Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy 24
Travelers Rest , South Carolina

Thanks for the picture. We didn't have one and I had planned on taking a picture before we let the awning down to waterproof it.

Richard & Linda
Tumbleweed ('78 Argosy)
Travelers Rest, SC
stillcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Jonesboro , Georgia
Awning Making Suggestions

When I joined the forum several years ago, I said I would share my awning making experiences with those of you who were interested in making your own awning. First of all, you will probably need a vintage cast iron sewing machine or an industrial sewing machine. Modern machines ,with plastic parts instead of metal, do not have the power to go through several layers of Sunbrella fabric.I have tried a White Jean Machine and a Singer from the 80's that just couldn't handle it.I have even destroyed a 50's Singer. The heavy nylon thread #69 or thicker,comes in large spools that do not fit on a typical sewing machine. I needed to buy a cast iron thread spool holder. Sunbrella fabric is only 46" wide. When sewing the sections together to obtain your desired width, the fabric becomes very heavy and cumbersome. I kept breaking size 16-18 needles from the sideways pull of the fabric. I found that rolling the fabric into a long tube helped. When I first started making awnings, I tried sewing the cord onto the trailer edge of the fabric by folding the edge over the cord. But remember all of the seams? Well now they are doubled over making the covered cord too thick to fit through the rail in the seamed area! These are just a few of the pitfalls for beginners to consider.I hope this information helps.

Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I used the small, thin, black hose that is used for drip irrigation systems. The hose is reinforced and turned out to be exactly the size I needed to go through the channel. Another benefit is that the hose slid through the awning channel like butter.
I am familiar with that hose, having worked at a nursery/landscaping business for 16 yrs. I think I may have a hundred or so feet of it. How did you attach it? Did you sew the material around it? How did you finish the end that goes into the channel so it slides in easily??
Jim and Sandy

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
This Vinyl Beaded Welt looks like a great way to attack the awning to the trailer. I have not tried it myself; it is available at:
(Vinyl Beaded Welt, Rope, Ropes and Cords, Embossed Welt Style #180, Hidem Welt - Vinyl from Rochford Supply - Your Online Textile and Upholstery Superstore!)

Also called tonneau welt. Vinyl open center welt for use with awning rail. Cut to length, sew the lip to tonneau material. To be used in place of rope. The minimum order for this item is 20 feet. Bead size: 5/16". Overall size: 3/4".

BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
We finally have our new awning! We had it made by a local tent and awning company, and it is beautiful! However, we needed poles, so off we went to Academy Sports, which is the only place in town we could get any..........however, they were really thin and wimpy and just bowed like noodles when we put the awning up for a test run. Back to the store to return them, and to good ol' yankee ingenuity. We got galvanized electrical conduit, in 1", cut it to 5' lengths. We also had conduit in 3/4" od, which fit nicely inside the 1" size, and cut it in 4' pieces. Drilled holes, near the top of the 1" stock and matching holes in the 3/4" so that the total length would be 8'. A cotter pin thru the holes secured the two pieces together. In the top of the 3/4" piece, a 1/4" nail (spike, really) about 6" long was inserted, head down, and secured with lots of epoxy putty. Then a plastic cap (available at the hardware store next to the crutch tips) had a hole poked in it and slid down to cover the top of the pole. A crutch tip went on the bottom, the nail was filed off smooth to keep it from being a lethal weapon, and voila! Sturdy tent poles, collapsible down to 5 feet, and a lot less expensive than the commercial ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5679.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	667.4 KB
ID:	88197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5682.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	540.1 KB
ID:	88198  

Jim and Sandy

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
1965 30' Sovereign
Chico , California

What were those $7 aluminum, adjustable poles originally sold as/intended for? Asked around at Lowes today for something similar with no luck. Hmmm...
SaraBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Austin, TX & , Colorado
extruded vinyl welt

I just ordered some vinyl welt to attach to my fabric for a DIY awning.

I found a few different places on the net that offered it, but

Sunbrella Fabrics, Sailcloth, Canvas Fabric and Sail Hardware, Gill Foul Weather Gear and More!

had quite a few choices and seems really easy to order from. They also have plenty of the other materials needed for awning making.
bgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
1970 27' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
We went to a trailer store and asked about awnings. They ended up having a large awning that had been stored by them for the last 10 years. They let us have it for a pittance and we had it cut down by a local shop for $35. We are now looking at how to reattach it to the awning mechanism and to the trailer. We have an old Carefree model and wish it was Zip-dee, but that is beyond our funding.

Lotus72 is offline   Reply With Quote