Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2003, 09:27 AM   #21
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Shari, I'm flirting with the idea of a seperate screen tent rather than attaching awnings to my Caravel. No added weight on the trailer, no worry about matching appearance etc.
The tent would also hold my camping spot if I needed to move the trailer temporarily. I would of course leave a tuba on the picnic table to keep the neighboring campsites vacant.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:06 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

I have some hardware on my trailer that I suspect
has something to do with one of those kind of
awnings. What does the awning rail or pole look like?
What I have are 2 large eyes in the place where an
awning would mount. No pole though and naturally
I want an awning also.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:22 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Here's a pic of something that sounds like it was
the original equiptment. No fringe or stripes and it
does have the ropes. Looks pretty vinage though.

Heidi

www.daltonbiz.net/buyselltrade/air
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 01:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Rog ~ We have a separate canopy that we currently use...but we would like to have awnings too.

Heidi ~ Thanks for the links. That is similiar to what we are looking for...I'll add the photos to my file.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 02:28 PM   #25
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Still wondering....

If I go to the camping store and order an awning, do I need to know the size of the insert I need for the awning rail on the trailer?

What would be the size of my '71 Safari?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 03:12 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally posted by InsideOut
The other thing we are considering is...adding snaps to our window frames and having "mini-awnings" that sanp on so when the windows are own, they too have their own awnings...with scallops & fringe, of course!.

Shari
I'm making awnings for my windows. I hope to have them done in time for a trip coming up next weekend. I went to the fabric store and they pointed me to the 'duckcloth' section, where there were lots of neat stripey canvas materials. I picked one with blue and white stripes, looks like it belongs on a yacht. So, how do people attach them so they don't blow away? I'm thinking just some clips for now (like those big clips you use to hold bunches of paper together. But I'm sure those of you who have been around more than I have have seen clever ways of doing it.

I'm hoping the window awnings will help keep the trailer cooler and prevent people from running into our open, hard to see, windows.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 04:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I had those awnings on my previous Globetrotter. They were made by Zip Dee and held on with snaps over the windows and elastic bands on the lower window corners.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 04:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Our windows have frames, so we'll rivet snaps in all four corners. But I've also seen Velcro straps that wrap around the underside of the window and the elastic bands that Ken mentioned. I would think that the elastic may be affected by the sun over time and lose it's elasticity...

I guess you could sew little triangular "pockets" at the bottom edge too...then snaps at the top...

In a pinch the "clips" will work too...but I would think that would be a temporary solution...I'd be afraid that the point pressure of them may break a Corning glass window.

Whatever you decide to do, post a picture when you're done!

Shari
Old 07-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
FWIW, my awnings had 4-5 snaps across the top. My old trailer was a 63 Globe trotter that is in the vintageairstream archive - don't know if you can see the snaps or not - Its been a long time since I looked at the pictures. Anyway Zip Dee made the main awning, one that covered the side then those snap-on ones for each end. Really looked cool when all were on.

Ken J.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:14 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Ken ~

Did you have the snap on awnings on the streetside too (under the Zip Dee) or just front & back? I can't see the snaps in the archive photos...

Shari

BTW what does "FWIW" mean?
Old 07-20-2003, 07:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Great Thread!

I like the window shade idea's. We may have to do something like that.

I have been looking at some of the awnings available and one thing that gets me is most that I have found are only 8 ft out from the camper. That just doesn't seem like enough once you get a picnic table under there. No room to walk on the trailer side. No room to swing the door. In a rain the seats on the outside are likly to get wet.

I have a 11.5x11.5 cannope I use when camping with the redneck special and it is a decent size. Plenty of room to walk around the table.

I think I'll hit a couple of the boat top shops near me and see what they can do. Our existing rail is 12ft. I'd like about 12ft out from the camper. Screen room seems a hassle to me but I'll probably get a quote.

I like the strap idea where it could be rolled up and left on the camper. That would make setting up a breeze. Then just remove when the trailer is not used so that it doesn't get mildew.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:17 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Vintage Looking Awnings...

Greetings 59Toaster!

There are a number of factors that play into the size of the "automatic roll-up awnings". One of the most important is the bulk and related weight of the awning when retracted - - as the size the of the roll increases the awning arms would also be forced further into the wind currents around the trailer when being towed - - and the length of the awning arms when extended also plays a role in the maximum size of the awning. The awning also tends to be a large sail if left open during windy conditions - - and even the standard sized awning can rock the trailer in a gust of wind (not only can the awning rock the trailer - - this mostion can also loosen the awning rail creating another potential leak location) - - any larger and the effect could be even greater. It has been my experience that most awnings are not intended to be left deployed during rain storms - - they collect rain and even when one arm is lowered to facilitate run-off there is a significant danger of damage to the awning by a combination of the weight of water from a heavy downpour as well as the potential for damage from winds that often accompany a rain storm. In fact, the SunBrella fabric is not entirely water proof - - water does tend to drip through once the fabric is drenched. Typical spacing of campsites, especially for a coach used at rallys also has some influence on awning size - - at a WBCCI rally, the coaches are often parked spaced such that a standard awning can be fully opened on each coach.

There is one thing to bear in mind when considering one of the "bag-type awnings". If you intend to polish your coach, the movement of the bag while traveling down the road will abrade the finish - - and if you have the coach Plasticoated the coating will quickly be damaged by a combination of abrasion and trapped moisture. On many of the Vintage coaches, when a pole-type awning was used with the trailer, you would find two storage tubes mounted to the underbelly - - one for the poles and one for the awning fabric - - this offered a solution that avoided potential damage to the finish yet kept the awning with the trailer at all times.

Good luck with your decision process! There certainly isn't a lack of methods to approach the situation.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:20 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Shari, I know exactly what you are talking about as I plan to make one myself. I was lucky to see an original awning that did not require guy wires at a rally recently, and another that a very clever guy made of the same type. He explained how they are made. I shall try to get the picture of the original and discribe to you how to make one.

Sue
Old 07-21-2003, 08:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thank you Sue! I look forward to receiving this info...and any pictures you may have ~

Shari
Old 07-21-2003, 09:22 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Shari

FWIW = for what its worth......ya know more computer talk.....I have to admit I still cannot figure out LOL - I saw it defined a while ago, but have not got it in my head - to me its laugh out loud, but I've seen it where that does not make sense - oh well....

Anyway only the front and back had snaps - curbside and street side had an awning rail...

Ken J.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:20 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
FWIW

Thanks Ken...I knew if would make sense once you told me. LOL=Laughing Out Loud or Lots of Love depending on the context.

Shari
Old 07-21-2003, 11:30 AM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I sewed up awnings for the streetside windows last night. The fabric was about 3 inches wider than the windows, so there was a little to fold over each side. I cut it about 8 inches longer than the window, hemmed it top and bottom, and then folded the bottom so it fit tight to the window and made a pocket for the bottom of the window to slip into, and sewed that fold. The rest just hangs down like a fringe. I don't want to risk breaking the window with clips, so I'm trying to hold the edges on with just a piece of plastic tubing split lengthwise, and slid onto the edge. I've got them on now to see if they blow off. I'm pretty happy with the way they look. If I ever get a sewing machine I might do it again but make it fancier, but that was about all the hand sewing I could handle. Actually, this is the only sewing I've ever done, except occasionally putting a button back on.

Now I just need to make a small one for the kitchen window and a big one for the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awnings.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2386  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:34 AM   #38
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Stephanie,

They look great!. If you want to make them truly blow proof you might want to try some elastic and a shirt snap kit from the fabric store. Run Elastic from the top (sewn) to the bottom pocket edge and put a snap here. That way you can slip it on and snap it. If you get a big wind the material will move, elastic will strech and then it will go back into place without being able to work itself off.

Just my $.02 worth
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thumbs up 'Atta Girl!

Looks good!

Shari
Old 07-21-2003, 02:08 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Very nice, Stephanie, they look fantastic.
I did'nt need another project idea rattling around inside this head, but there ya go. Thanks for the pics.
Bob
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote