Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Screened porch under awning...?

When my wife and I boated on the Great Lakes, we screened in our aft cockpit. While under way, we rolled the screening up and snapped it to the awning that covered the cockpit. When we docked, we unsnapped the screening, rolled it down to the gunwhales and snapped them in place. The screening kept all bugs, insects, flies and mosquitoes outside and we could safely sit in the cockpit and enjoy the views. Can such a thing be done with our awning on our International??? Snap the screening to the awning and simply drop it to the ground - perhaps weight the bottom to keep it in place. Do that on three sides and we would have a very nice, large screened porch into which we could move the picnic table or whatever amenities we find at our campground. Has this been done by anyone? I was told there was an aftermarket product that would do this job. We've just gotten our AS - still at the dealer's being prepped and it's our first so I don't know the particulars of doing such a job and would appreciate any information anyone might have on such a project. THANKS!!!!!!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
We have a screen room on our '74. The operation of the screen room is not quite as simple as you would like it however, the front (long) panel slides in the roller and then you attach the sides to the trailer body and the front panel. All the screen rooms that I have seen are installed and then un-installed per use. It is however pretty simple and takes about 10 minutes to put up and say 5 minutes to take down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	029.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	48962  
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
To complete my previous post, I would expect to unsnap the screening and fold it up upon departure. I would probably haul the screening in the TV depending upon the size of the package. Is this something that might be done??
Old 11-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim
Can such a thing be done with our awning on our International???....
yes, even in a matching color...

as long as it's 'screen' tropical!

Awnings By ZipDee

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Howdy Pilgrim,

Sorry just had to say it. Yes the screen room unsnaps from the TT and slides off the roller tube, and TADA! your done. Fold it up, excuse me roll it up and store it away. I do not know what prices are exactly, but I would expect that you would pay a good amount of money for one ($400 - $600).
Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
My 74 came with a screen room, never used it and don't see myself ever getting another one. I do use the sun screens and have one for every awning on the unit. They keep a lot of sunlight off the sides of the trailer.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:10 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A screen room is one of the things I would like for our trailer, as most places we go have mosquitoes--lots of them.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
WOW!! What great pics. It looks like all I need to do is get in touch with ZIpDee. Probably send measurements and they'll do the rest. Does this sound right?? Need to get in touch with them.

Thanks to all!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
For anyone thinking about the Tropic Room - ZippDee makes them to match the size of your awning. They snap onto the side of the AS to make a fairly "solid" completely enclosed space to keep out the bugs, mosquitoes, flies, and whatever else you encounter while camping (probably not bears). The screening folds up into self contained carrying cases that don't take up a lot of space. The dealer from whom we purchased our 25' International OB has ordered it for us and will install it for us over the winter. We are really excited about this additional room we'll have available while traveling the country.
Again, thanks to all that responded to my original question. These forums work!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Pilgrim,

I am glad we could all help, please be sure to post a picture when you get it put on.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Rhonda and Dave,
Your screen house is so nice! Putting up our stand alone screen hut gets a little old...and takes too long to put up imho, I like your solution best!

Question--when it gets windy and stormy do you have to pull it all down and roll the awning up or can you anchor it?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Sunny South , Florida
One more question, Rhonda, if you are still logged in on this thread, how does the screen room attach to the trailer? Thanks, Gwen Oh, and does it go all the way under the door to totally block out bugs?
A/SimpleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Luckily the weather hasn't been too bad since we have been using the awning. The paperwork doesn't say anything about using it in bad weather but I suppose if it is ever too bad we would take it down and roll up the awning. The screen room was purchased in 1978 and came to us brand new in the box when we bought the trailer. We just started using it this year since we replaced the awning fabric. It attaches to the trailer with snaps that we had to rivet to the trailer. Then it attaches to the awning with velcro. There is a vinyl striped skirt that covers the gap between the trailer and the ground. Having an 8 x 20 screen room really expands the living space and with the three kids we need all we can get!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
great space

We watched Rhonda and hubby put their little screen room on at the Metro Detroit rally. Looked easy and sure looked convenient!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Screened porch for sleeping the grand children?

Our previous trailer had a screened room but it had roll down curtins for privacy so one could sleep out in it. And of course, we thought that this would be a nice addition so our growing grand children could sleep in it. But then I find out that it's only a solar screen room and an expensive on at that.

I guess I'll call Zip-Dee and get their take on what might be used to make it a little more camp able. We're just now getting ready to retire and make use of the AS for longer outings.

Has anyone had the experience to sleep out in their solar screen room? We're tent campers from way back and still have gear to get out and rough it if necessary. The AS just makes it unnecessary!!!
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote