Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #43

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Well, I went to the barn and took these pictures. Yep, it has quick disconnect feet. One of the top body attaches has been weld repaired...maybe has something to do with the missing lift/lock handle and the bent arm. Anyone got a lift handle assembly? Anyother parts you see I might need?
The fabric also has a pretty nice segmented metal cover....fabric needs replacement...I hope to use Sunbrella type instead of that nasty Carefree stuff (juast a personal thing.)

RC,

I may have a lift handle assembly at the office. I'm out until Monday, but if I have one its yours.

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Great...stay in touch.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Here's a pic of my carefree. The plastic is getting a little stiff making it hard to roll up completely. The grey plastic is supposed to protect the awning. Have to get up on a ladder to roll it up and then attach the bungee cables to keep it from unrolling on the road. Thought of getting a blue cover like used on my main sail of my Hunter to wrap around the very front of the awning to keep the wind out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0690.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	109073  
Old 08-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
For what it's worth here's the Carefree manual from the 70s. I still need to find a set of the hooks that latch on the ends of the arms as they have broken off.
Does Bob do a complete install of the fabric, including rolling it up?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carefree.pdf (546.6 KB, 153 views)
Old 08-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #47
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
You should be able to get a new awning sewn up anywhere in America. Look in the yellow pages for awning, tarpaulin, or boat top makers or even auto upholstery shops. A trailer awning is actually an easy one to make compared to a boat top. It helps if the maker can look at the old one even if it is in shreds to see how it was put together.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
I have found a local...to me, North of Dallas/Fort Worth....who says he can do it easily. He has done Airstream interior work and drapes/curtains for me already. Nice work and he backs it up. Anyone need some work done I will get you his contact info.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Update!
I do not have a Carefree awning. It is obviously an A&E. Good news is that parts seem to be more available....even if it is an older one with the bent arms for Airstream/Argosy types. I hope I can polish the hardware...sucker that I am for dirty polishing work.

Marksrv.com A&E 8500 rv awning parts
Old 08-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Getting the sewing done is one thing, getting it installed and rolled up is another, pluss it has to latch so it doesn't come unrolled.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #51

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Great...stay in touch.
I have a couple of the lift handle assemblies. One of them is yours for the postage.

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1978 31' Sovereign
Akron , Indiana
AE springs for Carefree

Guys, I know this thread is really old but fingers crossed for a reply on this.
We were out with our 72 Safari this weekend and the spring snapped in the LH side of our carefree awning. Does anyone have a part number for springs or for the AE springs with modifications instructions.

Anything you can provide will be helpful.
Thanks
Dustin
Old 11-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #53
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
There is a thread on Airforums about how to install A&E Dometic ends on Carefree awning arms and tube. Those require some rework but are available and are fairly inexpensive. You could also adapt an entire A&E tube with ends.

I am looking into what it would take to put the Carefree Pioneer crank arm ends on mine. My tube is 3" and the Pioneer ends appear to be for a
3 1/2" tube, but, they aren't expensive and go over the outside so I should be able to shim them. The arm attachment is the big question. It goes over the top instead of inside the arms. I'm still studying it.

Original Vintage Carefree ends and springs are hard to find. Carefree no longer supports them and no longer makes curved arms for Airstreams. Some have found them in new old stock at dealers. The dealers I've talked to just want to sell me a new awning.

rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Carefree Awnings NOS

There are out there across the country older RV dealers (specifically small local dealers) that carried Carefree and Dometic awnings and parts that may have replacement NOS parts as well as complete tube and spring sets that have been in their stock for many years. Unless you take the time to contact them and find out what they may have those parts may stay there until the business closes or is liquidated. Then too finding someone that knows what they may have in NOS parts can be a challenge. One place that has many NOS parts is Out of Doors Mart in North Carolina. They would be a good place to start to look for the parts for your awnings. Get out there and make some calls! I found an older local RV dealer that had 2 roller tubes w/canvas fabric in their NOS parts that I picked up for $20.00 each. One of them has multi-colored stripped fabric on it as it was a Carefree Dealer Demo Awning. The color stripes on it display all the vertical color stripes and are separated by the same white stripes that were available from Carefree back in the late 60's and early 70's. They both have NOS tubes, springs and caps. They still had a NOS (tube only) last time I was there (Not sure of the length). anyone interested in the tube contact me and I will check. Also for those who have broken caps these days we have 3D printers that can reproduce the caps very accurately. So if you have an original one that can be removed to use a example it can be digitally scanned to build the new ones from. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #55

broomfield , Colorado
There used to be a bunch of manuals for the maintenance and repair of all of Carefree's awnings, even legacy ones, in the document database on www.carefreeofcolorado.com, though they did recently redesign their website so I am not 100% sure if those documents still exist there but that may be a good place to find information. I also know, from past experience, you can reach out directly to them and they are pretty good about keeping up with correspondence.