Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Vintage awnings for windows- ideas needed

I’m in the process of having a custom set of awnings made for my ’68 Trade Wind. I have opted to go with a vintage looking pole and guy wire arrangement for the main awning. I am also having individual window awnings made. I will be attaching the awnings above the window by using awning railings. The only unresolved issue is how to extend the bottoms of the individual awnings. I know one approach is to have the glass hold the awning up, but I would prefer to avoid this for a couple reasons: first, I am not excited about the weight being put on the corning windows, and second, I would like to be able to deploy the awnings while the windows are closed. So what I really need from you folks is a elegant solution to this quandary. The solution must be reasonably priced and not horribly disfiguring to the AS. Thanks.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Rodney,

Take a cue from the regular awning manufacturers: add a bracket on either side of the window and also at either end of the awning rod. Attach a short aluminum rod to hold the awning in the extended position and add a tie-down strap in the middle with just a little tension on it to hold it in place.

It's like a standard window awning, but no big roller tube or springs. It would look great and be functional as well.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Rodney,

Take a cue from the regular awning manufacturers: add a bracket on either side of the window and also at either end of the awning rod. Attach a short aluminum rod to hold the awning in the extended position and add a tie-down strap in the middle with just a little tension on it to hold it in place.

It's like a standard window awning, but no big roller tube or springs. It would look great and be functional as well.
I was thinking down those lines Lew, can you direct me toward sources for the materials?

Old 03-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Rodney,

I need more details of your proposed set-up to properly point you in the right direction. PM me if you like...............................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Rodney,

I need more details of your proposed set-up to properly point you in the right direction. PM me if you like...............................
My plans are wide open at this point, what would be helpful is knowning sources of hardware that might be useful. If I can look at what is available I think I will be more likely to come up with something that will work.