Old 01-30-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Zip Dee Awning

We have a 66 Safari & we're finnaly going to get a ZIP DEE Awning , how do I go about getting one from the factory..installed?

Old 01-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you have the Zip Dee already, great, if not you can pick one up from Zip Dee. They are right down the street from us in Elk Grove Village.

To be honest about install, I'd only trust a handful of places to actually install it. Ace Fogdall comes to mind, as does the factory itself.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Local Installer

I think I may have posted about them before but when I was in a bind Earhardts Trailers in Des Plaines came thru for me. We were only hours from leaving and I really wanted the awning on. The service person met me there at 10 pm and stayed to help me install the awning. I can't say enough about their service or dedication. Their number is 847-437-3421. I hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

There are Zip Dee distributors all over the nation. Call them at 800 338-BEST and they will recommend one in your area.

They have a website at www.ZipDeeInc.com
Old 03-08-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Andy(Inland RV) what do you charge for shipping on an awning?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I have installed every one of my ZipDee awn ings myself.
I usually have to enlist the support of my brother. I have found that the wife is "awning deficient".
It is pretty easy to do but you do have to know where to mount it.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
1951 Flying Cloud Zip Dee Awning

Sadly Zip Dee does not appear to have an email address, they are only open Mon to Fri, and their voicemail box does not accept messages. I'm trying to find out what awning will fit my 1951 Flying Cloud 21', or to find out where the closest dealer is to Vancouver, BC, Canada.

One local shop is recommending an A&E awning - my past experience with this brand has been fine on regular trailers but I'm not sure I want to spend the bucks to find out I bought second best. I have a roll up awning now that came with the unit, my preference would be something that's not too obtrusive, but with the ease of the permanently attached units. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 04-09-2005, 11:26 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
You don't have to order it though Andy. I have been to the Factory in Elk Grove Village to get pricing they were very helpful. Now I just need to come up with cash to buy one. You can buy direct from them or you can use one of the local dealer. For a local Dealer I recommend Earhardts Trailers in Des Plaines. They are great people. I just wished they would sell Airstreams.

Chris
Old 04-10-2005, 03:13 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I ordered replacement fabric for my Zip-Dee's directly from the factory by telephone last year. They have very helpful and knowledgeable staff who helped me through the process. I chose the route of just replacing fabric and leaving the hardware, so the awning sheets fit into a standard UPS box and arrived within days. I'm not sure how they would be shipped if you needed the awning tubes and arms. I'm not the most mechanically talented person around and I didn't have much trouble at all. To me, it would seem the hardest part would be putting the arms on the trailer. I haven't done that part before. Getting the awning threaded onto the metal part was the hardest part of the process for me. They sell a tool that helps you crimp and uncrimp the channel. I kicked myself for not asking for one with my order!
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
ZipDee Awning

Greetings Barry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Sadly Zip Dee does not appear to have an email address, they are only open Mon to Fri, and their voicemail box does not accept messages. I'm trying to find out what awning will fit my 1951 Flying Cloud 21', or to find out where the closest dealer is to Vancouver, BC, Canada.

One local shop is recommending an A&E awning - my past experience with this brand has been fine on regular trailers but I'm not sure I want to spend the bucks to find out I bought second best. I have a roll up awning now that came with the unit, my preference would be something that's not too obtrusive, but with the ease of the permanently attached units. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Barry
Have you tried contacting the Airstream dealer in Langely?

TRAVELAND LEISURE VEHICLES, LTD.
20529 #10 Hwy (Langley By-Pass)
Langley
BC, V3A 5E8
Canada

While not all Airstream dealers are Vintage friendly, many are and most are installation and repair centers for ZipDee awnings. My regular Airstream dealer, Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa handled the installations (two window and a patio awning) on my Overlander and will install new ZipDees on my Minuet when the budget allows.

While not a particularly fast method, a "snail mail" to ZipDee, Inc. would be responded to, or another option that MAY work would be to e-mail your question to webmaster@zipdeeinc.com (I have used this technique on several ocassions when an e-mail address wasn't published on a website -- it has worked a little more than half of the times that I have tried with other organizations).

My advice would be to steer clear of A & E systems as they offer relatively ineffective customer support for their products on Vintage Airstreams. My Overlander had an original A & E Systems Travel Awn 5000 and after spending more than half the price of a new ZipDee on repairs/restoration -- the A & E awning still wasn't reliably functional so I ended up replacing it with a ZipDee. In fact, the factory representative basically told me that the factory wasn't interested in producing the awning arms with the proper curvature for our Vintage coaches.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Many thanks for the info Kevin. I have a tough work schedule so breaking away at all during the work day is virtually impossible most of the time. The internet, and companies with email that I can contact after hours, has been a boon to my car and trailer restoration hobby.

I have been into the Traveland in Langley, the three times I've visited them (including last Saturday) and they hear vintage they suggest I try outlets who focus on older units. Too bad, I try to support local businesses when I can.

I will try the suggestions you make Kevin. I do have a roll up awning that came with the trailer I can use for the early part of the summer, but I do live in what is considered the rain-belt and putting up and taking down an awning in a down pour is never a fun option.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Barry
Old 04-12-2005, 09:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
I managed to work it out so I could call Zipdee today before my work day began, given they are east of us and time zone worked in my favour. Unfortunately neither of the two folks I spoke with have any knowledge of what hardware a 1951 Airstream Flying Cloud would use. Anyone with a '51 to '53 Flying Cloud have a Zipdee awning that fits well that I can get the model number off of? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Barry
Old 06-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

I know this is a old thread- but my wife wanted to keep using the original awning and now that summer is here - I want the simplicity of a Dee Zee. What does a ZipDee cost for the safari?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The Awning on my 75 Trade Wind which is 3 feet longer then your safari was around $1250 4 years ago + shipping from Elk Grove Village, IL. The prices have gone up several times over the years. I also installed the awning myself which is not that difficult to do.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote