Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
64GlobeTrotter68Overlande

1964 19' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
Snohomish , Washington
Question Vintage Awning Question

Apparently the Zip Dee awning has door problems with a 64 GlobeTrotter.
So I have a question with the Vintage awning system. Does the canvas still roll up and store at the side of the AS or does it have to be installed and then removed with each use?

Newbie question
https://www.airforums.com/attachment...ic34024_12.gif
man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by man7sell View Post
Apparently the Zip Dee awning has door problems with a 64 GlobeTrotter. So I have a question with the Vintage awning system. Does the canvas still roll up and store at the side of the AS or does it have to be installed and then removed with each use? Newbie question
Hi m7s:

If you attach the bottom of the Zip Dee awning front arm installed on a 1964 Globe Trotter with a lynch pin, you can quickly and temporarily remove the bottom of the front arm and swing it out so you can fully open and secure against the Airstream the door-within-a-door on a '64 GT. That will give you ventilation through the screen on the main door, which will still be restricted to opening only 90 degrees. You can just as quickly unhitch the bottom of that front arm to close the door-within-a-door.

Otherwise, most vintage awnings will have to be put up and taken down each time you move your '64 GT. They store inside the Airstream, not on the roof side of an Airstream. Only a very few vintage awnings (none in current production, AFAIK) rolled up into their own cover, which was permanently installed on the awning rail.

Hope this helps you.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #3

1964 19' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
Snohomish , Washington
So the vintage ones have to be threaded onto the track each time, and taken down every night. I can see where the Zip Dee might be way easier. Decisions decisions.

Indecision may or may not be my problem
Old 03-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It really isn't a problem putting a vintage awning up and down...it only takes 5-10 minutes on a GT after you've done it a few times and have the hang of it - even at a new campsite. Then putting it back up each day is even easier - once you have parked and set your stakes the first time, it really is very simple. You just loosen the ropes leaving the stakes in place and pull out the awning & stow the poles. I can actually do it by myself - no problem. It does help to have a step stool/bench to reach up there - but we found this one we LOVE it's multi-functional around the campsite - it doubles as a table, bench, step stool - it's great!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
vintage awning

It's not that big a deal to put up and take down our vintage awning. Once you figure out the system it then becomes quick and easy. We usually leave ours up overnight unless it's windy. Just be sure to adjust your poles so that one end is slightly down to drain rain.

Every time we put ours up we gets compliments. They just look cool.
We got the striped fabric with the scalloped edges.

The only drawback is that we have had to be creative a couple of times because there was no ground close enough to stake the poles well - just concrete. We weighted the poles by tying the ropes to other things - such as two ends of the picnic table we were using. It really looked and worked fine.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
We had a vintage awning with our Safari. You get pretty good at putting it up & down, when you have a audience or when the wind comes up. I loved the looks of it, but we went to a Zip Dee on our Tradewind (one less thing to pack).
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1966 20' Globetrotter
johnsoncity , Tennessee
You can purcase a 12 ft awning for a pop uo trailer that stores in azippered bag on the side of your trailer. The only thing you have to pack is the poles and ropes. We have one on our 20 ft Globe Trotter. Have Fun.
donh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
It really isn't a problem putting a vintage awning up and down...it only takes 5-10 minutes on a GT after you've done it a few times and have the hang of it - even at a new campsite. Then putting it back up each day is even easier - once you have parked and set your stakes the first time, it really is very simple. You just loosen the ropes leaving the stakes in place and pull out the awning & stow the poles. I can actually do it by myself - no problem. It does help to have a step stool/bench to reach up there - but we found this one we LOVE it's multi-functional around the campsite - it doubles as a table, bench, step stool - it's great!

Shari
Ooh I like that bench/step/table! That's great

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #9

1964 19' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
Snohomish , Washington
OK the vintage is sounding better and better. So a thought, having been a long time sailor. When the wind comes up or for the night time, if ties where stiched to the end where the bolt rope is (Attchment to the AS) could these be tied up like sail gaskets? Save taking it completly off and on if staying put for a few nights. Just a thought

That handy bench/stool is a must, have to get one of those
Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
Ties might work but then you'll hear it flapping against the trailer if it's windy, but if your a sailor it might just remind you of being the boat!
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
OK the vintage is sounding better and better. So a thought, having been a long time sailor. When the wind comes up or for the night time, if ties where stiched to the end where the bolt rope is (Attchment to the AS) could these be tied up like sail gaskets? Save taking it completly off and on if staying put for a few nights. Just a thought
Yes, you could do that - but I think getting it roll-up neatly so it doesn't flap too much would be way more difficult than restringing each day...I'm thinking the flapping could wear out the awning more quickly too. One more thing, if your trailer is polished the flapping could also mar your polish job.

Quote:
That handy bench/stool is a must, have to get one of those
Yep. An absolute necessity in our book! Love it...I just love multi-purpose items when camping in our small trailer!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I think the ties are a great idea.
I just finished building the awning for my Boles Aero and will be starting on the one for the Safari next. It won't be hard to add the ties and makes a good option for when the wind might blow (but also might not), such as at night or when I'm away from the trailer.

I already sewed loops to each end of the awning at the welt that goes into the C channel. With these I can use a hook on a stick to pull the welt through the channel without having to use a stool. As soon as I get my C channel lubricated a bit it will be even easier.

My trailer isn't polished. Do you think that if I put some Nuvite on the awning and let it flap .......................................... ?????????????????
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I leave our vintage awning up at night until it gets windy. Even my 15x9 is quick to put up and even faster than a zipdee to take down. If the wind kicks up, I can have it detached from the trailer in under 30 seconds. I tend to just take it down if I'm worried about rain. It's easy enough to adjust it for drainage, but I hate having to let it dry before I can roll it up.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #14

1964 19' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
Snohomish , Washington
Went to the local RV store to see what they have in the way of vintage awnings, guy said they hadn't built them in years.......conversation went on, mentioned that maybe and awning for a pop up would work for me. He said he had just recieved a fax from the warehouse saying they had just one Carefree awning left and was on closeout because they were not going to stock them anymore.
$295 later and it arrived today

Now if it would just stop raining for a minute I could get it installed
Old 04-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #15

1964 19' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
Snohomish , Washington
Got the awning installed today between the rain showers. Slide in the groove with just a little effort (Maybe some silicon lube spray??)
The instructions say to crimp the groove ends to old it in place, however I'm going to go to the marine hardware store and buy 2 sail stops. They tighten in the groove to stop sail travel so they will do the same here and allow the whole awning to be removed and stored out of UV's harm.

This awning has posts that latch into brackets that install in the AS. The good thing is that the door side one can either clip into that bracket or extend it a little more and set it on the ground and use a guide line like a tent. This way the door can open fully.

Raining again or I would take a photo. Very pleased for $300.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
Lotus72

1970 27' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
We just purchased some new awning fabric for our 27ft 1970 Overlander. We have the awning unit off of the AS, the arms are on. This is a Carefree unit without the metal protective cover (the fabric is exposed to the air when rolled up) WHERE do we start to reattach the awning?

Do we first attach it to the airstream, THEN attempt to roll it into the spring-loaded tube? or
Do we FIRST reroll it into the spring-loaded tube and then try to attach it back to the Airstream.

We have a single rail that the fabric slides into with the plastic tubing inside of the fabric.

Any insights would be a huge help!

thanks,

Andrew & Eva
Lotus72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
Lotus72

1970 27' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
AHHH--- we just found the answers on this thread-
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...bly-57075.html

Thanks!
Lotus72 is offline   Reply With Quote