Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #21
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
I've tried the swimming pool noodle, It gave me a rash on my forehead. but I was able to get around the outside supports without dongin my noggin.

Yeah.. but what color? Oh man.. all these decisions..

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
The original notches in our center rod didn't even go far enough for it to fit into the awning tube so I had to add some notches. Still, ours does the same thing even re-tensioning the center rod after it is all up and re-tensioning it is VERY difficult without a ladder and me hanging off the side of it with all my might. Is it poor design or is there something that affects its' hold over age like the center tube bowing?
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #23
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmans View Post
The original notches in our center rod didn't even go far enough for it to fit into the awning tube so I had to add some notches. Still, ours does the same thing even re-tensioning the center rod after it is all up and re-tensioning it is VERY difficult without a ladder and me hanging off the side of it with all my might. Is it poor design or is there something that affects its' hold over age like the center tube bowing?
I dont mean to hijack this thread from the original poster.. Thanks for the idea about adding additional notches. I will check into that. I wonder if the tube on my awning due to the overall length is starting to bow and allow for it to drop out? I will check that.

Thanks Vinnie

Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Hate to tell you but adding the notches doesn't seem to help them falling out. I added the notches, used a ladder and all my weight (all 120#) to pull the support as far out as I could. It was tight in the hole. Got down off the ladder. Moved the ladder and as my back was turned... SMACK! Right into the camper side. Not sure why it doesn't stay but haven't had faith to put it back in since.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #25
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Oh man... sorry Bowmans..

The sound is fresh in my memory. Thanks for the feedback.

Vin

Old 05-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #26
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
check these area's---
the teeth on the little button thingie you pull out on the awning shaft are worn down. at least mine were. disassemble the supports, pull them apart. clean them. wash out the dirt,spiders,debrie ,etc from both shafts. CHECK the teeth to make sure they have something left to them. The little button thingie NEEDS to be correctly positioned for it to work. if you use a lube that attracts dirt you will be doing this all your life.
while you're doing this maintenance you may as well do the end supports. Roll up the awning and disassemble the end support tubes, clean ALL the crap out of them and reinstall them. These awnings work great but YOU need to do the upkeep.
And yes I use my center support all the time. If you're really concerned about the support popping out you could but 2 small brass grommets in the sunbrella and loop around the support. Or not, gash your trailer, maybe something worse.
any more info will cost you

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #27
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Cool idea.. I like the support strap concept. Even a button snap might do it. Hmmm you got me thinking.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That is a great idea! Zip Dee should incorporate that in their design. I am going to try to get that set up and be able to use the center support and not have to worry about it hitting the Airstream, maybe even some velcro at several point across the length of the support. First one done post pictures please. Thanks Doorgunner. Gee I wonder what he has up his sleeve if we do pay him...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
i had a center support on my 30 ft. whe in position, it created two pool areas when it rained, even when one side was lower. this put extra weight on the awning so without the center support in use there was better drainage. there was still pooling though. at least with water on it, and the wind blew the support arm did not come loose.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #30
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
modify away

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
That is a great idea! Zip Dee should incorporate that in their design. I am going to try to get that set up and be able to use the center support and not have to worry about it hitting the Airstream, maybe even some velcro at several point across the length of the support. First one done post pictures please. Thanks Doorgunner. Gee I wonder what he has up his sleeve if we do pay him...
you are welcome. you can get the grommet kit at almost any home depot, lowe's. orchard supply etc.
I also CUT off that wind up strap thing you pull on to open the awning. I just roll it into the fabric when retracting the awning. Got tired of it flappin in the breeze. etc.
I've never had a drainage issue. when it rains I lower one end noticably.
DG
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Zip Dee

We have a 23 foot Zip Dee awning mounted above our entry.

We installed it about 15 years ago.

It's mounted 90 degrees from the normal wind direction.

We many times each typical day, receive large gusts of wind.

We always use the "center support".

We have yet to have it fall out of place.

The key is adequate tension. If the tension is minimal, yes, the support arm will fall out.

The distance from the awning tube, to the trailer, cannot change, because of the fabric.

But, it can shake during a wind. If the arm tension is weak, the arm can and will fall out.

For those that have had that happen, you should make sure the tension is at maximum. Something that must be checked, is where the top of the arm was mounted. If improperly located, by being to high on the trailer, the tension cannot be maximized in that situation.

Zip Dee has many thousand of awnings in use. Certainly, if the "center support" was a bad idea, there would be many thousands of complaints, but they do not exist.

Checking the installion and location, of the center support top bracket, is the first step to the solution.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #32
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Good information Andy,

I also like the safety strap idea to protect my trailer from real life.. It happens.

Vin

Old 05-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
On the 2007, I have always had to work like crazy on a step stool just to be able to compress the spring even a small amount on each side. I don't think I could compress the sides the maximum amount no matter what, let alone the middle after it was raised. Does that have anything to do with the tensioning of the awning spring or do we just need some hired hands exercising it daily and 15 year old springs. Sorry I had to tease. Thanks for the knowlege of the matter. Is there anything that can be done to make that step easier? I tell you I will try the maintenence that we have seen here for lubricating the arms in the you tube video. We had used silicone but not disassembling them.

photography
Old 05-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Wheel Interested,
Zip Dee sells a handle set that attach to the brace to aid in the compression of the spring. At least that is what I believe the handles are for. Have you tried one? I wonder if that could be a help,
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I have some Liquid Wrench Dry Lube spray. I'm going to try that on the arms of the awning and other parts. Maybe it won't attract dust and dirt like some other lubricants.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Bluto, I LOVE those handle assists! I swear by them. I take them from Airstream to Airstream. That helps me raise the awning up higher. They are attached to different arms though, the lifter arms(?) It's the rafters that hold the fabric taunt after hooking to the main awning bar that I can't get much tension on. Sorry if I am not explaining that with the right terminology.

photography
Old 05-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Your doin a good job explaining, I just didn't realize what application the handles were used for. Now I know, Thanks.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
have had 3 34' all with big zip dees have never had a support fall out. the center support is the last thing I put in and I pull it tight. The aft end of the awning is in the 3rd hole the forward end is in the 4th hole. if there is going to be a rain I lower the aft end one more hole. The water runs away from the doorway and have never had excessive pooling on the awning.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
have had 3 34' all with big zip dees have never had a support fall out. the center support is the last thing I put in and I pull it tight. The aft end of the awning is in the 3rd hole the forward end is in the 4th hole. if there is going to be a rain I lower the aft end one more hole. The water runs away from the doorway and have never had excessive pooling on the awning.
Your method of extending the Zip Dee awnings, assures a long and happy life for them, and with zero damage to the trailer.

A model for others to use.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #40
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I agree - I put the center pole up last, and use two hands to "push" the spring taut (facing away from the trailer, so I can put some oomph into it). And always tilt the awning so that pooling is not possible.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote