Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #1

ZIP DEE awning questions

Have an 84 34' limited. Getting it ready to sell. Just bought it, but now sister can't use it. Never had the awning out and don't have any manuals. Found some directions but not sure about certian steps. 'Turn the clamp wheel conterclockwise and swing the assambly toward the center to free the hard ware......also can't find the centerstrap they indicate to pull?????? I am sure I'll figure it out, but any help would be appreciated..........

jmac
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
ZipDee is great. If you go to their web site, they have a full set of instructions for setting it up, taking it down, repair, and so on. I printed them off and filed them in our AS manual.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 05:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool same as...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac
Have an 84 34' limited. Getting it ready to sell. Just bought it, but now sister can't use it. Never had the awning out and don't have any manuals. Found some directions but not sure about certian steps. 'Turn the clamp wheel conterclockwise and swing the assambly toward the center to free the hard ware......also can't find the centerstrap they indicate to pull?????? I am sure I'll figure it out, but any help would be appreciated..........

jmac
jmac,
The clampwheels are located on each end of the main awning..You just need to loosen them enough to drop over to the side..
It could be that your centerstrap was caught up inside the fabric roll..You might try a step platform to ease the awning open to fish out the strap..
You should find it there still, assuming it wasn't torn off.
Once you find it, have someone hold onto it while you're extending the end arms. Be careful of hand placement while doing this as it HURTS like H**L if the arm slips back in on you. (grab onto the upper curve part while extending)
One final note..
You may find it tough at first to extend due to the lack of use..There can be alot of crud buildup on the inner surface of each bracket. This would be a good time to really clean this part with a rag of sorts.
Good luck..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
1. Loosen the two screw wheels one at each end of the awning.
2. Pull down the locking mechanism at the front end of the awning.
3. Use your awning tool, the 1/4" aluminun rod with a 90% offset at one end and a curved handle at the other, and hook into your pull strap and pull out.
4. Obviously you haven't found this strap, so go to each end of the awning, two people.
5. Pull down on the awning support, as close to the upper end and as possible, this should unroll the awning.
6. With the awning extended go to the middle and put in the middle support.
7. There is a hole in the awning roll for this support. Put it into the hole and push outward with as much force as you can exert. You should feel it extend and hear it lock into place. Notice the small knurled button on the bottom of the support this is the release and will be on the end supports as well.
8. Go to the end support and place the free support over the rod at the end of the awning tube. Extend this arm the same way you did the middle support.
9. Rasise the support to full extention by pulling the release button and pushing upwards and outward.
10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 at the opposite end only do not fully extend. I leave at least on stop short of full extension just in case of rain.
Putting the awning away is a reverse of this procedure step by step
Hope this helps.
It sounds involved but should take, once used to the procedure, about 2-5 minutes to complete.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Ok Now how does one go about opening a window awning by Zip dee? I recently bought a used AS and it has two awnings one on each side.. The patio awning was pretty much self explantory..But the street side awning has duct tape involved.. what from factory is supposed to hold the awning rolled up? I think I might be missing some hardware.. but unable to find close up photos to see what exactly is either mising or defunct
Ericjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericjeeper
Ok Now how does one go about opening a window awning by Zip dee? I recently bought a used AS and it has two awnings one on each side.. The patio awning was pretty much self explantory..But the street side awning has duct tape involved.. what from factory is supposed to hold the awning rolled up? I think I might be missing some hardware.. but unable to find close up photos to see what exactly is either mising or defunct
The awning should be spring loaded. A pull strap, like the other side, is pulled and you should have a cleat on the side of the trailer it hooks on to. Could it be that the spring is broken and the awning is duct taped to keep it from unrolling?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

it could be any number of things.. I can not see anything that would act as a retainer to hold it stowed. I have not cut the duct tape as it is back to cold weather here in Indiana. Maybe tomorrow it will hit 70 again.. Who knows. Thanks for the reply.
I am unable to post only to do a quick reply.. so I highjacked this thread.. sorry
Old 02-20-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
it could be any number of things.. I can not see anything that would act as a retainer to hold it stowed. I have not cut the duct tape as it is back to cold weather here in Indiana. Maybe tomorrow it will hit 70 again.. Who knows. Thanks for the reply.
I am unable to post only to do a quick reply.. so I highjacked this thread.. sorry
No problem. There is nothing to retain the streetside awning, only strong springs. You really have to tug on the strap to pull the awning out and heaven help you if it slips out of your hand.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 02-21-2005, 08:53 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
Question Nervous

Ok, I have read the posts on the procedure to open my awning......but.....can one person do this without getting caught in anything and hanging there for life?
I have seen others struggle with this, and that was two people, but I am just One.
When I pull the middle part out and secure it, then is it ok to hold on to it and walk over to one end and secure that end first?If I have not learned how to do this alone, then during our Rally in GA I might try and talk someone into helping me with this process. Until then I will be awning-less
tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Middle brace

I seldom use the middle brace unless there is wind or possible rain. When I do use it, I set it after the rest of the awning is erected. When putting up the awning alone, it is very awkward to try to set the middle brace before the awning is fully erected.

To answer the last post, I pull the awning out fully and simply move to one end while keeping a hand on the awning to prevent it from retracting. This is not difficult as there is little spring tension trying to roll it up. When at the end, it is easy to detach the upper arm and hook it over the axle. With that arm in place, the awning will not retract and I can move to the other end without even keeping a hand on the awning and hook that end.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
ZIP DEE awning questions

Greeting tnsue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsue
Ok, I have read the posts on the procedure to open my awning......but.....can one person do this without getting caught in anything and hanging there for life?
I have seen others struggle with this, and that was two people, but I am just One.
When I pull the middle part out and secure it, then is it ok to hold on to it and walk over to one end and secure that end first?If I have not learned how to do this alone, then during our Rally in GA I might try and talk someone into helping me with this process. Until then I will be awning-less
As a Free Wheeler, I have always operated my ZipDee awnings solo without incident. My coach is a bit smaller than yours - - 26' 8" compared to your 28' (my Minuet doesn't have its ZipDee awnings -- yet). I typically release each of the lock wheels (I don't have the patience to use the "long-reach" handle so use a three-step mini-stepladder to release the catches), then open the awning to "Rally" position starting with front then rear - - repeating the process to take the awning to full extension. My awning didn't come with a center bow so cannot coment on where that would come into play. The ZipDee is remarkably easy to operate in comparison to its predecessor - - an A & E Travel Awn 5000.

You will likely find a Free Wheeler at your next big rally who will likely be able to give you some first-hand encouragement - - I know that it helped tremendously with my ZipDee during its first deployment.

Good luck with your awning deployment!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Zip Dee

Thank you John and Kevin for your help.

I did not realize it was not necessary to engage the middle support first. So, I will do as you suggest, pull it down and then hold on while walking over to one edge and hooking the arm over the axle.

If it ever stops raining here in beautiful sunny southern California I will practice doing as suggested.

TNSue
Old 02-25-2005, 05:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
California?

Sue,
I thought you were in Palm Springs, FL. for awhile?

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 02-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
No, no........Palm Springs, CA, you know the place that is in southern CA?

Really in a RV park in Indio, CA, just east of Palm Springs, California.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Now I feel really stupid! Palm Springs! I was thinking palm trees on the coast and automatically thought Florida. What an idiot. Johnhd, hand me another beer.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 02-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Pictures on the web...

Zip Dee has a great web site, with user operating instructions, parts lists, etc.... For complete operational guide to curved (Airstream..) Zip Dee awnings, look at web site:
http://www.zipdeeinc.com/CurvedAwnOp.html

It really is pretty easy to operate alone, but small stool and direct reach is much better than using long metal wand thingie...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Unhappy

Thank you John for the link................I will check it out and get more info to use.

I know it can be done by one person but guess I am a bit spooked, hate to look like a fool when the whole thing decides to roll up with me hanging on.

TNSue
Old 02-26-2005, 12:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Same problem

Quote:
Ericjeeper,
I had the same problem with one of my side window awning and, after ordering the new parts, etc..This is what I FOUND upon taking it apart..
As mention before, there is a spring inside that is clipped to a very soft metal pin to retain it. On mine, the spring had just slipped off the tip of the retainer..I could've just replaced that but, since I had the new parts, elected to go with replacing it with the new part..
The biggest thing is to take your time and after getting it all back together was "charging" the spring. Just be sure you don't let it didn't slip and kick you in the face...lol
Good luck~
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:28 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

So I am assuming, (you know what that usually means) That I should drill out the rivets on the end of the drum and slip the end pieces out and see if maybe something has not simply come apart inside? I rolled the awning out yesterday took each arm loose from the unit..Found no spring tension on either end.. tried to wind the arms.. Seem attached to nothing on the inside. no resistance in either direction... Before I spend any money on repair parts? Maybe mine too has simply came loose on the inside.. Will each end have a spring inside?> Or just the lefthand (front)? Thanks
Old 02-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Check Zip Dee for repaits/adjustment

The same Zip Dee website has detailed instructions on how to adjust spring tension of main awning, and window awnings are similar in being wound from left end.. There is also a page for repairs and parts..

If all else fails, they are great at repairs from factory, and it is pretty easy to box up and ship window awning to them in Chicago for repairs. If you're anywhere near that area, they also make appointments for repais in their service and install shop..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote