Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Shortening a Zip Dee

Hi,
I am lucky enough to have a 73 Overlander which i imported into uk and restored, i managed to obtain a full length patio awning 2nd hand from a guy who was trying to sell a 34ft triple that had been rolled, amazingly the zip-dee survived virtually intact, i have got the replacement parts from Zip-dee (wonderful service) what i want to know is if any one has ever shortened a zip-dee to fit a smaller trailer and how they did it ?. i think i know what to do but any tips would be most welcome.

Thanks
Tim
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Hi,
I am lucky enough to have a 73 Overlander which i imported into uk and restored, i managed to obtain a full length patio awning 2nd hand from a guy who was trying to sell a 34ft triple that had been rolled, amazingly the zip-dee survived virtually intact, i have got the replacement parts from Zip-dee (wonderful service) what i want to know is if any one has ever shortened a zip-dee to fit a smaller trailer and how they did it ?. i think i know what to do but any tips would be most welcome.

Thanks
Tim
I shortened one and it was fairly easy. Careful measurements are important. I drilled out the rivets and removed the hub from the non spring end of the tube. Cutting the tube and cover slats with a hack saw was easy. Replace the hub and rivet it into the tube. We took the awning to a friend who has an upholstery sewing machine to cut and stitch the awning fabric. We did not remove the fabric from the tube so the wife hand stitched the last couple of inches of fabric that the machine could not reach.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
I shortened one and it was fairly easy. Careful measurements are important. I drilled out the rivets and removed the hub from the non spring end of the tube. Cutting the tube and cover slats with a hack saw was easy. Replace the hub and rivet it into the tube. We took the awning to a friend who has an upholstery sewing machine to cut and stitch the awning fabric. We did not remove the fabric from the tube so the wife hand stitched the last couple of inches of fabric that the machine could not reach.

Good luck, Dan

Thanks Dan,
I thought that was the way to do it, i think i'll measure then measure again !!! Better to be on the safe side.
Thanks Again
Tim
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote