Old 09-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Mine rubs on 4th notch on one side and 3rd in the other - I'm still figuring out how I wanna go about fixing that

Door roller vs something g to prop up between the gutter above the door frame and the base if the awning

Or ask dealer to correct under warranty - not sure what they would do

I like the 3 step ladder idea for getting into my truck - and for the awning

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hmmmm, we should have the same body shell and awning. Are you sure you are getting the horizontal arm pulled all the way out with full spring tension on the fabric on both ends? Mine won't rub unless I am in the fourth notch on the door end and the SECOND notch on the aft end. But if there is sag in the fabric it will on 4 and 3 combo.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Pharm - are you raising the awning to the 4th hole on the side closest to your door? I thought I was going to need the roller you're talking about until I realized I had one more notch on that arm. It made all the difference an the door clears it perfectly. I go to the 3rd notch on the other arm for drainage.

If you're going to the max near the door, I would call the dealer for a warranty repair. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
No sag - very taught .....and if both on 4th - a
It just barely misses touching

I'll try again tomorrow - maybe I am missing something still

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Pharm - are you raising the awning to the 4th hole on the side closest to your door? I thought I was going to need the roller you're talking about until I realized I had one more notch on that arm. It made all the difference an the door clears it perfectly. I go to the 3rd notch on the other arm for drainage.

If you're going to the max near the door, I would call the dealer for a warranty repair. Good luck!

Yup - 4th in the front - 3rd in the back for drainage

Old 09-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, maybe the hand roller wheel upper mounts are affixed a bit too low. That would be an ugly repair. I'd probably go with the door roller instead if that's the case.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Well, maybe the hand roller wheel upper mounts are affixed a bit too low. That would be an ugly repair. I'd probably go with the door roller instead if that's the case.
Door roller is certainly a good option, but I'd definitely register it as a warranty item and see what they're willing to do about it. That's just me. And believe me - I work well with the dealer and the factory so long as they're willing to work with me. If they said replacing it would risk damage to the trailer and the door roller would accomplish the same result - I'd be ok with that. I just think they should offer a solution first.

Everyone's mileage varies :-)
Old 09-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
That's my plan - thanks

Old 09-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Good luck - keep us posted!
Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I would go to dealer first. I'm thinking it can be adjusted in some way so hopefully that's all that is needed. 4 in front and 3 rear should do it without rubbing.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Just buy the handles !!!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Or not !! Your choice as the one that has to write the check.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I know we've got a couple of discussions going on simultaneously here...

PharmGeek, just to confirm what others have said, I do not get any awning rubbing on the door when the poles are in the 4 hole/3 hole configuration (with 4 by the door.) If you are getting some dragging in that configuration, then I would speak with your dealer. ZipDee does make a middle arm that is intended to help minimize dragging on longer/older awnings. Yours is new enough that it shouldn't need this, however.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Middle arm deployed - still rubs when in 4/3 combo - i believe my dealer was alerted along with other issues and those will be addressed - I will drop off the trailer perhaps some time after thanksgiving for any and all repairs and this I hope will be addressed

I have almost no trouble deploying the awning - I like the handles - and I simply cannot explain why I find that 40 dollar purchase impossible to make - I may ask for a pair from family as Christmas gift

Old 09-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Five Gallon Plastic Bucket option

You are making too big an issue out of a simple problem.

When you use the first or second notch... it is when you are not in the trailer and use it for shading the side. You cannot squeeze into the trailer no matter how thin you are, or have become overnight.

The third... When you begin to open the door, push up with your hand the awning and swing the door outward.

The fourth... you are home free and can freely enter and exit without fraying the threads on the stitching of the awning.

Sometimes we would have the awning at the fourth notch on the door side and the other at three. Especially smart when it is raining. It takes the water from the awning and runs it to the opposite side of the trailer.

This has been discussed often enough on the Forum. I heard of ways to work around this, but none were as simple as using your hand, a baseball bat or the bottom of a beer bottle. They all will work. After 8 years and running... this is just something that you just adapt.

You will still find the arc of the door on the awning. Just be careful not to "dismember" the seam threading. Kids do not care what notch the awning is set... so watch them. They are you in miniature.

Do the four notch/three notch for less awning arcing.

When it is windy, take the awning down, or you will be buying rods from Zip Dee. The crab claw will break and the rod will put a dent into your trailer. The awning is for a full hot sun and NO WIND. I have seen what people have done to theirs and learned the hard way.

At three notches we can squeeze around and into the trailer... with effort. Good exercise at the worst. Just a fact of living a "curved world in a square world" trailer. I bet only Airstream owners have this issue. Some big white box on axles do not have this problem. Just one of the costs for being curvy and nimble at the same time!

Oh. The five gallon bucket title... that will have to be posted somewhere else. I misread the thread as to reaching up to secure the awning. Beats me how to change my title.