1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jump View Post
And what would ZipDee recommend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer View Post
From 45 years of sailing experience: "If you're not using it, stow it." A rule we had is if 20 minutes passes and you aren't in it, under it, on it, or through it, then stow it.
Bill
The Zip Dee rep suggested/recommended that if you're not sitting outside under the awning, enjoying the shade, or preparing to sit under the awning... then the awning needs to be stowed.

He (the rep) told me in no uncertain terms - do not leave the trailer for the day, for the afternoon, for the hour without putting the awning away. The awning is intended for use as a sunscreen, not protection from rain and wind.

The street side awning is a little different story. It can withstand quite a bit more wind but even the street side awning is not indestructible.

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"Our four awnings only go out on very calm days. I watch surrounding trees and awnings and if there is movement, we secure ours. Better safe than sorry." That's pretty much what we do. We have one large patio awning, one somewhat larger awning, and four small awnings. Two of those small awnings are under the patio awning, so we have the option of just providing shade for the windows or shade for a patio. The five small awnings have quite a angle to them when out, so rain runs off easily. The patio awning has a much shallower angle, so rain can pool on it easily. For that reason the patio awning is out only when we're home AND the forecast is severe clear. When the wind gets to about 15 mph I'll bring in the patio awning (if out). When the wind gets to about 25 mph all awnings come in.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Some folks seem to think it is something that you have to put up in order to not be banished to hell or something like that. It you are not using, it put it up. Most of the time we are in the shade anyway and don't need the thing. It is a pain to put up. If the awning is pointing down wind and it is parallel to the ground, it should not hurt it to see 15 MPH winds. The wind can excert a hugh amount of force on the supports and brackets. The brackets will work loose over time and cause leaks and other problems.

Perry
Old 02-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
When we had A&E and CareFree awnings we learned to put them in anytime there was wind enough to ruffle our hair even a little. With our 1985 23' ZIP Dee we are sitting in Alabama right now along the coast with 15 to 20 MPH winds and have it angled down on one end into the wind and no problem. ZIP Dee even says to take them in when when it gets to windy for you. Just one of the many reasons we won't ever buy another brand: these things are built to last AND they keep making any part you need for them.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Awnings in the wind

For those of us who have the power patio awning, or at least for me, I will sometimes not have it out at all. Use is only when I want to be shaded from the sun and with the stories about the power patio awning failures, I certainly do not want any extra strain on it.

The other awnings seem to be very sturdy, but once again, in a heavy storm it is always good to be a bit conservative.

Simply good judgement might be the best preventative to damage.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
2 years ago at Aluma Fandango a bunch of fellow Airstreamers had their awnings out. It was clear and sunny, when they went site seeing .

A few hours later a rain storm blew in while they were still out, fortunately for most a fellow ran from trailer to trailer retracting awnings but he couldn't get to all of them.

One Zip Dee collapsed when the roller and arms bent in half from the water on the awning, it wasn't rigged for wet weather .

Thanks to George M. Sutton RV the event sponsor, they had a tech on site and they brought a new Zip Dee from the store and installed it on site. The guy that owned it learned an expensive lesson that day and everyone else learned to put them away when not under them.

Last year Sutton's tech guy helped retract a new Zip Dee power awning that failed after 3 uses. He had to disassemble the motor from the arm, roll in the awning and reassemble so the guy could travel. I wonder if the guy went manual after that or had it replaced under warrantee.
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:44 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
My point with the Zip Dee is that they wouldn't have needed to replace the whole awning. Even for ones as old as ours Zip Dee has the parts.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 02-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We have no rules about wind speed but after 12 years (with some trial and error) we've evolved into:
  • awning rolled up overnight
  • awning rolled up when away
  • awning out only when at the campsite
  • awning rolled up as soon as the question gets asked
I can pretty much guarantee that you will find yourself moving in the same direction once you've climbed out of bed in jockey shorts to try (emphasis on the word "try") and roll up the awning at 3 in the morning in driving thunderstorm or you have to abandon your meal at the restaurant table to rush back to the campsite when the wind unexpectedly whips up. There are lots more examples ..... all of them mitigated by the practices listed above.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I think those are excellent rules! I fell into the same rules, unspoken, after seeing posts on this forum about damaged arms. I use anchors and guy rope when the awning is out, for insurance, unless I know the weather is going to be calm, even when I am just sitting under the awning.
Larry
Old 02-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Hypothetical question just to to confuse things even more. My Safari came with a ZipDee screen room that has never been installed. If it was up how would that effect the requirements (wind speed etc.) for rolling the awning up? It just seems like putting the screen room up and taking it down is not as quick and easy a process as ZipDee advertises. Bug season is approaching so just trying to decide if it is really worth all the effort.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
The awning on our Sport is my least favorite feature. We may go for months and not deploy it. Bottom line is that if I am not in sight of it, I put it away.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Hypothetical question just to to confuse things even more. My Safari came with a ZipDee screen room that has never been installed. If it was up how would that effect the requirements (wind speed etc.) for rolling the awning up? It just seems like putting the screen room up and taking it down is not as quick and easy a process as ZipDee advertises. Bug season is approaching so just trying to decide if it is really worth all the effort.
It would mitigate the wind some BUT rain is another story.
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
We got woken up by a Tornado in the middle of the night with the awning out. It was only a Class 0 Tornado. Somewhere at around 80 mph winds the awning struts failed and the awning rolled itself up. The only damage was the struts and the strut attachments to the trailer skin. I'm sure the awning will withstand 40 mph easily.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I was always more worried about the tremendous strain put on the roof and sidewall areas of the RV than the potential damage to the fabric and struts.