Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
Zip Dee Awning Main Arm clarification

Hey all,

sorry to post this possibly dumb/obvious question, but I've searched and I can't seem to scare up the correct answer.

My *Main Arm* at the *Rear* of my Zip Dee awning on my 2013 Airstream is suddenly difficult to open and close. I called Zip Dee and they figure its slightly bent, and that I should attempt a fix rather than replace.

they pointed me to this video:

and I also reviewd this video:

of course, the video refers to the Main Arm at the *Front* of the Airstream, which isn't under any tension.

After reviewing the manual and forums here - it isnt' clear to me whether I can unbolt and remove the Main Arm from the Rear *while* the Awning is rolled up without damage or concern for the tension.

Do I need to extend the awning, remove any tension from the spring arm, and THEN remove the main arm? or can I leave the awning up and in place [closed] and remove it as simply as the front main arm is removed?

thanks for any clarification! I have this vision of unbolting the main arm at the bottom and the thing suddenly spinning around and smashing into the AS!

cb
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Use great caution, that rear arm can instantly become an arm-breaking, face smashing device.
Unwinding the spring is best accomplished by two men, one with good upper-body strength.
Best to find a helper who has done this before.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
I suggest you call Zip Dee and talk to them, as mentioned this is a coiled bomb that could cause serious damage to you and your trailer if not done correctly.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote