Old 06-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Zip Dee Awning... Protocol avoiding Disaster

These points are among some everyone needs to be aware. This includes the WBCCI and Boondocker trailer owners of any brand. Part of this post was among another Thread, but I should have saved myself some criticism and started a Thread on my own. If YOU find this offensive... good. You might have saved your awning if you consider each point.

Common Sense is not common, nor gifted to everyone. For 'Boondockers', substitute any term you like that fits your use and maintenance of your trailer.

Boondockers understand that having an extended awning comes with caveats.

-Wind. The awning is not designed to handle gusts nor steady winds. Adjust for the conditions. Your support rods can bend and be damaged.

-Rain. You need common Boondocking understanding to have your door entry awning set higher than the opposite end. This way the water does not pool, but runs off and away from your doorway. Pooling water on your awning WILL be fatal...

-Snow. Do not even have your awning extended as it will fail.

-Sunshine. When NOT in your trailer, lower your awning to the lowest setting to avoid all of the above.

-Evenings. It is best to roll your awning up. Unless you can predict the above conditions with a magic ball, it is 100% effective. If it is raining and you are in a sheltered area, secure the ends with some weight. Some disagree with that option, but that is their choice. Not mine.

-Experience. It is best that you and I learn from the misfortunes of others. This is a continuing learning experience. It is not by accident that the longer you own a trailer with an awning... you just might be able to help those in need of advice. It may not be well taken... but neither is forgetting to secure your hitch to the tow vehicle properly on that foggy drizzly morning vacation!

It is disappointing that you learned the hard way, but not the first. Be prepared to use common sense in the use of your awning. No Airstream Owner's manual will discuss these caveats for your awning's use and under what conditions.

I am sure you will be more careful in the future. It was not the failure of the awning, but your failure to apply common sense under possible conditions of use. This is intended to 'educate' those following your disaster, so others can learn.
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote