Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
shortening awning width

I have a good awning from an Ambassador I want to put on my Tradewind. Has anyone any experience in shortening the roller length? I need to cut off about 3 feet. I believe it is an old, maybe original (1963) A&E or a Carefree. It does not look anything like a Zipdee.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The actual process of shortening the roller tube is no big deal, but the calculations for getting an exact fit to your trailer must be precise!!

The first measurement you need is the width for the new trailer. Look directly down from both ends of the awning rail at the ribs below and measure ACCURATELY from rivet center to rivet center. This is the center line width for the new awning.

Lay the awning out on the ground (still rolled up) and measure from the centers of the support arms that attach into the roller tube. Deduct the rivet-to-rivet dimension and you have amount that the roller tube needs to be shortened.

Then unroll the awning, remove the fabric, springs inside the roller tube and the arms. Use a chop saw with a carbide blade to cut the roller to it's new length. You will then have to get the fabric (if it is still useable) trimmed by the same amount you took off the roller.

When it's back from the canvas shop, re-assemble everything, re-wind the springs and bolt that sucker to your trailer.

Sounds easy......NO?

Actually, cutting is the easy part. It's getting everything set for the re-assembly that takes the time. If you've never installed an awning, be ready for a full day....with 1-2 helpers!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Use a chop saw with a carbide blade to cut the roller to it's new length. You will then have to get the fabric (if it is still useable) trimmed by the same amount you took off the roller.
I don't have a chop saw. I was thinking about doing the deed with a hack saw. (I could use a good excuse to buy a chop saw)

Also I have a new awning but the distance between the bolt ropes where it attaches to the roller are different. I showed to a upholstery guy who says he can resew it to the correct distance.

When I took the mounting brackets off the Ambassador I busted a couple of Phillips head drill bits. The would not budge. I ended up having to grind off the heads with an angle grinder. Anything special I need to know about attaching the brackets or what kind of fasteners to use
Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
When I install Carefrees on SOBs, they call for lag bolts to secure the mounting brackets to the wood floor section and ceiling sections, and in some cases, expanding rivets.

Zip-dee uses 2 large philips sheetmetal screws (#10) and a rivet to hold the brackets to the ribs. The screws are mounted in a vertical plain and the rivet is to the outside, conforming to the triangular shape of their brackets.

You should hit the rib for strength, as the sheet aluminum is just not strong enough to withstand the forces that the awning will generate.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote