Old 08-31-2010, 04:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1976 23' Safari
Chauvin , Alberta
Vintage awning

Hey all, I have a poor mans awning, the kind with poles, rope and pegs to achor her down. I like it for the fact that it seems to survive any kind of weather I throw at it. My question is this, the youngest kid leaves the nest, next spring, so I will be camping solo, this awning is a 2 man job, along with a step ladder to get it up. Has anyone come up with a brillant way to set this thing up on your own? If its not possible, do any of my fellow western Canadians know where I might find a Zip Dee cheap? Thanks

lpatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Set up a pulley

Hi---I have rope and pole awnings for both my trailers, and find that they are awesome in all weather situations, as long as you have heavy duty springs, and heavy duty pegs!

People swear by their "zip-dees", but when we were in Nova Scotia and Cape Breton a few years back, we noticed that those folks hardly ever used them because of the wind.

I have to agree with you that setting up the awning for the overlander is a pain in the butt, unless you have two people. I had a loop sewn onto the top ends of the awning, and tie a rope to it. That way, I can stand on a step ladder, feed the awning into the rail, then get off, pull the awning along by the rope, and then repeat the process. With two people it takes about 3 minutes. By yourself, about 10-15.

I bought a small pulley a few years back, planning to attach it near the far end of the awning rail, so I could just stand on the ladder.....feed, then pull, feed, then pull, etc. I never think to install it while I am home, so it hasn't happened, but I believe that it would work very well.

I plan to take my small awning on trips when I am by myself in the big trailer, and changing campgrounds often, as that is a cinch to set up!!

pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1976 23' Safari
Chauvin , Alberta
Thanks for the idea, will have to work on this.
lpatkins is offline   Reply With Quote