Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Zip Dee fell off!!!

Yikes!

Put the curb side awning out this AM due to the heat - trying to hold the inside temps bearable. Had the usual afternoon storms blow up due to the heat....

As I'm putting the awning arms down and rolling the main tube up... CRASH!!!

The awning center tube at the locker end came right out of the head bracket! Crashed into SilverToy at the front end.... Shocked me! Frightened the daughter, who was helping! Fortunately it was 90% rolled up when it seperated....

Looked on the Zip Dee website, and it looks like all I need is a 'new' screw to fasten the tube to the head bracket.... but I need to know if I need to add turns to the tube for proper opperation??

Glad this happened in the drive, NOT on the road, in a foreign campground, or elsewhere..... The awning did roll up somewhat 'off' but I don't think that anything is bent, or otherwise 'bollocksed'....

Am I missing anything? I'll call Zip Dee in the AM, but always prefer to know the correct questions to ask going in..... Should I use LockTight on the new screw I'll need to insert? Why shouldn't I...?

Thanks again to all, for listening, and for offering your assistance.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Zip Dee fell off!!!

Axcel just had the same thing happen to me but I was on the road from padre Island. On 285 just past Encino NM the awning just flew off! We found all the pieces and hope to find the parts to fix it at Cherokee RV. Thank God you were at home. Hope you find the reason of what happened on yours. Tamara wants a 34 ft airstream after seeing yours at cottonwood in February.
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
You can't do any better....

Greetings!

So sorry to hear of your awning troubles.... even more sorry that they happened while under way.... Did the hold downs do thier job? Hope so. Really hope the fixing, yours and mine, go well. Let me know how things progess for you... and I'll do the same here as well.

Tell Tamera, she cannot do ANY better than the big ol 34! Neither can you! If you want another look to convince you of the correctness of her choice, you better hurry.... we are leaving 7/16, for the East Coast. Unfortunetly, it will be a permanent move - but the HOUSE IS FOR SALE with LOTS of RV parking in the drive!!!!

All the best!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Certifiable

. , .
So sorry to hear of your troubles. This was mostly a tongue-in-cheek thread about loose nuts. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...uts-33661.html Some good info though about red v. blue loctite.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Saw the thread....

Don -

Did see that thread but it never occured to me that there were parts (DUH?!) that I needed to check on the Zip Dee.... Doh!

Sigh... that'll learn me.... yeah right.

Blue Loc-tite is removable, Red is considered 'permanent' - have that right?

Thanks for your thoughts....!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
There was some MOANING....

In thinking about my Zip Dee situation....

Over the last week or 2, I had deployed the awning numerous times, all while in the driveway with NO movement of TT, and on retraction there was what I can only describe as 'moaning' from the front of the awning. I attributed it to a need for lube and thought no more of it. On further investigation around the end of the tube on the ground around the front of the trailer, I found the bolt and it appears to be sheared off. No sign of the nut end....

Guess that the 'moaning' was it trying to tell me investigate. WOE to me for not heeding the siren song the bolt offered....

Lesson learned.

Hope that other can benefit from my experience.

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Axel, sorry to hear about the awning. Once you get a new nut and bolt installed you can follow these directions to set the tension on the arms.
Awnings By ZipDee

When I messed mine up last year it cost me about $200 to repair (bent arms). Sounds like you got off cheap.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez60
...We found all the pieces and hope to find the parts to fix it at Cherokee RV. ...
Cherokee closed last month. The place is totally empty. A real loss to the community.

Zep
Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Cherokee closed last month. The place is totally empty. A real loss to the community.

Zep
I was waiting to see how your dealings with Cherokee RV went. I ordered a window from them in January didn't get it for 3 months. They kept telling me they were moving and it was in the mail. Then they sent the wrong window, I have been another 3 months trying to get my money back. Jody said she would get back with me. She said they were moving down the road. So much for getting my money back.

They still have a web sight with directions to their new place. Wish someone was close enought to see if they were really there.

7102 Raleigh Street #8 Westminster, CO 80030
Raleigh is located midway between Sheridan Blvd and Federal Blvd. off of 72nd Avenue in Westminster, CO. From I-25 you can take either I-76 or I-36 to Sheridan or Federal then to 72nd Avenue. You can only turn south on Raleigh - go about 2 blocks down, past Elk Street and take your next left into a row of warehouses. Cherokee is located the furthest back #8 - you will see our sign on the fence with our yard. Come see our new warehouse!
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Zip Dee Update....

Hello all -

Just an update on the Zip Dee front....

Called ZD in Ill. - couldn't have been any nicer. Spoke to Randy in Cust. Svc. He looked SilverToy & her awning up in his book. I explained my situation. Then we did a little back and forth to be certain that we had the terminology (me) right, and that the problem was clearly understood (him).

I'm in luck - for a change!

All I need is a 10/32 x 1 1/2inch bolt & nylock hexnut. Turns out the spring is in the other end of the awning - WHHHEEEEW! WHAT a relief!.

To be clear - on my awning - curbside on a '92 34' with full length awning - the spring is in the left (as you look at it) side while the Z-lock and such is in the right side. My seperation is on the right side.

Randy explained that I should disconnect the awning arm from the bottom/ ie at the end attached to the trailer. Then deploy the awning, CAREFULLY!! With help!!! Rest it on a ladder. Re-attach the arm at the roller tube with above bolt. Re-attach the arm at the bottom of the trailer. Retract. Done.

Hope it goes as easy as it sounds like it should.

I'll report back once the work is done.

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy
Old 07-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Axel it sound simple enough, but your awning is longer then the Queen Mary .

Yes the spring load is in the rear arm, you lucked out on this also. Since the forward arm has no tension, I wonder why the bolt would break.

An alternate approach might be to remove the arm (one bolt), remove the head from the arm (one screw) and then attach the head to the roller (new nut and bolt). If you can get it together this way you can then attach the arm to the head and the arm to the trailer. Then deploy the awning once or twice to get it trackng correctly again.

I think you could do this alone, the other method would take a few more helpers.

I just don't want to see Max on top of a ladder holding an awning roll.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #12
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
This looks like it has the makings of a happy ending.

<sniff> I'm such a softie...
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
I need MORE of those!!!!

Richard & Pat -

I need more of the kinda help you guys provide.... great advice and a shoulder to lean on!!!! More of that CAN'T hurt!!!

Actaully, Richard, I NEED more helpers like Max - he is the best. AND TOUGH!!! He took a baseball right in the nose and, after a minute to catch his breath.... said, MORE!!!!! Not that working on a ZipDee will offer any hits to the nose, but still.... He "takes a lickin and keeps on tickin....." Max/Timex

Got the bolts (SS w/ SS-Nylock nuts) for a full replacement - all around the awning. Top and bottom of all arms, shafts and the like.... Getting Lok-tite in the AM - have some older stuff but guess that 'fresh' is a likely "Best solution" for this situation.

Again, thanks for the support (ZD, Richard, Pat, etal) and for the continued thoughts going forward....!!!!

ASForums ROCK!

Axel
SilverToy