Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
Securing Awning to Trailer and Roller Tube - Material Wanted

I'm having an awning sewn by local upholstery man. One detail we are trying to work out is method & materials to secure awning to trailer and roller tube.

Original (?) awning has a 1/4" solid plastic rod that slides into the track on the camper and the roller tube. Upholstery man uses 1/4" nylon rope. The little sample we made would seem to allow awning to slide which would cause awning to bunch on that end. We're going to try 5/16" and 3/8" rope.

Anybody have any experience or insight on materials used regarding this detail?

While I don't think it matters the original awning was A&E/Carefree. While I use heavy wall (0.065) LDPE tubing at work - I would like to find some solid plastic 1/4 material - any threads on that would be appreciated.
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGJackson View Post
I'm having an awning sewn by local upholstery man. One detail we are trying to work out is method & materials to secure awning to trailer and roller tube.

Original (?) awning has a 1/4" solid plastic rod that slides into the track on the camper and the roller tube. Upholstery man uses 1/4" nylon rope. The little sample we made would seem to allow awning to slide which would cause awning to bunch on that end. We're going to try 5/16" and 3/8" rope.

Anybody have any experience or insight on materials used regarding this detail?

While I don't think it matters the original awning was A&E/Carefree. While I use heavy wall (0.065) LDPE tubing at work - I would like to find some solid plastic 1/4 material - any threads on that would be appreciated.
Old style vintage awnings use rope sewn into top to pull into track an trailer, this allowed awning to fold up when removed from track. Care free used small screw into track at both ends to secure material from sliding also could be used on roller. IMO doesn't have to be solid rod either top or roller end of awning.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #3
1977 31' Excella 500

1977 31' Excella 500
Dallas , Texas
Go to sailrite.com. it"s called rope and its really a nylon plastic with a tab to sew to the fabric. Comes in various diameters. Your awning guy is patching it up. Get him the right rope.
Jack Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Awning

My original Carefree awning has a nylon welt sewn into the loop of the awning canvas at both the awning rail and the awning tube. It is held into the tracks on both by a metal screw at both ends that keeps the material from sliding out of the tracks. I have two vintage Carefree awning rollers from the 60's that were never installed on trailers that have that same manufacture technique so very positive that this is the way it was from the factory. Most boat and tent canvas shops have the nylon welt and/or plastic insert material you will need to install the awning material correctly in the tracks so it won't pop out. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Look for "living hinge" for Apache Campers. Apache Sales Corp has it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
From your description of the awning spline, it sounds like what Zip Dee Awnings calls 'Polycord', which is their plastic spline sewn into the awning fabric for attaching the awning to the awning rail. If you call Zip Dee parts department you can order some--its pretty cheap!

See post 118 of this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...-131783-5.html
for our awning spline replacement adventure.

Best of luck,

Burnside

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote