Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Ocala , Florida
Self Made Awning

I would like to figure out how to make my own awning for a small price. I hate to pay people a lot of money for something I can make myself or convert from something else. Does anyone have any good ideas on what I can do to make an awning on a 1971 31' Sovereign?

I am open to all suggestions?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
We are making our own rope and pole awning for our 28ft 63 Ambassador. We purchased nice aluminum adjustable poles at Walmart for $7.00 each and a 9 x 11 painters canvas drop cloth for $25.00 at Lowe's. We are going to cut and sew it to look like a regular awning with nice valances. We are also going to dye it a chocolate brown to match the interior. We will use grommets for the pole openings. It may not be the most beautiful awning but I do not see why it won't work.

63Silver

Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
McHenry , Illinois
You may find that using an "Easy UP" type free standing 10 X 10 gives you more flexibility at a lower cost. You can use it next to the Airstream at one site but at another campsite, it might be better to put it up over the picnic table. They fold up fairly small. I carry one in the back of my truck. I also like my satellite antenna on a tripod rather than mounted to the Airstream, so you can move the antenna around when there are trees blocking the sky view.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
keep in mind that awnings become sails when the wind picks up!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
If it is too cheap it will not last and will eventually become a hassle!
I like CHEAP too...but trouble and replacement isn't cheap.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy 24
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
making awnings

How much do you want to put into an waning? I might have someone that can make it for you at a great price. I have a new rope and pole awning in brown. Very professionally made. We used it at the vintage weekend at the Smokey Mountian Rally. I didn't get any pictures. However, the next time we set it up I will be glad to post one for you.
stillcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
You may find that using an "Easy UP" type free standing 10 X 10 gives you more flexibility at a lower cost. You can use it next to the Airstream at one site but at another campsite, it might be better to put it up over the picnic table. They fold up fairly small. I carry one in the back of my truck. I also like my satellite antenna on a tripod rather than mounted to the Airstream, so you can move the antenna around when there are trees blocking the sky view.
We have one of those....it works great, when we can set it up. Sometimes there is just no place to put it, and an awning would be wonderful. Still looking at options, making our own, ordering a rope and pole from Vintage Trailer Supply, or getting the local tent and awning company to make one for us. or reworking one from a salvage trailer and making that work.

The problem with making our own is that the thread holding it together has to be UV and moisture resistant or it will fall apart in a year or so, and the material also has to be weatherproof. I would be afraid painter's canvas just wouldn't hold up to the elements.

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
We are making our own rope and pole awning for our 28ft 63 Ambassador. We purchased nice aluminum adjustable poles at Walmart for $7.00 each and a 9 x 11 painters canvas drop cloth for $25.00 at Lowe's.
Are you going to do anything to waterproof it? If it's just cotton it'll both absorb the water & leak and rot out pretty quick I would think ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
The problem with making our own is that the thread holding it together has to be UV and moisture resistant or it will fall apart in a year or so, and the material also has to be weatherproof. I would be afraid painter's canvas just wouldn't hold up to the elements.
My thoughts exactly ~

I would think if you just did a "no sew" dropcloth and added grommets for the poles, ala Ralph Lauren, that would work out pretty well and not be too much effort to remake it every couple of years when the cotton gives out.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty | 1946 Curtis Wright Model 2
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
1976 31' Sovereign
Upstate , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillcove View Post
How much do you want to put into an waning? I might have someone that can make it for you at a great price. I have a new rope and pole awning in brown. Very professionally made. We used it at the vintage weekend at the Smokey Mountian Rally. I didn't get any pictures. However, the next time we set it up I will be glad to post one for you.

You mean this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	845_15-Fall_Vintage_Camper_Rally_2009_MistyRiverRVdotCom.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	87596  

"...the most confident critics are generally those who know the least about the matter criticised."

Ulysses S. Grant

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
You still have to have some kind of rope or bead to pull it thru your awning channel to hold it to the trailer. What will you do about that?

Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
I've been thinking about making an awning, too. A place like Seattlefabrics.com would have Sunbrella material which is UV resistant. I think I'll go with this in an Airstream print and sew in a nylon rope with nylon thread. Great tips in this thread with good pros and cons.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
If this link will work, here is an older discussion about making your own awning. Lots of great tips, ideas and external links.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...ing-31560.html

Old 09-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
The painters canvas is actually a little heavier than the Sunbrella. After dying we are going to spay it down with a heavy coat of Scotchguard. If it only last a couple of seasons that is ok, we are trying to find a Sunbrella fabric that will match our interior but not having any luck. The other items, poles, ropes, springs, etc. can be used if and when we find another fabric. We have used the easy up and find it a hassle and very large to store. When it rains it does not cover the door. We'll see how the canvas works, if it doesn't, I'm only out $25.00.

63Silver
Old 09-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
You still have to have some kind of rope or bead to pull it thru your awning channel to hold it to the trailer. What will you do about that?

I used the small, thin, black hose that is used for drip irrigation systems. The hose is reinforced and turned out to be exactly the size I needed to go through the channel. Another benefit is that the hose slid through the awning channel like butter.