Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What are the secondary arms for

My main awning has the two main poles that attach to the awning and there are two secondary poles that just sit there and there are no detents in the sliders. I checked last night when I put the things up. No matter how far you extend the secondary poles there are no detents. In order for these poles to have any structural affect they need to lock. So did the morons that installed the awning forget the put detents in the rods or what? The same goes for the center pole.

Perry

Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Is it a Zip-Dee? Our main arms have lock knobs that control a pin that goes in holes for the extension. Same thing on the secondary arms. There is supposed to be a spring loaded pin that locks into holes to hold the arm extended. Also a spring loaded tensioner on the end where it hooks to the roller. Sounds like you are missing parts or it is not a Zip-Dee? I do not know how the Carefree works.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
My main awning has the two main poles that attach to the awning and there are two secondary poles that just sit there and there are no detents in the sliders. I checked last night when I put the things up. No matter how far you extend the secondary poles there are no detents. In order for these poles to have any structural affect they need to lock. So did the morons that installed the awning forget the put detents in the rods or what? The same goes for the center pole.

Perry
On mine the secondary rods have hooks at the ends to attach and support. You hook them to the ends of the roller and pull hard to lock. Don't hook them to the knobs on the primary poles, however. Is yours an original/stock Zip Dee awning?
Here's video from Zip Dee. Mine doesn't have the wheel type locks or the metal cover, but otherwise works the same.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok that explains a lot. I was putting them about half way down on the main rods where the detent mount is. My awning is fabric is going to need replacing soon. I bet these things are not cheap. Actually the fabric is not in real bad shape but the cotton thread that holds the different sections of canvas together is rotting and the seams are coming apart.

Perry
Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Ok that explains a lot. I was putting them about half way down on the main rods where the detent mount is. My awning is fabric is going to need replacing soon. I bet these things are not cheap. Actually the fabric is not in real bad shape but the cotton thread that holds the different sections of canvas together is rotting and the seams are coming apart.

Perry
Maybe you could take them to an auto upholstery shop and have them sewn back together. I used to get stuff made for my boat that way.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I will do something like that eventually. I am working on getting the leaks fixed at the moment.

Perry