if you would I'd be grateful. So in less than 5 minutes, the guy comes back, with the reassembled tube and says we also replaced your spring, the old one had worn out. I asked if this would be a warranty thing and he said no it really isn't, but this one is on me.

Went home slide the bar on (after I lubricated it and the rest of the moving parts) and was up and running 100%.

I've heard rumors about customer service for both Fantastic Vent and Zip Dee. Had unreal positive exp with Fantastic Vent and this week, verified that not only is Zip Dee a great product, but the support company provides is really top notch in my book.

After this exp, I also would suggest checking your springs. The one they installed for me is far more effective than the one that I didn't replace. I may buy a new spring for the other side given my exp with the new spring.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #42
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I was standing in the showroom of our dealer today looking out to the 101 freeway and before my eyes was a fairly new airstream going southbound with a perfectly even 2-3 foot section of the awning fabric sticking straight up and the owner had no idea. The awning looked clamped down and stowed away so i would assume the spring snapped or something similiar to this thread. Crazy to see it happening. Hopefully someone had the decency to stop him down the road.

Vin