Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
HotelCaliGal

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
1991 35' Airstream 350
portola valley , California
Unable to remove manual Zipdee awning

HI Fellow Airstreamers
I am unable to manually remove our manual zipdee awning on our '58 FC. Has anyone used WD 40 to remove the lstic guide that goes into the railing? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!
Thank you
Dianne
Driftin Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Not sure what you mean by "remove". Is your awning stuck and will not deploy? Do you want to remove the awning canopy? Do you want to remove the awning alumashield? Do you want to completely remove the awning, roller, arms and all mounting hardware?

Zipdee has great customer support. They can also help.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Have you relieved the pressure on the roller? That needs to be done first. You have to CAREFULLY remove the rear lower arm mount while someone holds it to keep it from spinning. Then pull the lower part of the arm off and unwind the upper part counting turns as you go. There's a tutorial on the ZipDee site.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
HotelCaliGal

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
1991 35' Airstream 350
portola valley , California
Unable to remove manual Zipdee awning

Thank you for the information. Let me be more specific. I have a 1958 FC 22'. There is no canister, alumashield, rollers or arms. I have an old airstream and this was before any of these things. So It literally has a plastic tab all along one side that you slide in a railing on the trailer and then manually put up polle and tie down ropes like on a tent
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-400.htm

The plastic piece slides into the trailer rail and then you set up outside pieces. See above link for photos. I am unable to get the plastic piece to slide out of the railing. Any ideas? Anyone have this age trailer that has ideas? Use WD40?
Thank you!
Dianne
Driftin Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Check and of awning rail for screw that holds strip in at end. There may be one at both ends. If can get vise grips on plastic spline pull hard if still can not budge spray wd40 or silicone length of rail. If cannot get vise grips on spline open up rail enough to pull spline out, then pull straight not on angle when lifted spline out of track. may take some muscle to do but it will come out this way. If still won't budge then will have to remove rail that is prob riveted or screwed on AS then pur. new awning rail then you can pop rivet on using old holes and sealing rivets and bead along top of new rail. Rails can be pur. length you need or maybe a little longer but easy to cut w/hack saw as rail is aluminum you do not need olympic rivets to rivet new railing on, they will need sealing same as pop rivets.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
OK. Now I know what you mean. I have not had one of these, but have seen them. I think they may be designed to be removed after each use.Check to see if there are any screws at either end of the awning rail holding the canopy in place. I would not use WD40 because it will stain the fabric. I think you will have better luck with silicone spray. If it is an old canopy there is a good chance the fabric is rotten and will rip, but as your link shows they are still made.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
It should slide out one way or the other. The bracket on the trailer will remain and have to be removed later. It is riveted on but the awning will slide out unless it is just stuck from being too old. Slide the awning forward or back.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote