Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #29
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
That's the same with the pop out screen on the Fantastic Fan—make something with an obvious problem, then sell another thing to the unwary consumer. That reminds me—I have to contact FF because the gears on the cover aren't meshing correctly and it won't close electrically.

Gene
__________________

__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,408
Images: 5
Gene, I noticed on the new AS my brother in law just got, that the FFs now have the Pop-A-Screen standard. At least on AS factory installations.

Relative to the handles posted above. I have a pair and took them off. I found they didn't grip well enough, especially after siliconing the tubes. I prefer a small step stool, when necessary, one hand on the latch knob and one hand pushing up on the ROLLER in the fabric area, as shown in the YouTube videos. That way your angle of push is correct and your hands are away from any pinch points. Just my preference.
__________________

__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #31
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
That's the same with the pop out screen on the Fantastic Fan—make something with an obvious problem, then sell another thing to the unwary consumer. That reminds me—I have to contact FF because the gears on the cover aren't meshing correctly and it won't close electrically.

Gene
Gene,

Theres a roll pin that holds the lift arm in position, I'll bet it's worked it's way out, happened to ours. Campground fix with a small machine screw, lockwasher and nut. Was going to contact FF but forgot,, three years and still good.

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #32
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
Thanks Bob, but it works manually and the motor will put it up and not down (except sometimes, rarely) so I think there's something else going on in the gear box. I think the gears don't mesh properly for down, though I don't know why. I might take it apart to see how it works, or I may just ask FF.

dzn', I have learned to leave the awning mechanics to Barb and be the dumb guy with muscles to help her. She thought the handles were too expensive too (something like $30) for the number of times we use it. Glad to hear they didn't work for you because that saved me money just in case we decided to buy them. That didn't come out right—not glad you wasted the money, thank you for sharing….

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #33
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,408
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Thanks Bob, but it works manually and the motor will put it up and not down (except sometimes, rarely) so I think there's something else going on in the gear box. I think the gears don't mesh properly for down, though I don't know why. I might take it apart to see how it works, or I may just ask FF.

dzn', I have learned to leave the awning mechanics to Barb and be the dumb guy with muscles to help her. She thought the handles were too expensive too (something like $30) for the number of times we use it. Glad to hear they didn't work for you because that saved me money just in case we decided to buy them. That didn't come out right—not glad you wasted the money, thank you for sharing….

Gene
I'll sell you mine for $20. See, I can save you $10!
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #34
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I'll sell you mine for $20. See, I can save you $10!
I know, shipping and handling will be $19.95, just like those TV offers.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,408
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I know, shipping and handling will be $19.95, just like those TV offers.

Gene
"Operators are standing by....."
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #36
Rivet Master
 
danlehosky's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 780
Gene, have you started the pleadings yet?

Dan
__________________
TAC
Hope is not a plan.
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Gent's.........They do werk.

Bob
Would these be called the zip de dodahs ?
I couldn't resist ... roflmao
We shall seek them out for purchase.
__________________
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #38
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,283
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Would these be called the zip de dodahs ?
I couldn't resist ... roflmao
.
Got them on tody and the handles are great especially when the tubes arlubed and slippery!
__________________
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member
 
Roblin , MB.
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 113
We have a 1974 31' International with full length Zip Dee awning in excellent condition. I have noticed in pictures of several other coaches of similar length and vintage as ours that there is a centre "rafter" installed. Our '74 does not have this centre "rafter" and there is no evidence that one was ever installed. Would this have been an optioanal add on accessory from Zip Dee or? Would I be correct to assume that the purpose of this centre "rafter" would be to afford additional support?
__________________
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #40
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairnchyz View Post
We have a 1974 31' International with full length Zip Dee awning in excellent condition. I have noticed in pictures of several other coaches of similar length and vintage as ours that there is a centre "rafter" installed. Our '74 does not have this centre "rafter" and there is no evidence that one was ever installed. Would this have been an optioanal add on accessory from Zip Dee or? Would I be correct to assume that the purpose of this centre "rafter" would be to afford additional support?
Yep...on our 25' it helps support the awning high enough so the entrance door does not rub the fabric when opened/closed.

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member
 
PhilipKS's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 319
Hey all! Can anyone say how much wind is too much? I am too paranoid to use the big awning on my 34 if the wind is more than 10-12 mph. Does anyone have a rule of thumb to go by?

Thanks!

Happy Streamin'...

Philip
__________________
AIR 57698, TAC NM-9. http://www.flickr.com/photos/philipks/
PhilipKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #42
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,648
Wind does not bother mine as much when it is in the highest position where it is almost parallel to the ground. I would take it down if the wind got any higher than 15MPH mainly because of the strain it puts on the mounts that frequently rip loose from the trailer. Also rivets on the mounting rail work loose over time.

Perry
__________________

__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.