Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Exclamation Street-Side Awning for 2007 Safari FB 25'?

Anyone been sucessful in installing a full lenth awning on the street side? Initially I was considering a 3" diam. awning installed between the rear vista windows over the lounge and the large lower windows. But the top of the FB bedroom street side window sits taller than the bottom of the vista windows in the lounge. Unlike the new international model where the rear and front windows are the same height. Is hanging a 3.0" diam awning off the the drip rails an option? Looks like the same drip rail on the existing curb side awning to me. Or is there some structural reason it should not be done? THNX.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the forums,

Sounds like you have a neat idea there. I dont see why it wouldnt work. The awnings dont know what side they are on?! Once your trailer is completely opened up with both of those awnings spread it would be one massive footprint in your campsite! I wonder if there is a picture of this somewhere out there. Others will know so it would be easier to visualize.

Good luck and post pictures if you decide to do it.

Thanks Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Talking Install guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Anyone been sucessful in installing a full lenth awning on the street side? Initially I was considering a 3" diam. awning installed between the rear vista windows over the lounge and the large lower windows. But the top of the FB bedroom street side window sits taller than the bottom of the vista windows in the lounge. Unlike the new international model where the rear and front windows are the same height. Is hanging a 3.0" diam awning off the the drip rails an option? Looks like the same drip rail on the existing curb side awning to me. Or is there some structural reason it should not be done? THNX.
Post some pictures of your rig, it will help.

The street side awning rail is lower than the drip rail. It may have to do with the width of the standard roadside zipDee awning?
Here is an install guide I wrote awhile back.
Check it out and let me know if you have any questions...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...ide-23835.html

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Anyone been sucessful in installing a full lenth awning on the street side?...
hi zapper

IF the question is "can a PATIO awning be installed on the streetside using the existing rail/channel?"

the answer is YES it can.

but OPENING it in a lot of campsites might be a problem.

MOST campgrounds and sites make ROOM on the curbside, along with space for a rug or picnic table and grill...

but on the STREETside the utility connections and trees or NEXT CAMPSITE often are just feet away...

and that steetside channel is TOO HIGH for use with the typical window sized awnings...

there are several options for short (window sized) awning on the street side.

full length or shorties for each window work fine and look good.

and some of the street side units mount UNDER the vista views but above the lower windows...

any dealer or the factory tech support line OR zipdee via their website can help U sort this out...

here are 2 threads on adding shade streetside...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f485...7fb-43356.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...ide-23835.html

one shows a real rv tech installing the shade and 1 shows an artist's way (who wuz postn faster than me) ...

and here'z a pic of another set of shades ((zoom the pic and c the windows ABOVE the roller))...

Click image for larger version

Name:	awnings.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	89309

best of luck, shade is good!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I just had a feeling pictures and previous threads would pop up.. isn't this a great place!

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Thanks to all. In fact the installation on the 2008 international 27' is exactly what I had in mind for my 25.0' 2007 Safari SE LE. However unlike the international model the Safari has its front side bay window height somewhat higher than the rear bay windows, as the vista view window in the front sits underneath and the rear the vista view windows sit above the bay windows. To make this installation work on my rig the supplied slide rail would be installed in the rear, as shown in the picture, but to remain level in the front would have to sit on the the front window rain gutter and that would not allow enough room for the awning roll. (requires at least 3.0" above). So.............I want to hang this same awning off the street-side drip rail. However, the arms on the international model appear to be straight, rather than the required curved ones for my proposed application.

Anyone know someone at Zip Dee knowlegeable enough about this subject who can be helpful? The dealer here in Phoenix insists on sending me an awning like the international installation that will not work. I have enlisted other local RV shops in my quest and have been met luke warm attitudes with dealing with Zip Dee. Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
...Anyone know someone at Zip Dee knowlegeable enough about this subject who can be helpful?...
hi zapper

use the 800 number for support on the z/d website.

http://www.zipdeeinc.com

IF u supply z/d with the 'stream model OR email a photo of the street side and window issues...

i am confident that IF a z/d solution exists, they'll be able to give it to you.

the company changed from a family owned business 2 a new owner ~3 years ago, but the tech support is still very very good.

keep in mind the time zone differences when u call...

there IS a very old thread here showing 2 patio awning mounted and open...

looks a little like a silver butterfly with striped wings...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ocean Breeze Model

The Ocean Breeze FB's have the full awning package. I suggest you look at some of those for ideas. They do use the shorties 2Air showed you in his post. As far as I can see the Safari/Flying Cloud FB SE's, CCD FB, Classic FB all have the same window arrangement.

Paula
Old 06-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Talking

Well it's done. $1,700 later I now have a street side awning installed. Whew- what a journey. Its 20 feet long and is a shorty. Winds up in a 3" diam. tube. Looks very similar to the installations on the International. Dealer did nice job. But finding one who knew what they were doing was quite a job. Will attach pics later.