Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Zip Dee Awning Adjustment

This is my first Zip Dee awning and I need some advice on how to adjust the arms that lock the awning into position.
When I extend the awning and try to lock the arms in position to hold the awning fully extended, they are 2 to 4 inches too long when locked. Try as I might, I cannot get the arms to lock in a shorter position or extend the awning long enough so that I can put the arms around the roller when the arms are locked in position.
What am I doing wrong?
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Here's some instructions from Zip Dee's website. This is for the curved arm awning, which is the kind on my Airstream. There's another page of instructions for a straight arm awning if you have that kind.

If neither one of these pages answers your questions, call Zip Dee at the toll free customer service number shown on their website. If you have to call them, prepare in advance by familiarizing yourself with their terminology for the various component parts of your awning, also shown on their website.

One of these will surely get you the answers your need.

John

http://www.zipdeeinc.com/RV%20Produc...-operatio.html
Old 04-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Thank's Flyfisher,
Your reply was helpful. What I am trying to say in Zip Dee speak is that my rafter won't click and lock in place. When it locks, the rafter is 2" to 4" too long. I will write Zip Dee and ask them how to adjust and post the result in case anyone has the same problem.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
_

. , .
handn

i suggest just calling the 1 800 number for zip dee.....they are very customer friendly.

here are 3 suggestions.....please look at the parts list while trying.
perhaps you've already tired these things......
1. pull on the rachet stud (spring loaded) and try to push the claw bar assembly further into the rafter arm tube
2.try pulling/extending the main arm bar out of the main arm tube until the first click....the rafter claw should fit now. the main bar may have slide too far into the main arm tube, but regardless, extending it is a work around that should make the rafters functional for now.
3. dissassemble the rafter arm tube assembly and measure the compression spring......reads like you need the 4.25 and may have the 6.75

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 05:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
2023 GT we just got. Fully inspected by 5* AS dealer. I'm just working through the issues . Nothing major, it's very nice.

Have this problem with the Zip Dee. The one corner slumps then starts bunching up. Quick tug on the arm it's back in play but... it's not right. What's the best way to adjust?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ZNEOU...?feature=share
FMSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:41 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
2023 27' Globetrotter
Sproat Lake , British Columbia
Called Zip Dee - said to replace hose-type springs with an actual lift off spring part #201240
FMSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 06:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
This is my first Zip Dee awning and I need some advice on how to adjust the arms that lock the awning into position.
When I extend the awning and try to lock the arms in position to hold the awning fully extended, they are 2 to 4 inches too long when locked. Try as I might, I cannot get the arms to lock in a shorter position or extend the awning long enough so that I can put the arms around the roller when the arms are locked in position.
What am I doing wrong?
From 3:58 in the video talk me thru what is happening with your awning.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote